Thread: Rifle for a yout?

Rifle for a yout?

All

I am getting ready to purchase a rifle, as a gift, for an 8 year old family member. (I am an Uncle).

This will be his first gun so I want something fairly basic, that is sized correctly for him.

I was thinking something like a standard 10/22 however I am not sure if that will fit him correctly. (can you get youth size stocks if so what models would you recommend)?

I am also thinking a lever action would be good because from some post a read it seams little kids get bored with a single shot after a while (there is a big surprise) and a lever action allows them to grow.

That being said the Henry Lever Action (youth) seams like a good fit. However I am more interested on what you would recommend.

Banned
    A 50 cal beowulf rifle? Ha, just kidding....

8 yrs old? A Remington 700 with a scope .. 20" model ...

calibers to choose from:

.17 Rem., .222 Rem., .223 Rem., .22-250 Rem., .243 Win., .25-06 Rem., .270 Win., 7mm-08 Rem., .280 Rem., 7mm Rem. Mag., 7mm Ultra Mag, .308 Win., .30-06 Spfd., .300 Win. Mag., .300 Ultra Mag, .338 Win. Mag., .338 Ultra Mag and .375 Ultra Ma

Get a 223 and he'll use it forever...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/72818 just one I saw online, not a recommendation - just an example of its existence
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-29-2012 at 01:45 AM.

The 700 is a great gun. The .223 is a very good round for beginners. Can you find a cheaper rifle round? It has very little felt recoil (mostly in semi) but it feels better than a .22 for most. I get bored shooting a .22 because there is nothing to it. With a 700 scoped in a .223 you can plink at some distances has he gets better. It is big enough to take deer but I would not recommend it for a humane kill. You can keep prices low be purchasing the "kit" model with scope and rifle, walmart sales them cheap. I would suggest buying from your favorite gun store though. The scope isn't of high quality though.

I also think you can get one with iron sights (for teaching a kid to shoot) and then put that scope back on there for using the gun. Also to note, the .243 is a great round for beginners who want a bit more without the heavy recoil of a .270/.308/etc

If you want a .22 then Ruger probably makes the most common. The 10/22 is a very good gun, it is very accurate at short distances (cheap .22 ammo). At 7yds I had a friend shoot a matchstick in two. Watched that with my own two eyes. You shouldn't have to get a "youth" model as all the carbine 10/22s are very short as it is, but I do think they do make one. Magazines are very numerous in design and commonly available.

If you want a .22 in bolt action, Ruger makes the 77/22. If I am not mistaken, it takes the same mag as the 10/22.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Look at bolt action 22 LR rifles -- with a bolt action kids will learn to aim, rather than hose and ammo is dirt cheap so literally they can shoot as much as they want to.

Check out Chipmunk Rifles.

O2
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

Might go with a Savage, Weatherby, or a Winchester Model 70 all have a better safety than a Remington 700.

The 22-250, 222 Rem, 5.56 Nato, 30/30 Winchester, are all good chamberings.

P.O. Ackley has shown that the 22-250 is a very effect hunting cartridge with very little recoil. Just remember to replace the barrel after about 1000 rounds because it's an over bore cartridge.

The youth size just matters what stock you get it on.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Regarding the topic title...

Whats a 'yout'?
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    Regarding the topic title...

Whats a 'yout'?
    Yout + h = Youth
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

The little 10/22 takedown model I just purchased is great. I would have loved it as a first rifle. My first one was a mossburg 22 bolt action. I loved it! Whatever you choose keep the magazine capacity low for a starter rifle IMHO. I had to work hard to undo a kids bad habits acquired from a Calico 22 rifle with a hundred round mag.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Yout + h = Youth
    I was kinda hoping someone would pop in and get the reference to the movie "my cousin vinny" xD
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

What's a "yout"?

Must be before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    Must be before my time.
    Damn kids and your music and social webs.

Anyways a 10/22 with a tapco stock. Has a collapsible ar style stock, Pistol grip, rails. Does not mess with the sights to much. That way he can tacticool it out as he gets older.
    Last edited by Wolfstanus; 07-29-2012 at 11:02 PM.

All

Thanks all good suggestions. I will look over the models and make a decision.

A little extra detail on what I am looking for...

1. He will learn to shot with iron sights, and place a single shot where we wants it. So iron sights single shot/proper hit is the most critical features for him.

2. I would like to be able to expand on this once he has the basics down using the same rifle. So adding a scope/optic or a magazine is a plus but not a requirement.

A final question....

Would an 8 year old (std height/weight) be comfortable shooting an AR-15 with a collapsible stock?

I never thought to take him to the range with mine; but with the collapsible stock I think it may fit him for a "test" range day.

Also the Yout in the title was from My Cousin Vinny, turns out I spelled Yout incorrectly...

Vinny Gambini: It is possible that the two yutes...
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: ...Ah, the two what? Uh... uh, what was that word?
    Vinny Gambini: Uh... what word?
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: Two what?
    Vinny Gambini: What?
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: Uh... did you say 'yutes'?
    Vinny Gambini: Yeah, two yutes.
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: What is a yute?
    Vinny Gambini: [beat] Oh, excuse me, your honor...
    [exaggerated]
    Vinny Gambini: Two YOUTHS.

Depends on if your going to hunt and what you want to hunt or just shoot. If hunting, I would go with a youth 22 and take him squirrel hunting. Squirrels are plentiful and good eating too. If going for deer than a youth 243, but I would go for the 22, that way he can learn about shooting without the cost and also squirrel hunt, then move to something else later. Deer rifles are loud and that might be a little too much for someone to learn with. Rossi makes a youth single shot that comes with 2 barrels,one in 22 or 243 and also a shotgun barrel in 410 or 20ga. Single shots are best for learning, safer and it teaches them the fundementals of loading then shooting. This is my opinion, but I have had experience with my boy.Whatever you choose, just make sure its enjoyable for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas49.56 View Post
    Whatever you choose keep the magazine capacity low for a starter rifle IMHO. I had to work hard to undo a kids bad habits acquired from a Calico 22 rifle with a hundred round mag.
    Along with the iron sights that is a given. I would almost prefer a bolt action and buy a rifle later that had a mag. My preference would be a rifle that allows him to grow. Can you get a single shot MAG? If so that is what he will learn with and will expand my options greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    Depends on if your going to hunt and what you want to hunt or just shoot. If hunting...
    Just to clarify no hunting just shooting a hole in paper.

I myself have never been hunting (Dad did not like firearms after one of his brothers was killed in a hunting accident...aka I have never been hunting).

Quote Originally Posted by PWC_Glock View Post
    Would an 8 year old (std height/weight) be comfortable shooting an AR-15 with a collapsible stock?
    It shouldn't lead to any problems at all. The .223/5.56 is a very tame round in the rifle world. The semi auto helps reduce the felt recoil of an already recoilless (less recoil) round. If you want to get fancy with it you can get any "entry rifle" with a fold up rear sight and put a scope on it later. It sounds odd (if you have never tried it) but even though the front post is blocking most of the scope, you cannot see it when you look through the scope. ARs are super easy to customize if you have the money for what you want (or the skills and/or equipment). You can turn any AR into something that fits like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC_Glock View Post
    Just to clarify no hunting just shooting a hole in paper.

I myself have never been hunting (Dad did not like firearms after one of his brothers was killed in a hunting accident...aka I have never been hunting).
    So hunting is out of the question, or are you saying this rifle will not be used for hunting?