• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC and Family

ryan7068

Recently my father was in from the Gun Free Zone/Self-defense Free Zone of California. I had mentioned to him on several occasions over the last couple years that I OC about 90% of any given day. He had always been quite concerned. During his visit as I carried throughout our travel he seemed to be the most nervous :( When we got back to my place after the second day he asked if I could not carry. When I asked him why he said that everyone around us was staring and nervous and made him nervous. I told him about the frequency that it was done here and many other states as well as the supporting arguments for OC. He said he hadn't seen a single other person OC since his arrival. Low and behold an hour later he saw someone. We went to the range at the end of his trip and he shot about 300 rounds and low and behold he had a great time and was no longer afraid of firearms. What a concept? I seems the people most afraid are the ones with little or no experience with firearms. Some even do pull that"I have a permit" card and have a queen safe at home they don't know the first thing about(sorry to generalize). In any case, it was quite the experience and was happy to alleviate his concern. He may even move out here in the future:cool:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Glad to read that your father enjoyed himself and his time with you - especially at the range.

It always seems that the first few times you do something new nobody else does it and you get the feeling you forgot to put on your pants or something because everybody is looking at you. Then you realize that while they may be looking they are not fainting/running away in horror/dialing 9-1-1. Then you begin to notice other folks doing the same thing as you. Pretty soon you might notice folks talking to you about carrying a gun and even asking questions about you carrying, them carrying, and how to tell a Glock from an AK-47 when it is in the holster.

I find I become more frustrated with the folks who want to share that they have a CHP and a gun back home in the safe than with anybody else, including the openly hating haters.

stay safe.

RandyVA

... During his visit as I carried throughout our travel he seemed to be the most nervous :( When we got back to my place after the second day he asked if I could not carry. When I asked him why he said that everyone around us was staring and nervous and made him nervous. ...

Anytime I'm out I have never felt like everyone around me felt nervous. I've gotten a few glances but never anymore than that. It was probably just his own nervousness that made him feel like everyone else was to. Granted I was a little nervous myself the first couple of times I OC'd but that was just because I had never done it before, and I wasn't sure how everyone would react.

The Airframer

I find I become more frustrated with the folks who want to share that they have a CHP and a gun back home in the safe than with anybody else, including the openly hating haters.

This perturbs me like nothing else. Whenever we get into an open debate about guns and gun laws/2nd Amendment at work, one of the guys always brings up his pistol (that hasn't ever been fired or ever out of the safe) and the fact that he is a gun owner with a CHP that never carries but still states that some "compromise" in gun laws must be given to make everyone happy.

Just because you have a membership to the country club doesn't mean you know the first thing about golfing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This perturbs me like nothing else. Whenever we get into an open debate about guns and gun laws/2nd Amendment at work, one of the guys always brings up his pistol (that hasn't ever been fired or ever out of the safe) and the fact that he is a gun owner with a CHP that never carries but still states that some "compromise" in gun laws must be given to make everyone happy.

Just because you have a membership to the country club doesn't mean you know the first thing about golfing.

Or that he's a member of the NRA...and then my favorite, I'm applying for my permit so I can carry.