• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stopped while shopping...

dan from ohio

Today while shopping in K mart in Lorain Ohio I was approached by a young man who was the theft control officer of the store and was told I cannot carry my firearm in the store,I was open carrying since it was to hot to conceal.He stated that signs on the doors stated no weapons allowed but I informed him I shopped here for years carrying my weapon concealed and open and even talked with a manager while open carrying without any problems.I informed him there was no signs and never were,He said he would check the doors and call police after he verified the signs were there,he was wrong,I told him I would gladly leave and spend my money somewhere else,then told him if he felt compelled to call police to just do it,I broke no laws.After i left I called Sears Corporate and complained to them about the attitude displayed by their young security guard and that I would appreciate a statement concerning their rules on CCW or open carry in their stores.After a few minutes on hold I was told the manager of Kmart would call me about the incident and that they didn,t have any rules on this matter.Anybody know their rules

davidmcbeth

Banned
really does not matter .. if asked to leave for any reason you should; then complain like you have been mentioning this guy's name if you want him fired.

Its bogus, I agree.

dan from ohio

still haven,t recieved a call from the K mart manager and drove by the store to see they posted ant-gun signs today,after all these years they finally posted signs,i encourage all to call and complain...

JmE

It's difficult to tell attitude in fora postings. I didn't perceive what Dan wrote as such. A voice recorder is definitely a good idea.

419OC

still haven,t recieved a call from the K mart manager and drove by the store to see they posted ant-gun signs today,after all these years they finally posted signs,i encourage all to call and complain...

You know the Kmart owns Sears.. Not the other way around, right?

Did you call 88Sears or some other number?

I suggest talking to the LP officer's manager or the store's District Manager. If there were no signs (There shouldn't be) then it will at least prompt a visit form the DM which is not something the store will want.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Today while shopping in K mart in Lorain Ohio I was approached by a young man who was the theft control officer of the store and was told I cannot carry my firearm in the store,I was open carrying since it was to hot to conceal.He stated that signs on the doors stated no weapons allowed but I informed him I shopped here for years carrying my weapon concealed and open and even talked with a manager while open carrying without any problems.I informed him there was no signs and never were,He said he would check the doors and call police after he verified the signs were there,he was wrong,I told him I would gladly leave and spend my money somewhere else,then told him if he felt compelled to call police to just do it,I broke no laws.After i left I called Sears Corporate and complained to them about the attitude displayed by their young security guard and that I would appreciate a statement concerning their rules on CCW or open carry in their stores.After a few minutes on hold I was told the manager of Kmart would call me about the incident and that they didn,t have any rules on this matter.Anybody know their rules
Paragraphs, proper capitalization and spaces after the end of sentences add greatly to one's ability to read posts and also affects one's perception of the poster.

That being said, you said "After i left I called Sears Corporate..." - it's never a good idea to call corporate unless the manager or his representative has booted you. You're just asking for a company to create a policy where one may not exist. Don't give them that opportunity.

I suggest that the better route would have been to seek out the store manager and tell him about the loss prevention officer's attitude/incorrectness of his assertions, and let him deal with it.

You said the officer said he would "call police" - how did he say that? (threat/for information/etc.) It's not clear, but depending on your response, that's a part of your post that may need a reply.

Last edited:

JSlack7851

Dear Jeff Slack,

Thank you for contacting Kmart, and we appreciate hearing from you.

We understand that you have concerns regarding a sign at the store that
states no guns are allowed. Because gun laws and policies vary by state,
we ask that you please contact the store directly, and management can
discuss the policy with you. If you have any additional questions or
concerns, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for choosing Kmart, and we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
Corey G.
Sears Holdings Corporation

Corey G.

Thank you for your timely reply.

I'm not sure if I understand. Does the individual store have the option to post 'no guns' regardless of state law? From what I am told by other activists around the state this appears to be a isolated insolent, that other K Mart stores are not posted.

For example: Starbucks has a policy that mirrors State law. If its legal in the state to carry, like Ohio, then it permitted in their coffee shops. I use this example due to the national media attention they received when this policy was made public. From what I read in Second Amendment activist's forums their bottom line went up 8% shortly after that.

I also must apologize for my previous statement that 260, 000 people in Ohio have now gotten their carry permits in Ohio, the number is closer to 300,000. Due to the recent (unfortunate) event in Aurora, Colorado more and more people are learning that they and they alone are responsible for their own safety.

Again, thank you for your time.
Jeff Slack

My reply, oh and I made up the part about the 8%

Dear Jeff Slack,

Thank you for your recent correspondence. We are always interested in
hearing from our customers, and regret it was this type of situation
that prompted you to contact us. Please accept our apology for any
inconvenience you may have encountered

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused the customers. The
signs that are posted on the store are request by the executive level
which reserve the right to prohibit guns in the store for public safety.

By sharing your concerns, you have enabled us to address the issues and
provide feedback to the appropriate person. Truly, your remarks provide
forthright feedback that will enable Sears to achieve excellence in
everything we do.

Once again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Michelle C.
Sears Holdings Corporation

As of 6:45, August 1, there are no longer gun buster signs up at Super K. Whether it was because of the emails that were sent or not, I don't know. But the signs are down.

Last edited: