Thread: Baton Carry

Question Baton Carry

Since 571.030 RSMO says you cannot conceal one without a CCW, I assume that open carry of an expandable baton is legal. Am I correct?

Also, the Ozark Emipre Fair has signs posted that say "No concealed weapons". So can I take that to assume that OC is ok unless they ask you to leave? Which I assume it's a bad idea anyways to OC at all in an area that's posted against CC.

To tie the two together, is OC'ing a baton at the fairgrounds ok? Last year there seemed to be no problem with it.

Thanks all.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
    Since 571.030 RSMO says you cannot conceal one without a CCW, I assume that open carry of an expandable baton is legal. Am I correct?

Also, the Ozark Emipre Fair has signs posted that say "No concealed weapons". So can I take that to assume that OC is ok unless they ask you to leave? Which I assume it's a bad idea anyways to OC at all in an area that's posted against CC.

To tie the two together, is OC'ing a baton at the fairgrounds ok? Last year there seemed to be no problem with it.

Thanks all.
    You will have much less problems with a walking stick or cane.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    You will have much less problems with a walking stick or cane.
    Yeah but I work at the fair, either driving golf carts or in a concessions stand. So a big stick is kinda out of place. With all the other gear we carry (radios, knives, flashlights), a baton doesn't seem to draw any attention.
    I would have a 200x15 userbar here, but images are sadly not allowed in signatures.

We carry Asps at the company I work for at night. They are very useful tools if used correctly. Of the few times one has been deployed, the aggressor backed down and no for was used. In the last year I have drawn around 10 times and only swung once. Very effective at getting compliance.

Banned
    OH, can I please carry a stick for protection, Mr. Boss Man? OH, thank you Mr. Boss Man, you are so kind.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    OH, can I please carry a stick for protection, Mr. Boss Man? OH, thank you Mr. Boss Man, you are so kind.
    Now that is mean, funny, but mean. You owe me a keyboard!

Baton Carry

.....sorry.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Baton Carry

.....sorry.
    Showoff ... I can do that...if I wanted to ...I just don't want to.

....same or similar outfit?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I work security and our supervisors have gone through training to be able to carry batons. Although you cant strap one on and go about your day, I would try to find some sort of training or certification that says you know what you're doing. Our guys have gone to court after arresting an individual and using said baton to assist. The training has kept us out of legal trouble and makes it harder for the bad guys so sue us. If you haven't already experienced it already, everyone loves to sue the badge because their rights have always been violated some how some way.

Batons are a great tool if you know how to use it.

Keep the Peace!

Well I can carry my Glock in 2 days, so training is kind of moot.

That little girl was freaking beast at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruether View Post

Batons are a great tool if you know how to use it.
    There is a opportunity for joke here, but I will refrain...

I've CC'd at the OEFG a couple times. Remember, the sign carries no legal weight in MO. Obviously, your employer can still fire you if they find out though. And if the fairgrounds finds out, they can ask you to leave too.

A couple cops asked me about my baton yesterday. They were like "Is that for protection?" or something like that. lol

I just said "yeah I work here until 1 AM"

"Which company do you work for?"

"Ozarks Coca-Cola"

"Ok. We just want to know who has what"

haha kinda funny IMO, but they were polite and everything. My first LEO "encounter" too.