• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Firearm Sign -- Las Cruces (Walton) Walmart

NMBill

Went to Wally World in Las Cruces yesterday to pick up some ammo. There was a prominent No Firearms sign on the Garden Dept. entry doors. Anyone else seen this at (any New Mexico) Walmarts recently?

AH.74

I would call HQ and report it. Walmarts are supposed to follow state law from what I understand, and that restriction is not consistent with the policy. I would expect the signs to be removed.

snoball

I would call HQ and report it. Walmarts are supposed to follow state law from what I understand, and that restriction is not consistent with the policy. I would expect the signs to be removed.

AH74 is correct. I would first ask to talk to the manager. A local Albuquerque Walmart & Sam's Club had signs at one time and when I talked to the manager they checked with corporate and the signs were down within a week. I think this policy letter still applies:

“DATE: Friday, April 16, 1999 2:13 PM
Subject: RE: Firearms
Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.
The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.
We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.
Thank you,
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.”

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That letter is out of date. Walmart now allows customer to open or conceal carry in accordance with state and local laws.

Source: Worked for Walmart for five years ending in 2011.

Last edited:

Maine Expat

That letter is out of date. Walmart now allows customer to open or conceal carry in accordance with state and local laws.

Source: Worked for Walmart for five years ending in 2011.

I have a voice message from corporate that confirms Walmart follows State Laws concerning firearms carry. Unfortunately our system doesn't like the file type and I'm digitally challenged.

NMBill

Valley Store, too, but more discrete

Went by the Valley store (Las Cruces) today. They, too, have a sign off to the left of the main entrance -- rather small and inconspicuous. Seems to be spreading. Will see if I can get some time this week to talk with the managers. If anyone beats me to it, that's OK, too. :)

Thanks all. That was my understanding (stores follow state regs) from previous posts.

Last edited:

nm_ray

If this is the sign you've seen then Walmart is following state law. NM Admin code requires licensed liquor establishments to display four signs, this is one of them.

noguns.jpg

15.11.2.10 POSTERS:

A. Licensees shall display the following posters in full public view within the licensed premises. The director will prescribe the forms and sizes of the posters and will make copies available to all licensees:

(1) posters giving notice the law prohibits the carrying of any operative firearm on a licensed premises;

(2) posters warning of the dangers of drinking alcoholic beverages during pregnancy;

(3) posters identifying areas of the licensed premises in which minors are prohibited, unless accompanied by a parent, adult spouse or legal guardian; and

(4) posters warning of the dangers of, and penalties for, driving while intoxicated.

The sign refers to the statute regarding carrying firearms in licensed liquor establishments. So if one has a valid concealed carry license, and is carrying concealed, it's legal.

nm_ray

If this is the sign you've seen then Walmart is following state law. NM Admin code requires licensed liquor establishments to display four signs, this is one of them.

View attachment 8997

The sign refers to the statute regarding carrying firearms in licensed liquor establishments. So if one has a valid concealed carry license, and is carrying concealed, it's legal.

I should have said it's legal in my layman's opinion.

castiel

I haven't noticed it but I would ignore it if I saw it anyway. As been stated above Walmart's corporate policy is to follow state law. As long as you're not open carrying and you have a CCW permit you're legal.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
@RogueAussie:

I was there at the Unser store last December and saw these signs outside in the parking lot (attached). If you didn't see them they must have been taken down since then.

IMO, they're all the more reason to be carrying...

;-)

Attachments

• Kangaroo.png
    Kangaroo.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 135
  • koala-crossing-sign.jpg
    koala-crossing-sign.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 587
  • shark.jpg
    shark.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 386
  • crocodile-sign.jpg
    crocodile-sign.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 144
  • wombat.jpg
    wombat.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 148
  • tasmanian_devil.jpg
    tasmanian_devil.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

NMBill

Progress

No response from Walmart Corporate, but the "No Firearms" sign I spotted at the Walton Walmart is gone.

mwaterous

The Wal-mart in Rio Rancho has a sign exactly like the one posted a few back, but its only located in the alcoholic beverages aisle. I try to steer clear of that aisle, every time I come within sight of it a round tries to leap in to the chamber and commit suicide by hitting itself in the primer.