• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Colorado

usaf veteran

I have just recently moved to Colorado and just purchased a hand gun. I have not yet open carried but i will do it in time I am sure. I am more nervous of what people think and how judgmental they will be when they see the average citizen walking around armed. If someone asks me when the day comes why I open carry I will simply tell them I am a veteran and I support and defend the constitution of the United States. I will then inform them that it is my right as a citizen of the USA and Colorado. I hope someday I will not be afraid to exercise my 2nd amendment right. Thank you everyone that OC's for keeping our streets say by being a deterrent!

Wolfstanus

Hello there.

Don't worry about what strangers think of you as most ignore you. Others will just ask simple questions or simply inform you that the hammer is cocked back on your sidearm. Not very common to run into troubles when ocing.

Also familiarize yourself with your local laws. I started to oc in my car and paying at the pump at gas stations. I later graduated to Waly world. In about 2 years of ocing I have really only had one problem with the law. Drew my sidearm once.

Thank you phone for the ninja corrections. :/

Last edited:

usaf veteran

I will definitely want to open carry in the National Forests while hiking. I think that will be the first place i go, you never know when a bear is going to attack! Highly unlikely but hey, you never know!

wmodavis

Welcome to OCDO and to Colorado.
OCing is not really as ominous as it sounds. Of course I was coached by M-T who was a great help to me.
I OC'd today in Sams Club and at a gas station. No one seemed to notice.
I don't see a lot of people doing it so I had a tendency to feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb. Experience does not bear that out.
There is an OC barbeque in Franktown on Aug 4th. You ought to plan on coming. There is an announcement on here somewhere about it. All are welcome. I'm planning on it and think I'll OC at the gun show at the Castle Rock Fair grounds tomorrow.

Again welcome!

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Last edited:

M-Taliesin

I hope someday I will not be afraid to exercise my 2nd amendment right.

Howdy Pardner!
First, I thank you for your service to our nation.
Next, I am concerned by your use of the word *afraid* in the quote above.
Fear? Really? In Colorado? Because of carrrying out your right under the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States,
along with Article 2, sections 3 and 13 of the Colorado Constitution?

You are in fear of all the wrong things amigo. I would think fear would be much more appropriate for running around unarmed.
When people are so frequently taken by surprise; assaulted, robbed, murdered or otherwise abused, and uanble to defend themselves, that's cause for fear.
On the 20th, a massive shooting of innocent civilians in a theater in Aurora, there's something to fear.
A kid going to school at a gun free school zone, that's something to fear.
Carrying a handgun legally for your own protection, ain't no cause for you to be fearful.

Ask yourself what it is to be fearful of?
That another citizen might give you the 'stink-eye'? Whoa... there's some trauma!
Or perhaps that you may be asked about why you have a gun? (btw, your answers are okay, but not especially effective. You can do better just saying that your life is worth defending, along with your family, friends, neighbors and even theirs if it came to it!) But a question ain't cause for fear!
Or perhaps you are fearful of that first LEO encounter. What LEO encounter? Read this forum. LEO encounters usually take the form of:
"LEO Encounter Today, nothing happened! Aw, shucks!"
What cause do you have to be afraid to openly carry? I can provide an abundance of cause for doing otherwise.

I have a case coming through that will require me to visit Colorado Springs a few times in coming days.
Perhaps what you need is somebody to tag along with who has been open carrying for awhile.
Go along and see how much a non-issue open carry really is.
Learn how the general populace is far more accepting of legally armed citizens exercising their 2a rights.
See for yourself how some even walk up to the LAC and thank them for carrying.
Maybe even find out, as a couple of folks I've mentored did, that an LEO encounter can be a positive and even fun affair.

I applaud your desire to exercise your 2a rights, but ask you who is keeping you from exercising your 2a rights?
It ain't your fellow citizens. It ain't the laws of Colorado. It ain't the LEO's who understand the your right to carry.
The only person stopping you would be.... you!
Fear is just an illusion for what might happen, but seldom actually does!
Dont wait for Lent, give it up today!
And if you want a seasoned hand to help you through your first experiences, just tag me on PM.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

usaf veteran

I guess fear really was not the correct word. The only thing I am really fearful of is like you said, being unarmed when a conflict arises and not being able to properly defend myself. This whole thing is new to me, and as someone who has never open carried a hand gun I guess I am more anxious to see how people around will take to the fact that I am an armed law abiding citizen. Don't get me wrong opinions and peoples perception mean nothing to me but this whole concept in general is new to me. The only time I have open carried a weapon was when I was in the military and that is the norm. I really would like to have someone show me the ropes on open carrying, someone with experience such as yourself!

PikesPeakMtnMan

I think we were all apprehensive to start carrying at first...but it really is a non-issue for most people (either us OCers or those who see us OCing).

There's nothing wrong with easing yourself into it. Start by OCing while you gas up your car at the pump. Hang out for a couple hours or so with a more experienced OCer. Go to a place that you're a "regular" at, whether its a convenience store, gas station, restaurant, or wherever you're known to the staff. My own first experience was at a fast food place that I used to stop by after work whenever I worked on Saturdays and I was known to all the staff and at the time that I went there I was usually the only person around....except that on this day when I decided to OC for the first time the place was PACKED, oh well. Oh yeah, no problems then or in the years since.

hazek

I will then inform them that it is my right as a citizen of the USA and Colorado. I hope someday I will not be afraid to exercise my 2nd amendment right.

I think it's such a shame most people think like this. So what you're saying is if you weren't a citizen you wouldn't have rights? Are you saying that the mere 4 pieces of paper(i.e. the Constitution) is what gives you your rights? :banghead:

How about you wake up and inform them of this instead: "Excuse me, but I'm a free individual and not a slave, my rights stop where everyone else's begin, and as is protected by the constitution, no one can stop me from carrying a tool for self defense if I so choose, as long as I don't infringe on your natural rights(life/property)."

Last edited:

usaf veteran

I think it's such a shame most people think like this. So what you're saying is if you weren't a citizen you wouldn't have rights? Are you saying that the mere 4 pieces of paper(i.e. the Constitution) is what gives you your rights? :banghead:

How about you wake up and inform them of this instead: "Excuse me, but I'm a free individual and not a slave, my rights stop where everyone else's begin, and as is protected by the constitution, no one can stop me from carrying a tool for self defense if I so choose, as long as I don't infringe on your natural rights(life/property)."

Go to half the other countries in the world and see what kind of rights people have, they are non existent.

Wolfstanus

Governments can and do remove rights. In the uk as fare as I know you don't really have the right to defend yoursel. (you do and you don't). Both Australia and England had their firearms taken away. A number of countries have no freedom of speech. A number don't even have rights. The constitution only gives us rights if the government follows it. They have and do "interpret" it to fit their needs. For now it's to a certain extent.

carsontech

Activist Member
No government can give or take away anyone's rights, they can only infringe upon the natural rights people are born with.

I own my body and have a right to do what I want to it. If the government makes some silly law that says I can't do something to my own body, that doesn't mean I don't have that right anymore. That just means the government is infringing on my right.

Did the black salves not have the right to be free just because the government or a group of people said they don't?

Words written on pieces of parchment don't give or take anyone's rights away, either. Nor can pieces of parchment stop a government from doing anything it wants.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have just recently moved to Colorado and just purchased a hand gun. I have not yet open carried but i will do it in time I am sure. I am more nervous of what people think and how judgmental they will be when they see the average citizen walking around armed. If someone asks me when the day comes why I open carry I will simply tell them I am a veteran and I support and defend the constitution of the United States. I will then inform them that it is my right as a citizen of the USA and Colorado. I hope someday I will not be afraid to exercise my 2nd amendment right. Thank you everyone that OC's for keeping our streets say by being a deterrent!

Like yourself, I'm also an Air Force veteran. Those of us on this forum meet on a fairly regular basis. Keep your eyes peeled and come join us!

- since9

wmodavis

ShadeTree - Yeah I had heard that but forgot. Not good. But they simply asked me to check it at the registration desk and held my ammo.

It was an OK show, my first and saw some interesting stuff. Only money spent was entrance fee. Was disappointed at ammo costs. Hoping they might be better. Can get better deal at Wally or over the internet even with shipping.

Might also stop in to the Tanner shoe this next Sat for curiosity sake but can't stay long as there is suppose to be some good eatin' and fellowship in Franktown which might even be better then a show (of the gun type).
Bill

S

scubabeme

Welcome fellow vet! You will find all kinds of advice here, though sometimes discussions can get heated on various topics. You get used to it, just like OC.

Carry on!

M-Taliesin

Careful!!!!!!

Open Carrying of Firearms
Pursuant to Colorado Revised Statute number 29-11.7-104 and Resolution No. R-003-075, open carrying
of firearms is prohibited at all Douglas County Facilities.

Taken from here http://www.douglas.co.us/eventscenter/documents/DC_policy_procedure.pdf

Edit;
I have learned that this would be exempted under the preemption law?

Howdy Shadetreez!
As the local government runs the county fairground facilities, they can prohibit carry there. Note:

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits
the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local
government's jurisdiction.

Since the facilities and the fairgrounds are a function of county government, they can prohibit carry.
That being said, it must be clearly posted at all entrances to the facility/grounds.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

acmariner99

I wouldn't be so hard on him. Standing up for your rights on a regular basis is no easy task. And there is the possibility of scorn and harassment -- though such situations are rare. I was apprehensive at first and to be honest there are still certain places where I have concerns (be they valid or not) about open carrying. I am proud to exercise my rights as a free person as often as I can -- but I understand nervousness and apprehension about possibly being a target of people's scorn. So here are a few helpful and friendly pointers:

1) As a few have already stated, start small, and start in familiar surroundings. (My first OC was actually at a bank where all of the tellers knew me and the manager was already very 2A friendly. He saw on my bank statement that I had bought a firearm recently and wanted to know all about it)
2) Get accustomed to having your firearm on your hip and act normally -- a friendly smile or hello dissuades the majority of people's 'concerns.'
3) Plan a strategy for how you plan to engage (or not engage) individuals with questions be they merely curious or hostile to the 2A (the later is extremely rare). Open carry is the visible essence of the 2nd Amendment - so we are ambassadors to the public at large of that right and its implications and importance. Our actions and our responses are scrutinized.
4) An extension of #3 above is know the law -- again our actions are scrutinized by the public.

F350

Howdy Shadetreez!
As the local government runs the county fairground facilities, they can prohibit carry there. Note:

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits
the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local
government's jurisdiction.

Since the facilities and the fairgrounds are a function of county government, they can prohibit carry.
That being said, it must be clearly posted at all entrances to the facility/grounds.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Question 'ole wise one...

Does the permanently installed metal detector manned by LEO checking every person entering rule apply??