• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The model OC and gun activist?

Tanner

Im sure a few people here know I am still new and green at most (ok all) of this OC gun activisim stuff. I have gotten to know a few people. 99.999% are outstanding people who care. No other way to say it its just that simple they care.

So I have had some experience so far with less than plesant people and my question would be this. Is there a common concensus of how the ideal activist (or whatever you want to call them) would act.

I ask because since i am new and learning sometimes I get things wrong. I have ideas, I miss quote, missunderstand, missrepresent, blah blah blah. I have done a great deal of research so far and do have informed ideas about how things work. Advancing the "cause" in my opinion would be to get as many people as possible involved with OC, CC, and buying firearms. I know this is a OC site but really if everyone had a firearm it wouldent really matter the method of carry someone uses. It would be as relivant as choosing shorts or pants, and I think that is where most people here would like to see it.

I see some people using this site as a place to stick out their chest and say I do this and I do that respect me. It turns me off to really getting into it as deep as I would eventually like. Im sure in even posting this I will be crucified by some, but I welcome anyone thoughts or reflections on how they precive things to be.

To the guys I have met. Really you all have been a great help. Thank you for the time and frustration you have spent on me so far. I look forward to learning a lot more from you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No more than there is a perfect specimen of a model citizen, Tanner.

We are constructed from a broad cross section of peoples: all races, ages, sexes, and backgrounds. We are jointly identified by how we carry both our guns and ourselves. We are by and large responsible, law abiding and courteous. Protection of self and family as well as preservation of other rights are high on our list of priorities.

I think that setting an "ideal" standard is beyond what we should expect. People measure up by their very existence and adherence to the Golden Rule IMHO.

Relax and enjoy - You're doing fine.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I think it's easier to answer your question by what that person is not, and you've hit on quite a bit of it.

That person is not intolerant of others' opinions, is willing to recognize that people learn at different rates and that some require more repetition. That person realizes there's more than one way to do just about anything, and that effective trumps technically correct every time.

That person is patient and knowledgeable while recognizing he has a lot to learn.

That person is not out for the recognition; he tries to set a good example, but not by holding himself up as such.

(Remember, seldom is the guy who says "look at me" the one worth looking at.)

MKEgal

I agree with Tess.
I think it's more effective if you don't set out to be an activist.
Whether armed or not, just go about your day, do what you normally do, and if people want to talk with you, talk with them.
That's what I've done, & I seem to have been labelled as both an activist & a leader.

(If you're not in the mood, carry concealed. If you're carrying openly you have to always be willing to talk with people.)
I think that when I'm carrying, and especially OC, I am more aware of being patient, kind, helpful, etc. Basically, a good citizen. I hold doors, smile at people, wave cars in ahead of me in traffic...

When you run into antis, and you will, still be patient & calm.
Eventually you'll realize when they're interested in talking & when they're just expressing their fear / hatred of your property.
If they don't want to talk, smile & walk away.
Never raise your voice or in any way escalate the situation.

Last edited:

Tanner

Reasonable words Tess. While recent events on the forum may suggest that I am talking about a single person I assure you I am not. I would not assume the worst about someone based on a chat on the internet. The written word is dangerous in that it can easily be misunderstood. I and im sure all of us at some point have said something while every one els heard another. If I may get deep for a second. Who we are as individuals can and will change every time we interact with someone new. Most of the time we are consistant in how we carry our self. Sometimes for some reason we find ourself unable to get along. In these situations we do a few things that will forever make an impression to another person that we are something we are not. Rude, and disrespectfull are things I am not. However I have at some point in time been those to someone somewhere. When the rudeness and such is directed at me I try to remind myself that this person (no one specific in this case) is a best friend to someone.

Since my encounters so far have been fantastic on this forum it made me wonder what you all think when things like this get a little out of hand. Since it was first brought up to me that this site is watched I try to take care and watch what I say. As a whole there should be a way to hold others accountable for the things they do or say. Simply put I avoid saying things online that I wouldent say to someones face. That being said sometime I get sucked into the back and forth and forget one of the first things I learned as a adult. Respect others until they give you a reason not to. After that just respectfully avoid them.

Really I need to stop being so serious for a while. Any one have any OC jokes? Finish this sentance.
Why did the OCer cross the road?

Steeler-gal

Any one have any OC jokes? Finish this sentance.

Cause that's where the gun show was?

========================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching Classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Tanner

I agree with Tess.
Whether armed or not, just go about your day, do what you normally do, and if people want to talk with you, talk with them.
That's what I've done, & I seem to have been labelled as both an activist & a leader.

(If you're not in the mood, carry concealed. If you're carrying openly you have to always be willing to talk with people.)
I think that when I'm carrying, and especially OC, I am more aware of being patient, kind, helpful, etc. Basically, a good citizen. I hold doors, smile at people, wave cars in ahead of me in traffic...

Eventually you'll realize when they're interested in talking & when they're just expressing their fear / hatred of your property.

I agree that you agree with her. Just the other day I was able to chat about guns and the benifit of being able to protect ones family, self and property. I was recovering a truck for swift. The driver of the truck was stoped by the MD DOT and his medical card was expired by 6 months. So the 200 mile drive from where I picked him up and all the way to Avenel, NJ we talked about guns. And as luck would have it he had somehow heard of the FMCSA regulation on firearms. Like me he could not recall the cite or what it acctually said so I left it alone for the most part explaing that it most likely does not ban us from having a firearm in the truck and that in looking for it later I have not been able to find it. (because its probably not there). I also told him how things work in VA and urged him to research the law in his state. I doubt that he will even bother but it was kinda fun. He is from a nother country and it always suprises me how receptive they are to the idea of having these freedoms.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Stealing from Grapeshot:

OCDO is dedicated to the protection and furtherance of open carry and tangentially RKBA

OCDO is not an "activist site" where meetings are held, activities are proposed etc by the site owners.

I see it as a site that supports OC/CC by being a place of information dissemination and discussion of gun laws, legislation, court cases, personal opinions regarding OC/CC, and all things OC/CC. And in doing so, will further the cause of making OC/CC a right that anyone who desires to use can use it.

The forum rules anticipate conflicts :

One rule:
(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE!

You say you feel like you were treated "rudely" .. well I have too but I think that once your words are out there people may interpret them differently than you intended and if they respond rudely it may indicate that they were offended by what you wrote. And, of course, sometimes a person is just plain rude for really no specific reason or purpose (I always just think that they had gas when they posted). Were you attacked because of you race, religion, nationality, or sex? I have not seen much of this on this site. You viewpoint or philosophy regarding this aspect of a forum where conflicting viewpoints are common is the way to go...this is after all just an internet website...most people don't know others personally.

As far as "what makes a perfect activist?" there is no answer. Different people respond differently to different stimulus. Some folks like audio while others like visual while other like written communication. What makes an activist effective is another question...I guess its one who gets things done by whatever means or mix of means they use (a quantitative measurement model).

I read a few of your postings and I have seen them as being friendly, inquisitive, and trying to get information out.

So, you're worth the money ! You should get a pay raise ! :D

Last edited:

Tanner

Stealing from Grapeshot:

OCDO is dedicated to the protection and furtherance of open carry and tangentially RKBA

OCDO is not an "activist site" where meetings are held, activities are proposed etc by the site owners.

I see it as a site that supports OC/CC by being a place of information dissemination and discussion of gun laws, legislation, court cases, personal opinions regarding OC/CC, and all things OC/CC. And in doing so, will further the cause of making OC/CC a right that anyone who desires to use can use it.

The forum rules anticipate conflicts :

One rule:
(9) HATE IS NOT WELCOME HERE: Any posts attacking others based upon race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender-identity, or anything other than opposition to gun rights is NOT WELCOME HERE!

You say you feel like you were treated "rudely" .. well I have too but I think that once your words are out there people may interpret them differently than you intended and if they respond rudely it may indicate that they were offended by what you wrote. And, of course, sometimes a person is just plain rude for really no specific reason or purpose (I always just think that they had gas when they posted). Were you attacked because of you race, religion, nationality, or sex? I have not seen much of this on this site. You viewpoint or philosophy regarding this aspect of a forum where conflicting viewpoints are common is the way to go...this is after all just an internet website...most people don't know others personally.

As far as "what makes a perfect activist?" there is no answer. Different people respond differently to different stimulus. Some folks like audio while others like visual while other like written communication. What makes an activist effective is another question...I guess its one who gets things done by whatever means or mix of means they use (a quantitative measurement model).

I read a few of your postings and I have seen them as being friendly, inquisitive, and trying to get information out.

So, you're worth the money ! You should get a pay raise ! :D

It dident start out as rude but it evolved into that and I was not helping defuse either. and again its not any single person im talking about. this has happend a few times. Feelings are intact though. Im really not as sinsitive as it seems.

Ive been bamboozeled! No one told me that we are suppoesd to be getting paid! But some one still owes me 64,000 bucks.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tanner

Think positive!

Because the was a shop there with a big sign: [highlight]FREE GUNS AND AMMO[/highlight]

scouser

I agree that you agree with her. Just the other day I was able to chat about guns and the benifit of being able to protect ones family, self and property. I was recovering a truck for swift. The driver of the truck was stoped by the MD DOT and his medical card was expired by 6 months. So the 200 mile drive from where I picked him up and all the way to Avenel, NJ we talked about guns. And as luck would have it he had somehow heard of the FMCSA regulation on firearms. Like me he could not recall the cite or what it acctually said so I left it alone for the most part explaing that it most likely does not ban us from having a firearm in the truck and that in looking for it later I have not been able to find it. (because its probably not there). I also told him how things work in VA and urged him to research the law in his state. I doubt that he will even bother but it was kinda fun. He is from a nother country and it always suprises me how receptive they are to the idea of having these freedoms.

Tanner, you're a nice guy but do me a favor please.

Quit spreading rumors about truck drivers not being allowed to carry per FMCSR. Those of us who know the regulations know it doesn't exist. Attention does not have to be brought to this matter lest someone suddenly decides they need to add a new paragraph to those regulations banning us from carrying. It's like the 'well you don't have a sign' speech you should never make when told you can't carry somewhere. Your employer bans you from carrying, someone else's employer (which for a lot of drivers is themselves) might not.

Don't screw the pooch for the rest of us, thanks.

Last edited:

Tanner

Tanner, you're a nice guy but do me a favor please.

Quit spreading rumors about truck drivers not being allowed to carry per FMCSR. Those of us who know the regulations know it doesn't exist. Attention does not have to be brought to this matter lest someone suddenly decides they need to add a new paragraph to those regulations banning us from carrying. It's like the 'well you don't have a sign' speech you should never make when told you can't carry somewhere. Your employer bans you from carrying, someone else's employer (which for a lot of drivers is themselves) might not.

Don't screw the pooch for the rest of us, thanks.

Did you read my post you replied to?

"it most likely does not ban us from having a firearm in the truck and that in looking for it later I have not been able to find it. (because its probably not there)."

Please stop assuming that everytime I bring it up that I am saying that its true. Im not spreading the rumor. I am trying to find if its true or not. At this point im sure its not there. I explained to the guy that I have been looking for it in the FMCSA. I have read the book almost twice now! Im not looking for it because I want it to be there. I am looking for it because its my responsibility. Talk is Talk is Talk I dont know how to make it any more clear. Should I find the closest mountain top and scream "You can have a gun in a truck!"
I have never trusted internet searches to educate myself. I prefer to read it in a book when it comes to these things. Im wierd like that. I would also choose to listend to a record than a cd.

Just to be clear. I told this other guy whose truck I recovered that I to had heard something about firearms in in the truck. I also told him that I have done tons and tons of reading to find it and im convinced that it is not in there. I suggested to him that we may have fasle memories in recalling where we heard of this regulations. After all truckers stories spread and are past on as fact like cancer. He agreed and that was the end of the subject. Now please if I ever mention it again dont assume im trying to go on some crusade to convince everyone that this regulation exists. I dont want it to exist.

Tanner

(c) Baggage liability.
(1) No carrier may totally exempt its liability for articles offered as checked baggage, unless those articles have been exempted by the Secretary. (Other liability is subject to subpart D of this part). A notice listing exempted articles shall be prominently posted at every location where baggage is accepted for checking.
(2) Carriers may refuse to accept as checked baggage and, if unknowingly accepted, may disclaim liability for loss or damage to the following articles:
(i) Articles whose transportation as checked baggage is prohibited by law or regulation;(
ii) Fragile or perishable articles, articles whose dimensions exceed the size limitations in the carrier's tariff, receptacles with articles attached or protruding, guns, and materials that have a disagreeable odor;

This could be imporperly recalled after a few years of not thinking or really careing about firearms since I had no interest at the time in having a gun in the truck. And it dosent even apply to trucks

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I agree with Tess.

Yes ma'am, good guides for anyone regardless of whether or not they are carrying a firearm.... but especially when going armed. It is in my personality to be friendly and quick to humor. I think nothing of opening a brief conversation with complete strangers. When openly armed, I believe this works very well for me as it tends to put those who may experience a little anxiety when they see my sidearm, at ease. Being decent, friendly, and a little funny can go a long way in sending a powerful and positive message when you are armed. Just do like my mom taught me;

Treat everyone with dignity and respect, until they give you reason not to... and then just avoid them.

Maine Expat

I agree with Tess.

Couldn't have said it any better! TU, TU

I'm naturally laid back so playing goodwill ambassador is pretty easy for me.

If you haven't already done so get or make a Fact/Info Card to carry with you and be ready to hand them out whenever you have the opportunity. That one little thing changed a manager's mind in seconds for me recently.

Tanner

Couldn't have said it any better! TU, TU

I'm naturally laid back so playing goodwill ambassador is pretty easy for me.

If you haven't already done so get or make a Fact/Info Card to carry with you and be ready to hand them out whenever you have the opportunity. That one little thing changed a manager's mind in seconds for me recently.

I plan on getting some cards when I get back to VA. I may be tempted to pass them to any one who gives me a second look.