Thread: Coming to Florida for Visit and have a question or two.

Coming to Florida for Visit and have a question or two.

We are taking a family vacation to Florida soon and I had a question.

For starters, I have a KY CCDW License that is recognized by Florida.

I have heard stories about people getting in to big trouble just for having their firearm "Print".

Are these stories true and it is illegal to accidently "print"?
    Last edited by rscottie; 07-28-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    We are taking a family vacation to Florida soon and I had a question.

For starters, I have a KY CCDW License that is recognized by Florida.

I have heard stories about people getting in to big trouble just for having their firearm "Print".

If you search Fl statutes you will find no law against printing. It is also ok to openly carry "briefly". People do get in big trouble for printing/exposure, and it seems to be getting worse. They get in trouble because many LEOs are against mundanes carrying firearms period. We should thank these LEOs, though, because they're going to help us get OC here.
    Last edited by 77zach; 07-28-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

No, printing is not illegal in Florida. In fact, it's a non-event.

Most people who think they are printing are not, they just think they are.

Anyway, carry concealed with an IWB or use an OWB with a cover garment.

I prefer the latter as it allows me a lot more freedom of movement and obviously more comfort.

If your preferred method of dress is a skin tight "wife beater" and a Euro style set of swim trunks, you're on your own!!!

AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

I'm taking the family to FL soon too. I emailed the AG's office a couple weeks ago with my questions but never got a response. My plan is to go IWB and pretend I'm one of those deep cover anti OC guys from the other forums. lol FL recognizes my MI CPL so as long as it isn't seen by the sheep, everything should work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckdriver1975 View Post
    I'm taking the family to FL soon too. I emailed the AG's office a couple weeks ago with my questions but never got a response. My plan is to go IWB and pretend I'm one of those deep cover anti OC guys from the other forums. lol FL recognizes my MI CPL so as long as it isn't seen by the sheep, everything should work out.
    Good plan!

Enjoy your trip. Safe travels!
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Does it matter who is the legal owner of the gun I carry in FL? My wife's XD9sc is a little smaller and easier to conceal than my XDM but it's registered in her name. I'm legal to carry it in MI but not sure about out of state.

Does it matter who is the legal owner of the gun I carry in FL? My wife's XD9sc is a little smaller and easier to conceal than my XDM but it's registered in her name. I'm legal to carry it in MI but not sure about out of state.
    As long as it isn't stolen, if it's in your possession, it's 'yours'. We don't have registration like MI (yeah, yeah...it's a 'safety check' ).
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

Are these stories true and it is illegal to accidently "print"?[/QUOTE]

I hate to ask a dumb question but what exactly is the meaning of "print" in the way that it is used? Are you referring to the outline under one's shirt?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkman2 View Post

I hate to ask a dumb question but what exactly is the meaning of "print" in the way that it is used? Are you referring to the outline under one's shirt?
    Yes, the gun shape is visible and someone calls the police on you and you get in to trouble I have been told.

As such, I will be wearing loose Hawaiian "shoot me first" shirts that all CCDW Holders love.
    Last edited by rscottie; 08-03-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Fixed the quotes for ya Sparky

Visitors, please check out www.handgunlaw.us for easy to read pdfs on each state's laws through which you plan to travel. Print out the state's info and bring it along for easy reference.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)

First night down here and so fat so good. When my wife pointed out the bar codes in the windows of our rental, that really made me happy to have a weapon handy. Nothing says "rob me" like vehicle that's obviously full of tourists.

First night down here and so fat so good. When my wife pointed out the bar codes in the windows of our rental, that really made me happy to have a weapon handy. Nothing says "rob me" like vehicle that's obviously full of tourists.
    Freudian slip? After all, you are on vacation!!!
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF Ret.
    Executive Director
    Florida Carry, Inc.
    www.floridacarry.org
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)