• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WHO needs a gun in a Post Office?

MSC 45ACP

Gee... It sure is GREAT to be disarmed in a nice, safe, GUN-FREE Criminal-safe zone, isn't it?
I know Postal Inspectors are authorized to be "armed in the performance of their duties", but has anyone ever met one or even SEEN a Postal Inspector?
I sure haven't!
I've never seen any kind of security in a Post Office...

=======================================================

Police Say Man Stabbed at Silver Spring Post Office Over Cutting in Line

Editor Whitney Teal whitney.teal@patch.com
From the Colesville Patch

A 58-year-old male was stabbed outside of the U.S. Post Office in Colesville Thursday afternoon. Police say another man mistakenly thought he had cut in line.

A 67-year-old man stabbed a 58-year-old man outside of the United States Post Office in Colesville at 13217 New Hampshire Ave. Thursday because the man thought the victim had cut in line, police said.

Officers were called to the scene at 2:18 p.m. Thursday.

The suspect was waiting in line when he observed the victim step in front of him to complete his business, police said. The victim had previously been working with a postal service employee and had stepped aside to finish some paperwork. He was motioned back to the counter by an employee, police said.

The suspect interpreted the action as cutting in line, police said, and waited outside of the post office under the vestibule for the victim to come outside. When the suspect spotted the victim, he attacked him, police said.

Two female postal workers tried to break up the fight, according to police, and at least one of the employees pepper sprayed the suspect.

“The actions of these employees may have saved the life of, but most definitely assisted in preventing further injury to, the victim,” police officials wrote in a press statement.

Police found the victim suffering from “multiple” stab wounds when they arrived at the scene.

Police found a suspect about a mile away, near the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue and Route 29. His name has not been released because he has not been formally charged.

The victim was transported to a local hospital with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have met a Postal Inspector - he was a nice guy.

Got tired of the amount of junk mail from one distribution outfit and wanted to put a stop to it. Filled out the paperwork complaining that they filled my mailbox with unsolicited sexually oriented matter. Inspector raised his eyebrow at me but I just looked him in the face and told him that <list of junk mail received> aroused purient interest and I did not wish to receive it. I think he knew what I was trying to do, but he had to process my complaint and send notice to rthe distribution outfit that they either take my name off their mailing list or face stiff fines the first two times and prison after that. Guess whose junk mail load went way down?:)

Has anybody kept up with the folks out in Idaho (?) Wyoming (?) Colorado (?) who filed against the USPS regs because they could only receive mail at the PO (no rural route delivery) and had legitimate wild-animal protection needs? How did that turn out?

stay safe.

TFred

TFred

Bonidy et al v. United States Postal Service et al

PROTECTIVE ORDER re 27 , by Judge Richard P. Matsch on 4/6/2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/colorado/codce/1:2010cv02408/122068/
Why is the USPS fighting this? Can't they read the writing on the wall? They're already losing a ton of money on running their business, how can they afford to spend even a dime fighting what will inevitably be a losing battle?

And what are they trying to hide from the public with this protective order? This is really starting to stink.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why is the USPS fighting this? Can't they read the writing on the wall? They're already losing a ton of money on running their business, how can they afford to spend even a dime fighting what will inevitably be a losing battle?

And what are they trying to hide from the public with this protective order? This is really starting to stink.

TFred

Protective order? Not allowed to come with 500 ft and have no personal contact? :confused:

davidmcbeth

Banned
They're already losing a ton of money on running their business, how can they afford to spend even a dime fighting what will inevitably be a losing battle?

And what are they trying to hide from the public with this protective order?

TFred

They pay for everything in stamps !

And that protective order? Courts usually don't issue these like cotton candy; someone should ask for the order to be lifted at some point in time. Also, 1/2 the time you go to the courthouse and ask for the hard copy record, they'll hand you anything stamped confidential too! Clerks aren't too concerned most of the time.

gm2max

I went out of my way to go to FedEx yesterday. Yes I spent an extra $5 to mail it, but I am allowed to carry my gun there.

GeoffD

Postal inspectors, when not sitting behind a desk following leads for mail fraud, identity theft and such, are generally in the observation catwalks of Post Offices out of view and behind one way mirrors. Whenever executing search or arrest warrants, they always collaborate with local law enforcement, which is probably why they mostly go unnoticed.

It's funny - whenever any hunting season starts, the parking lot isn't as full, but the side streets just off Postal property are.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So whatever the USPS wants to designate as "Confidential - For Attorney Eyes Only" cannot even be shared with the plaintiffs? To coin a phrase - that sucks! It may also be the basis of an appeal of an outcome adverse to the plaintiffs on the ground that they were unable to effectively prosecute their complaint. I wonder just how much thought the judge gave to that when deciding to keep the rest of the coumntry from learning about the inner working of the USPS?

stay safe.

wylde007

I went out of my way to go to FedEx yesterday. Yes I spent an extra $5 to mail it, but I am allowed to carry my gun there.
Heck, just flag down a driver for either big company and they'll take what you want wherever you want so long as you've got a paid shipping label.

Neplusultra

Heck, just flag down a driver for either big company and they'll take what you want wherever you want so long as you've got a paid shipping label.

I've had many overnight shipments by UPS like that. If I didn't make the pickup time I'd have to take the package to the UPS store or their terminal. On the way I'd be "hunting" for brown trucks in hopes of shortening the trip :^).