• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mexican carry?!?!?

DrakeZ07

I think he's referring to your post count being under 900 or whateverthemagiccutofflineforforumranksisregardingpostcounts.

rdinatal

"legal?! illegal??!?" Legal

"what are your thoughts on it?" If you carry that way and have a ND you are responsible for all damages (insurance should not cover it). Simple. That's the way wearing seatbelts should be.

What ever happened to personal responsibility???

-R

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yea, I'm going to vote that carrying a gun in the waistband without a holster is just a dumb move. There is a holster out there for just about every gun. If you can't find one you can have one custom made. What kind of gun do you carry? Even if one wants to debate whether or not a holster helps reduce negligent discharges, you can't debate the fact that a decent holster will help keep your sweat off your gun.

WalkingWolf

"legal?! illegal??!?" Legal

"what are your thoughts on it?" If you carry that way and have a ND you are responsible for all damages (insurance should not cover it). Simple. That's the way wearing seatbelts should be.

What ever happened to personal responsibility???

-R

Negligent discharge has nothing to do with holster or lack of holster. Can you give one cite that pants, or belt, or anything other than a finger causes negligent discharges? If someone has a ND they should take "personal responsibility" that they pulled the trigger.

Stop blaming it on other than what is the actual cause~that is as bad as politicians blaming guns for violence.

rdinatal

Negligent discharge has nothing to do with holster or lack of holster. Can you give one cite that pants, or belt, or anything other than a finger causes negligent discharges? If someone has a ND they should take "personal responsibility" that they pulled the trigger.

Stop blaming it on other than what is the actual cause~that is as bad as politicians blaming guns for violence.

I hear you and sort of understand...

Another way of explaining what I meant : If you don't put your car in park or set the parking brake don't blame anyone else if it rolls down hill and crashes into something! You should not expect (your) insurance company to pay.

There's safe ways of storing (holster) items (gun) that's designed to eliminate (cover trigger) a ND. Now if the holster is defective then that's a whole other issue.

That's just how I think. If I'm in the minority then I bow to the majority. Again, it's personal reasonability. Am I close, wrong or spot on?

What's really defined as negligent? None yet as far as I see as it's always the tool, BUT! The tool is not negligent. It's not alive so how can it do anything?

Thoughts?

-R

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

ND's can happen when other objects, car keys, money clips etc. get in the trigger guard, as well as an errant finger accidentally going into the trigger guard, a la Plaxico Burris. If you want to carry that way, it OK with me, but I won't. If you want to OC the safest way is, in my opinion, secured in a proper holster, trigger guard covered and positive retention. It's your gun, do it your way.

I don't care how anybody carries, it is after all their business. I carry in a Tom Threespersons holster, and a leather cross draw. I just believe in the facts, the truth, and not throwing out misconceptions. And the fact is the ND are caused by manipulation of the trigger. As I understand the OP he is not talking about pocket carry with keys. As far Burris you or I was not there, and can only rely on his story. Which I highly doubt he is going say "ohhh duhhhh I was playing with the trigger". From what I understand of the security tapes he was indeed fumbling with his weapon, so it would lead one to believe he pulled the trigger. I got a surprise for ya, it happens with holsters all the time.

Nobody is asking you to do anything, or I, the OP asked for advice, and advice is good as long as it is not based on misconceptions. Another fact is many generations carried holsters in waistbands, in pockets, even in sashes tied tightly across the waist. Some very famous people at that, colt designed his 1848 revolver to be a "pocket" firearm, and it was even called that. The police models that followed were considered pocket firearms. I would not personally carry a gun in front because it just is not a good place. But I have carried a 1911 just behind my hip while undercover, cops wear holsters, criminals don't. A holster would be dead giveaway, at least back in those old days.

I would OP to use a holster, but if not his gun is not going to go off because he tucks it into his pants, that is just not true. And if we are going to give advice we should have the personal responsibility to tell the truth.

09jisaac

What makes you think it is always a finger that sets a firearm off? My father's father owned a shotgun that killed two people (both the owners), the first one was crossing a fence when it happened. He laid the shotgun butt down on the ground and propped up on the fence, as he was crossing the fence the shotgun fell over and discharged. His hand wasn't even near the firearm. They think the trigger caught on a twig.

I also knew a guy who shot himself with a .45 1911. He put it in his pocket with other things (keys, change, etc). Something most have disengaged the thumb safety and when he was pulling the gun out of his pocket he gripped the grip (disengaging the grip safety) and it went off. His keys or something most have levered against the trigger but he maintains it wasn't his finger. Being as he had no reason to lie to us (his friends) we believe everything of it. He already made a fool of himself, no point in lying about it.

So one story couldn't have been his finger (as he wad laying dead too far away from it), and the other I have no reason to suspect is a lie.

WalkingWolf

What makes you think it is always a finger that sets a firearm off? My father's father owned a shotgun that killed two people (both the owners), the first one was crossing a fence when it happened. He laid the shotgun butt down on the ground and propped up on the fence, as he was crossing the fence the shotgun fell over and discharged. His hand wasn't even near the firearm. They think the trigger caught on a twig.

I also knew a guy who shot himself with a .45 1911. He put it in his pocket with other things (keys, change, etc). Something most have disengaged the thumb safety and when he was pulling the gun out of his pocket he gripped the grip (disengaging the grip safety) and it went off. His keys or something most have levered against the trigger but he maintains it wasn't his finger. Being as he had no reason to lie to us (his friends) we believe everything of it. He already made a fool of himself, no point in lying about it.

So one story couldn't have been his finger (as he wad laying dead too far away from it), and the other I have no reason to suspect is a lie.

There is a big difference from a shotgun falling off a fence and most handguns discharging in either holsters or pockets or waistbands. I am assuming the OP has enough sense to not put his gun in his pocket with his keys. I doubt he intends to play toss with it in twigs. And the person with the 1911 was the one responsible for the safety coming off, it didn't magically happen, and most likely he pulled the trigger. Really this is what antis try to convince people that guns go off allllll by themselves. It just does not happen. I can't imagine anything in pair of pants pulling the trigger unless one thinks the pinga did it. If it truly is a set keys just WHO is responsible, the KEYS the gun, the pants?

What it boils down to what the OP wants to do. He looked for honest advice, telling him there is trigger genie in his pants is well~~~~~~~

Darn them sneaky pubic hairs...

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Everybody that has a negligent discharge blames it on everything thing but the finger. How does clothing without fingers pull a trigger within a trigger guard? Especially when triggers are usually at least 8lbs. It is the finger that is the problem, no matter how it is carried. Hell most guns now cannot even fire if dropped. Strikers are blocked, in revolvers hammers are blocked. And most guns will not fire without the trigger being fully pulled to the rear. 1911 the hammer is blocked by the thumb safety, the trigger bar is blocked by the grip safety, and if carried hammer down two actions have to occur for the gun to discharge.

It is the finger of fate responsible for negligent discharges.

You are right. Just put any gun you please in your waistband and when it blows your Femoral artery in two who cares. You act like the ONLY thing that can pull a trigger to the rear is a finger. Wow.

Last edited:

flb_78

I know of a 1911 that fell on the floor muzzle first and went off, even with the safeties.

There is more of a chance of a negligent discharge with mexican carry than there is with even a basic holster.

I have no doubt that lots of folks carry mexican style with no problems everyday. It's just not a risk I'd be willing to take.

As I said earlier, it's legal as long as the grip stays exposed.

PistolPackingMomma

I have, thank you.

In most instances, in order to manipulate the trigger, the gun must be removed from the holster. Therefore, NDs do not happen with properly holstered guns "all the time."

The only time I've heard of a trigger being manipulated in the holster was when the leather was badly worn and softened to the point that it was able to fold into the trigger guard.

Do dumb people remove their firearms from holsters and immediately, stupidly, put their finger in the trigger guard? Yes. Has anyone ever discharged a firearm while it was IN the holster? Not that I'm aware of, aside from that one guy with the malleable leather holster.

WalkingWolf

I have, thank you.

In most instances, in order to manipulate the trigger, the gun must be removed from the holster. Therefore, NDs do not happen with properly holstered guns "all the time."

The only time I've heard of a trigger being manipulated in the holster was when the leather was badly worn and softened to the point that it was able to fold into the trigger guard.

Do dumb people remove their firearms from holsters and immediately, stupidly, put their finger in the trigger guard? Yes. Has anyone ever discharged a firearm while it was IN the holster? Not that I'm aware of, aside from that one guy with the malleable leather holster.

A gun fires most times because the trigger is pulled. Some holsters have a open trigger, some do not, but if the gun is drawn with a finger on the trigger it just may go boom. The problem really is with the brain, if a person has keys in their pocket with the gun, how did those keys get there? If the gun is in a holster or waistband a simple solution is to use the brain and keep the fingers outside of the trigger guard. We see it all the time in videos and pictures of intelligent people with their fingers in the trigger guard. I realize they do not intend to booger the trigger, but it does not change it. The best solution IMO is training on every draw NOT to put a finger on the trigger or in the trigger guard.

Personally, especially for open carry I much prefer a holster. I only carried waist band because that was standard undercover. In the 80s a fancy holster was a tipoff. Never had one incident, but we trained to keep the finger outside of the trigger guard until absolutely necessary. I still draw to this day with my finger outside the guard.

And I saw that one with the worn leather holster, if one looks the holster comes no where near close enough to discharge the weapon. He would have had to been pushing really hard in the holster to get it there. People just do not want to admit they pulled the trigger.

Last edited:

DrakeZ07

Just take 50$ and buy a Serpa CQC, it'll last you a good while, its comfortable, and looks cool too. [http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm]

Oh, you could do what I do during the winter, put on a drop-leg holster, which you can buy pretty cheap from anywhere around 40$ to 250$; Although it's rather pricey, I do so love my Serpa level3. Perhaps a drop leg would be more your style? you don't have to bother with it on your hip, or in your pants, and if you wear camo pants like I do, it really adds to your cool factor [Just dont wear jungle camies with the drop leg >.>] and link [http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-Tactical-SERPA-Holster,1179,1416.htm]

neuroblades

legal?! illegal??!?
what are your thoughts on it?
like open carry mexican carry.
i have found it to be much more comfortable. being that it is almost impossible for me to find a holster that fits my gun.
i have never mexican carried outside yet b/c i dont know if i can
!

Every BG that I've ever encountered was carrying Mexican Style. It's seriously frowned upon by the LE community and while I'm not one to allow my decisions to be swayed easily, I'd never attempt to carry Mexican style in OC, maybe in CC and ONLY if I had a very good reason to skip the holster. I read that you couldn't locate a holster, henceforth the reason for your Mexican Carry issue. That does present an issue but I think I'd look into other alternatives to Mexican Carry before doing that.

Acuzio

Just take 50$ and buy a Serpa CQC, it'll last you a good while, its comfortable, and looks cool too. [http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SERPA-CQC-wMatte-Finish,1145,1410.htm]

Oh, you could do what I do during the winter, put on a drop-leg holster, which you can buy pretty cheap from anywhere around 40$ to 250$; Although it's rather pricey, I do so love my Serpa level3. Perhaps a drop leg would be more your style? you don't have to bother with it on your hip, or in your pants, and if you wear camo pants like I do, it really adds to your cool factor [Just dont wear jungle camies with the drop leg >.>] and link [http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Level-3-Tactical-SERPA-Holster,1179,1416.htm]

I swear if I had a jerb right now I'd grab that dropleg.. My current hip holster doesnt sit well with my Hi Point C9 so it jabs my side when im sitting/driving.

DrakeZ07

I swear if I had a jerb right now I'd grab that dropleg.. My current hip holster doesnt sit well with my Hi Point C9 so it jabs my side when im sitting/driving.

May I suggest buying a roomier vehicle? When I do carry my .40SW Hi-point via hip holster [Cheap KNJ POS from wally-world] it's a real pain to get it to not poke my side when I drive my Cobalt, but in the Grand Cherokee, there's no problem at all.

Sometimes it's not the holster, xD Go buy a Hummer H1, You could sit comfortably with a Berret M95 on your hip with that thing, :3~