• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Combs-Getting my M1 back

M1fan1942

Hey guys, for those who are interested, I have good news and bad news, I get my rifle back Monday, but they only will let me set an AM appointment to pick it up. So I am going at 8:30am to get it. So, at 7:00 that night, I'm planning to be at Shaine park if anyone would like to join me. I would be up for that weekend Sometime as well if that works better.

Small_Arms_Collector

Hey guys, for those who are interested, I have good news and bad news, I get my rifle back Monday, but they only will let me set an AM appointment to pick it up. So I am going at 8:30am to get it. So, at 7:00 that night, I'm planning to be at Shaine park if anyone would like to join me. I would be up for that weekend Sometime as well if that works better.

I may, or may not be available in the morning, but I will certainly be available that night.

Will you be OCing the M! again?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
sounds good, i will likely be there in the evening, but work obligations will likely make it impossible for me to show up in the AM. thanks for setting up an evening gathering.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would suggest bringing a camera/video cam in case you see damage to your firearm so you can document it prior to leaving the bldg...

Or videotape your process of getting it ...

Ya driving or walking to the PD? Park 2 blocks down and just carry it to your car lol.

Planning on a 42 USC 1983 suit? Not alot of $$ to win but a lawyer might take it contingency for a 66% cut...

DanM

I get my rifle back Monday, but they only will let me set an AM appointment to pick it up.

Well, of course, they wanted it on a weekday, in the morning. It's an attempt to minimize the numbers of OC'ers that may accompany you and further PR embarrassment for them. For being so quick to to violate individuals' rights, they sure are thoughtful and methodical about those other things.

ken243

Good to hear.

+1 on the checks for damage. If it is damaged be sure to file a complaint. Also it might interest you to know that often guns that are taken (in this case, stolen) into custody are sent to the MSP for ballistics testing and filing. Something you could ask about...

Last edited:

sasha601

And why should BPD be able do dictate time for your property be returned? Why appointment? Tey dragged you unfairly through the process and, then continue to dictate terms. I would just tell them that you do not want to be bounded by a specific time. BDP has normal business hours. Tell them that you will come at a time convenient to you anytime during these hours. What does it take to return a rifle?

budlight

Since they are the ones that messed up, I would think a time of your choice would be in order. Last I heard police departments were open 24/7.

Also, they will probably have you sign an evidence release form. BEFORE signing, inspect your weapon thoroughly, and READ any fine print. There are usually disclaimers on these forms that you agree that you received everything back in the condition they confiscated it, and that you hold them harmless. If there is a problem or you don’t agree with the release form, leave and call your lawyer.

davidmcbeth

Banned
There are usually disclaimers on these forms that you agree that you received everything back in the condition they confiscated it, and that you hold them harmless.

Just scratch it out. I do this all the time with contracts .. with phrases I don't like.

davidmcbeth

Banned
What MI law requires Mr. Combs to sign anything to get his property back. If he refuses to sign, then what? Police will not return his rifle?

I can see signing a receipt saying he got it but not anything like a release of liability. Its just a record of the transfer occurring. What if someone who looks like him is just handed the gun?

M1fan1942

Yeah I'm going to call tomorrow to try and get an evening "appointment" because I think it's crap I have to set an appointment. Also, I will bring a video recorder in with me and record everything, including any marks on the rifle. I will check for function and any weird barrel wear. Plus, to make sure it is clean since I cleaned it before I left. Any forms will be read twice. And Ken, can you give me more info about that MSP?

Super Trucker

What MI law requires Mr. Combs to sign anything to get his property back. If he refuses to sign, then what? Police will not return his rifle?

Since the rifle was not in his possession for X amount of time, I would damn sure want papers saying that I received it back on X date at X time.