Thread: stopped while shopping...

Question stopped while shopping...

Today while shopping in K mart in Lorain Ohio I was approached by a young man who was the theft control officer of the store and was told I cannot carry my firearm in the store,I was open carrying since it was to hot to conceal.He stated that signs on the doors stated no weapons allowed but I informed him I shopped here for years carrying my weapon concealed and open and even talked with a manager while open carrying without any problems.I informed him there was no signs and never were,He said he would check the doors and call police after he verified the signs were there,he was wrong,I told him I would gladly leave and spend my money somewhere else,then told him if he felt compelled to call police to just do it,I broke no laws.After i left I called Sears Corporate and complained to them about the attitude displayed by their young security guard and that I would appreciate a statement concerning their rules on CCW or open carry in their stores.After a few minutes on hold I was told the manager of Kmart would call me about the incident and that they didn,t have any rules on this matter.Anybody know their rules

Sears policy is to follow state laws.
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

Banned
    really does not matter .. if asked to leave for any reason you should; then complain like you have been mentioning this guy's name if you want him fired.

Its bogus, I agree.

Angry

still haven,t recieved a call from the K mart manager and drove by the store to see they posted ant-gun signs today,after all these years they finally posted signs,i encourage all to call and complain...

I think a little more tact would have gone a long way. A voice recorder would also be helpful. Just from your writing it seems as though you may have had an attitude.

It's difficult to tell attitude in fora postings. I didn't perceive what Dan wrote as such. A voice recorder is definitely a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dan from ohio View Post
    still haven,t recieved a call from the K mart manager and drove by the store to see they posted ant-gun signs today,after all these years they finally posted signs,i encourage all to call and complain...
    You know the Kmart owns Sears.. Not the other way around, right?

Did you call 88Sears or some other number?

I suggest talking to the LP officer's manager or the store's District Manager. If there were no signs (There shouldn't be) then it will at least prompt a visit form the DM which is not something the store will want.

Quote Originally Posted by dan from ohio View Post
    Today while shopping in K mart in Lorain Ohio I was approached by a young man who was the theft control officer of the store and was told I cannot carry my firearm in the store,I was open carrying since it was to hot to conceal.He stated that signs on the doors stated no weapons allowed but I informed him I shopped here for years carrying my weapon concealed and open and even talked with a manager while open carrying without any problems.I informed him there was no signs and never were,He said he would check the doors and call police after he verified the signs were there,he was wrong,I told him I would gladly leave and spend my money somewhere else,then told him if he felt compelled to call police to just do it,I broke no laws.After i left I called Sears Corporate and complained to them about the attitude displayed by their young security guard and that I would appreciate a statement concerning their rules on CCW or open carry in their stores.After a few minutes on hold I was told the manager of Kmart would call me about the incident and that they didn,t have any rules on this matter.Anybody know their rules
    Paragraphs, proper capitalization and spaces after the end of sentences add greatly to one's ability to read posts and also affects one's perception of the poster.

That being said, you said "After i left I called Sears Corporate..." - it's never a good idea to call corporate unless the manager or his representative has booted you. You're just asking for a company to create a policy where one may not exist. Don't give them that opportunity.

I suggest that the better route would have been to seek out the store manager and tell him about the loss prevention officer's attitude/incorrectness of his assertions, and let him deal with it.

You said the officer said he would "call police" - how did he say that? (threat/for information/etc.) It's not clear, but depending on your response, that's a part of your post that may need a reply.
    Last edited by BB62; 08-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Dear Jeff Slack,

Thank you for contacting Kmart, and we appreciate hearing from you.

We understand that you have concerns regarding a sign at the store that
    states no guns are allowed. Because gun laws and policies vary by state,
    we ask that you please contact the store directly, and management can
    discuss the policy with you. If you have any additional questions or
    concerns, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Kmart, and we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
    Corey G.
    Sears Holdings Corporation

Corey G.

Thank you for your timely reply.

I'm not sure if I understand. Does the individual store have the option to post 'no guns' regardless of state law? From what I am told by other activists around the state this appears to be a isolated insolent, that other K Mart stores are not posted.

For example: Starbucks has a policy that mirrors State law. If its legal in the state to carry, like Ohio, then it permitted in their coffee shops. I use this example due to the national media attention they received when this policy was made public. From what I read in Second Amendment activist's forums their bottom line went up 8% shortly after that.

I also must apologize for my previous statement that 260, 000 people in Ohio have now gotten their carry permits in Ohio, the number is closer to 300,000. Due to the recent (unfortunate) event in Aurora, Colorado more and more people are learning that they and they alone are responsible for their own safety.

Again, thank you for your time.
    Jeff Slack

My reply, oh and I made up the part about the 8%

Dear Jeff Slack,

Thank you for your recent correspondence. We are always interested in
    hearing from our customers, and regret it was this type of situation
    that prompted you to contact us. Please accept our apology for any
    inconvenience you may have encountered

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused the customers. The
    signs that are posted on the store are request by the executive level
    which reserve the right to prohibit guns in the store for public safety.

By sharing your concerns, you have enabled us to address the issues and
    provide feedback to the appropriate person. Truly, your remarks provide
    forthright feedback that will enable Sears to achieve excellence in
    everything we do.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
    Michelle C.
    Sears Holdings Corporation

As of 6:45, August 1, there are no longer gun buster signs up at Super K. Whether it was because of the emails that were sent or not, I don't know. But the signs are down.
    Last edited by JSlack7851; 08-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSlack7851 View Post
    ...this appears to be a isolated insolent...
    I *really* dislike isolated insolents, but isolated incidents I can deal with.

I'm glad the signs are down, though!