• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protecting our freedoms and the current/recent wars

since9

Campaign Veteran
I reade your fancy post.

I am a Nihilist...

In short, CA Patriot, no - B92FS has not read your post. Why should he? After all, a nihilist is one with "a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths." - Merriam Webster. Furthermore, by definition, the nihilist believes "that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility." By definition, the only reason for B92FS to ever read anyone's post is to destroy it.

FYI, Nihilism's roots are in a 19th century Russian party advocating revolutionary reform and using terrorism and assassination. So, if you take B92FS's posts with that rather large block of salt, they'll be more palatable.

Beretta92FSLady

In short, CA Patriot, no - B92FS has not read your post. Why should he? After all, a nihilist is one with "a viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless b : a doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths." - Merriam Webster. Furthermore, by definition, the nihilist believes "that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of any constructive program or possibility." By definition, the only reason for B92FS to ever read anyone's post is to destroy it.

FYI, Nihilism's roots are in a 19th century Russian party advocating revolutionary reform and using terrorism and assassination. So, if you take B92FS's posts with that rather large block of salt, they'll be more palatable.

I reade the posts, and responded accordingly. Not that existence is senseless and useless, just that there is no intrinsic value to it. There is zero Objective ground of Truth, that is, perceivable by any of us--if there is such a Truth, or set of Truths, we will never see it. Nihilism does cover all of those things you outlined, but is not the culmination of A Nihilist. Nihilism is not a set of things, rather, it spans things.--but with any philosophical position (or stance), there is not The Nihilist, there is only A Nihilist.

Last edited:

DCKilla

This is very interesting topic that most Americans will not discuss or be ridiculed for even speaking of it. Frankly, I was one of those folks who believed that troops fought for or freedom every time the walked out the door. But in the past couple of years my perspective has changed.
Well, the last time our freedom as a country was fought for would have to be the Revolutionary War. Everything else was for unification, peace, and/or safety.

sudden valley gunner

This is very interesting topic that most Americans will not discuss or be ridiculed for even speaking of it. Frankly, I was one of those folks who believed that troops fought for or freedom every time the walked out the door. But in the past couple of years my perspective has changed.
Well, the last time our freedom as a country was fought for would have to be the Revolutionary War. Everything else was for unification, peace, and/or safety.

Yep...all in the name of centralized Federal control. Which has given us more division, less peace and definitely less safety......

DCKilla

I posted this question on my facebook page.

When was the last time our troops fought for our freedom?

Oh boy, talk about a firestorm of emotion. This came mainly from my father-in-law (ret. navy captain) and sister-in-law. I tell you what. This country may not be ready for this debate.

Last edited:

DCKilla

Here is an interesting video. I have some issues with her opinion about Afghanistan, but for the most part on topic.

[video=youtube;Szpkx_YjUT8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szpkx_YjUT8[/video]

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm a US Navy veteran. Not once did I fight for your freedom.

I did help put a dictator back into office in Haiti once, though.

BUT, I was there READY to fight for your freedom. The problem is not in the military, but in its political puppet masters.

Jack House

I posted this question on my facebook page.

When was the last time our troops fought for our freedom?

Oh boy, talk about a firestorm of emotion. This came mainly from my father-in-law (ret. navy captain) and sister-in-law. I tell you what. This country may not be ready for this debate.
Someone posted an image on Facebook that stated the same. I asked my question in response to that image. The only other people that commented, asked the same question or simply agreed with me. The poster never responded.

PistolPackingMomma

I hope not, the Brown Coats lost. :uhoh:

Yes, but ultimately, their regime was weakened by one little smuggling ship and its crew. Besides, which side would you rather be on? Don't think of it as the losing or winning side, but the right or wrong side.

Freedom First

Yes, but ultimately, their regime was weakened by one little smuggling ship and its crew. Besides, which side would you rather be on? Don't think of it as the losing or winning side, but the right or wrong side.

I've thought long and hard about the concept of being on the "winning" side. Is it truly winning if you side with a group or ideal that you do not agree with? This is the lie that is manifested here in America every two years around election time: "I voted for the lesser of two evils." Sure, your vote went to the side that won but did you win? Was a vote for McCain truly a better vote? Would he and his party set you on the path to more personal Freedom? I strongly doubt it.

My vote is no longer for sale. I will not be bribed into supporting someone or a party that fails to stand with the same values I hold. If that means I "lose" the election, then so be it.

In the fictional world of Firefly, the Brownshirts did lose the war but the kept the moral and ideological high ground. Is it better to retain your life if the cost to keep it is to lose the chance to provide future generations access to Freedom and Liberty?