Thread: No Firearm Sign -- Las Cruces (Walton) Walmart

No Firearm Sign -- Las Cruces (Walton) Walmart

Went to Wally World in Las Cruces yesterday to pick up some ammo. There was a prominent No Firearms sign on the Garden Dept. entry doors. Anyone else seen this at (any New Mexico) Walmarts recently?

I would call HQ and report it. Walmarts are supposed to follow state law from what I understand, and that restriction is not consistent with the policy. I would expect the signs to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by AH.74 View Post
    I would call HQ and report it. Walmarts are supposed to follow state law from what I understand, and that restriction is not consistent with the policy. I would expect the signs to be removed.
    AH74 is correct. I would first ask to talk to the manager. A local Albuquerque Walmart & Sam's Club had signs at one time and when I talked to the manager they checked with corporate and the signs were down within a week. I think this policy letter still applies:

“DATE: Friday, April 16, 1999 2:13 PM
    Subject: RE: Firearms
    Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.
    The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.
    We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.
    Thank you,
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.”

That letter is out of date. Walmart now allows customer to open or conceal carry in accordance with state and local laws.

Source: Worked for Walmart for five years ending in 2011.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 07-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    That letter is out of date. Walmart now allows customer to open or conceal carry in accordance with state and local laws.

Source: Worked for Walmart for five years ending in 2011.
    I have a voice message from corporate that confirms Walmart follows State Laws concerning firearms carry. Unfortunately our system doesn't like the file type and I'm digitally challenged.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Valley Store, too, but more discrete

Went by the Valley store (Las Cruces) today. They, too, have a sign off to the left of the main entrance -- rather small and inconspicuous. Seems to be spreading. Will see if I can get some time this week to talk with the managers. If anyone beats me to it, that's OK, too. :-)

Thanks all. That was my understanding (stores follow state regs) from previous posts.
    Last edited by NMBill; 07-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.

If this is the sign you've seen then Walmart is following state law. NM Admin code requires licensed liquor establishments to display four signs, this is one of them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noguns.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	8997

15.11.2.10 POSTERS:

A. Licensees shall display the following posters in full public view within the licensed premises. The director will prescribe the forms and sizes of the posters and will make copies available to all licensees:

(1) posters giving notice the law prohibits the carrying of any operative firearm on a licensed premises;

(2) posters warning of the dangers of drinking alcoholic beverages during pregnancy;

(3) posters identifying areas of the licensed premises in which minors are prohibited, unless accompanied by a parent, adult spouse or legal guardian; and

(4) posters warning of the dangers of, and penalties for, driving while intoxicated.

The sign refers to the statute regarding carrying firearms in licensed liquor establishments. So if one has a valid concealed carry license, and is carrying concealed, it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by nm_ray View Post
    If this is the sign you've seen then Walmart is following state law. NM Admin code requires licensed liquor establishments to display four signs, this is one of them.

Name:	noguns.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	8997

The sign refers to the statute regarding carrying firearms in licensed liquor establishments. So if one has a valid concealed carry license, and is carrying concealed, it's legal.
    I should have said it's legal in my layman's opinion.

Campaign Veteran
    Technically, one is only "guilty" if caught (and then charged/tried/found guilty). ;-)

I haven't noticed it but I would ignore it if I saw it anyway. As been stated above Walmart's corporate policy is to follow state law. As long as you're not open carrying and you have a CCW permit you're legal.

I was in the walmart on Unser Boulevardand there was not sign on the door I looked
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Campaign Veteran
    @RogueAussie:

I was there at the Unser store last December and saw these signs outside in the parking lot (attached). If you didn't see them they must have been taken down since then.

IMO, they're all the more reason to be carrying...

;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kangaroo.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	9014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	koala-crossing-sign.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	9015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	9016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crocodile-sign.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	9017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wombat.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	9018  

Name:	tasmanian_devil.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	9019  
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 08-01-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Progress

No response from Walmart Corporate, but the "No Firearms" sign I spotted at the Walton Walmart is gone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NMBill View Post
    No response from Walmart Corporate, but the "No Firearms" sign I spotted at the Walton Walmart is gone.
    Maybe stolen ! lol unarmed facility ...

The Wal-mart in Rio Rancho has a sign exactly like the one posted a few back, but its only located in the alcoholic beverages aisle. I try to steer clear of that aisle, every time I come within sight of it a round tries to leap in to the chamber and commit suicide by hitting itself in the primer.