• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mariners' Museum Anti-gun?

ryan7068

I recently attended a retirement ceremony of a friend that was held at the mariners' museum up in newport news. Just for kicks I decided to check out their website to see if the happen to have a no firearms policy. Most places don't seem to put that policy on their websites if they do have one, in my limited experience. In any case, when I walked up to enter, I noticed the behind the tinted glass posting of no firearms. Unfortunately, I locked up my firearm in my vehicle and attended. I later talked to the (unarmed) security, and they said that all the stuff in their is quite valuable and the policy was to deter theft. I didn't have the time to argue the point but was quite confused :eek: The rationale that people use is baffling! Such a policy, at such a warriors place of celebration. Very sad! I will be sending a letter to the establishment via their contact us on marinersmuseum.org. I can't seem to find out who owns it though. I would like to hear that its city owned and thereby an illegal posting. Anyone know?

IMG_20120727_161244.jpg

ryan7068

I sent the following

subject: endangerment of guests

To whom it may concern. (Please forward to the appropriate party)

I recently was lucky enough to attend a retirement ceremony at your establishment and thereby able to see all that you have to offer. I had a wonderful time and your establishment was quite impressive. I did however notice your posting of a no firearms policy. I am very much in favor of the allowance of such a policy as to not infringe on ones rights while on their property. I would however like you to consider the following. Crime is a constant in this country, state, and city. Gun free zone such as yours are quite often targeted by criminals in shooting scenarios (i.e. Columbine, Colorodo Movie Theater, Virginia Tech). Every person that carries a firearm is held accountable for their own actions by our court system. Also, your security didn't seem to be armed either. Ultimately, you are requiring your Guest/ Patrons to give up their right to self-defense as well as your security guards, then they are trusting you to keep them safe. I would say that you are making their safety your responsibility and if anything should happen to them, you could be potentially liable.

I do strongly urge you to visit Opencarry.org and their Virginia forum and see the information available there. I would also strongly urge you to do a bit of independent research regarding the carry of firearms by law abiding citizens, and I hope that you may come to agree with me as for the need to allow people their human right to self-defense.

Thank you for the consideration and enjoy your day!