• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have heard from police departments regardin bloomberg's strike idea?

Barnett3006

I think, were Bloomie's national LEO strike to actually happen, that suddenly the fudds that think guns are only for hunting and the people that are on-the-fence about owning guns and many of those that oppose gun ownership period would go :shocker:. Then the shelves at gun stores go bare of anything with any SD value, gun ownership across the country increases several fold and crime only increases in the predictable areas of the country while going down dramatically on a national scale.

Sometimes its fun the imagine the unintended consequences of stuff like this...

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Found this on Officer.com

Rebuttal to Mayor Bloomberg

Rebuttal to Mayor Bloomberg
by Frank Borelli
Created: July 24, 2012
Mayor Bloomberg: your arrogance and ego are your undoing. We law enforcement professionals don't take the oath and perform our duty for any political purpose. We put on that uniform, pin on that badge, strap on that gun and go out into our communities...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I think, were Bloomie's national LEO strike to actually happen, that suddenly the fudds that think guns are only for hunting and the people that are on-the-fence about owning guns and many of those that oppose gun ownership period would go :shocker:. Then the shelves at gun stores go bare of anything with any SD value, gun ownership across the country increases several fold and crime only increases in the predictable areas of the country while going down dramatically on a national scale.

Sometimes its fun the imagine the unintended consequences of stuff like this...

Ain't that the truth.

Freedom1Man

First, we law enforcement professionals take an oath. That oath includes promising to fairly and impartially enforce the laws of our city, county and state. That oath includes obeying and/or protecting the Constitution of the United States (which contains that thing called the 2nd Amendment if you remember correctly).

Geez if only this were true.... If it is then ALL cops who violate that oath should be out of a job the same day.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Geez if only this were true.... If it is then ALL cops who violate that oath should be out of a job the same day.

Its actually a meaningless oath that they take. There are no criminal penalties for non-performance. With the military, you can be jailed. Laws, regulations, etc. that have no penalty are not mandatory .. same with oaths taken by policemen or anyone else who takes an oath where there are no penalties for non-performance. And losing a job is not a penalty. I never tell cops that they are non-performing their oath -- because the oath is meaningless.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Its actually a meaningless oath that they take. There are no criminal penalties for non-performance. With the military, you can be jailed. Laws, regulations, etc. that have no penalty are not mandatory .. same with oaths taken by policemen or anyone else who takes an oath where there are no penalties for non-performance. And losing a job is not a penalty. I never tell cops that they are non-performing their oath -- because the oath is meaningless.

Please, please don't dash my dreams....

I know that they are, in effect, meaningless. I was just being optimistic for a change.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Its actually a meaningless oath that they take. There are no criminal penalties for non-performance. With the military, you can be jailed.

Members of the military wouldn't be jailed for failing to protect and defend the Constitution. They'd be jailed for failing to follow orders.

Regardless, most of the members of the military I knew took their oaths seriously.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The point is that cops are, by law, prevented from going out on strike. Every one of the 57 :eek: states and DC has some form of law saying certain public safety employees (or all, in some states) cannot strike. A large number of those laws include calling for a strike or encouraging other covered employees to go on strike as prohibited activities.

This is why you hear about "the blue flu" occassionally hitting a police or fire department. Being sick is not against the law. But you never see cops or firefighters walking a picket line because they feel that would be "beneath" them - you don't see them walking the line because it is illegal and they know they can be fired for doing so and that firing will probably stick.

Many states have laws that prohibit public employees from campaigning for either a specific candidate or for a specific proposal as public employees. Joe Shmoe, who happens to be a cop, can campaign for Bloomy while he is off duty and out of uniform as long as he does not use the fact that he is a cop as part of his campaigning activity. Jane Doe cannot campaign for Bloomy while in uniform regardless whether she is on or off duty.

The thing is, Bloomy has learned how to use magic words - no cop will ever be against anything that increases "officer safety" no matter how outrageous the notion might be. If nothing else they will look for a way to modify the idea so it is not quite as outrageous as the original.

stay safe.

carolina guy

why limit the strike to police officers?

How about other government employees? Then we can find out exactly how few we really need -- so it will never happen.