• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Baton Carry

Boba Fett

Since 571.030 RSMO says you cannot conceal one without a CCW, I assume that open carry of an expandable baton is legal. Am I correct?

Also, the Ozark Emipre Fair has signs posted that say "No concealed weapons". So can I take that to assume that OC is ok unless they ask you to leave? Which I assume it's a bad idea anyways to OC at all in an area that's posted against CC.

To tie the two together, is OC'ing a baton at the fairgrounds ok? Last year there seemed to be no problem with it.

Thanks all.

WalkingWolf

Since 571.030 RSMO says you cannot conceal one without a CCW, I assume that open carry of an expandable baton is legal. Am I correct?

Also, the Ozark Emipre Fair has signs posted that say "No concealed weapons". So can I take that to assume that OC is ok unless they ask you to leave? Which I assume it's a bad idea anyways to OC at all in an area that's posted against CC.

To tie the two together, is OC'ing a baton at the fairgrounds ok? Last year there seemed to be no problem with it.

Thanks all.

You will have much less problems with a walking stick or cane.

Boba Fett

You will have much less problems with a walking stick or cane.

Yeah but I work at the fair, either driving golf carts or in a concessions stand. So a big stick is kinda out of place. With all the other gear we carry (radios, knives, flashlights), a baton doesn't seem to draw any attention.

Fyermn

We carry Asps at the company I work for at night. They are very useful tools if used correctly. Of the few times one has been deployed, the aggressor backed down and no for was used. In the last year I have drawn around 10 times and only swung once. Very effective at getting compliance.

Ruether

I work security and our supervisors have gone through training to be able to carry batons. Although you cant strap one on and go about your day, I would try to find some sort of training or certification that says you know what you're doing. Our guys have gone to court after arresting an individual and using said baton to assist. The training has kept us out of legal trouble and makes it harder for the bad guys so sue us. If you haven't already experienced it already, everyone loves to sue the badge because their rights have always been violated some how some way.

Batons are a great tool if you know how to use it.

Keep the Peace!

Oramac

I've CC'd at the OEFG a couple times. Remember, the sign carries no legal weight in MO. Obviously, your employer can still fire you if they find out though. And if the fairgrounds finds out, they can ask you to leave too.

Boba Fett

A couple cops asked me about my baton yesterday. They were like "Is that for protection?" or something like that. lol

I just said "yeah I work here until 1 AM"

"Which company do you work for?"

"Ozarks Coca-Cola"

"Ok. We just want to know who has what"

haha kinda funny IMO, but they were polite and everything. My first LEO "encounter" too.