• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

21 to buy ammo?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
no none of that is illegal, What IS illegal is telling the 19 year old who is not over the age to buy handgun ammo, to just tell the FFL its for a carbine he doesn't own and turn around and use it in a handgun he does own. In order to get around the Law of haveing to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. thats illegal, and immoral

Immoral? What is immoral is that the Federal government INFRINGES on our right to keep and bear arms. Anyone over the age of 18 should be able to purchase ammo for any gun they own, rent, borrow, loan, use, etc. Telling the dealer that you are using the ammo in a carbine, when you know good and well you're actually using it in a Handgun is illegal, but not immoral. It might be a violation of social standards, but who's standards, the anti-gunners? It is illegal and nothing more. All he needs to do is have his dad or whoever purchase the ammunition for him when they go to purchase some for themselves or whatever. I have never been asked why I am purchasing ammunition, or if I was purchasing it for someone else, therefore I have never lied about my purchase. It is legal for someone to purchase ammunition for him as long as he is over the age of 18.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I know right?~ Everyone here are really awesome and you should meet them in person~ Well, atleast the Central-KY peeps, and a couple of us from Bath and Rowan, and Bourbon I think, may have been Harrison co... Oh! and, the forum loves you too hun~ <3
----------

@LoneEchoWolf;

PUNCUATION! Dear gods man, put some spacing in there, and use parahraphs, and semi-paragraphs. Your post literally made my eyes hurt reading it. Also, I think you took what I was saying out of context, I'm not really sure, I was under the influence of some very powerful pain killers last night when I came home from the E.R., so even reading back on what I said I can't figure out what I meant, LOL.

Drake. There are several punctuation mistakes in your post! I have also noticed several other grammatical errors. Come on man! Haha.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

Immoral? What is immoral is that the Federal government INFRINGES on our right to keep and bear arms. Anyone over the age of 18 should be able to purchase ammo for any gun they own, rent, borrow, loan, use, etc. Telling the dealer that you are using the ammo in a carbine, when you know good and well you're actually using it in a Handgun is illegal, but not immoral. It might be a violation of social standards, but to who, the anti-gunners? It is illegal and nothing more. All he needs to do is have his dad or whoever purchase the ammunition for him when they go to purchase some for themselves or whatever. I have never been asked why I am purhasing ammunition, or if I was purchasing it for someone else, therefore I have never lied about my purchase. It is legal for someone to purchase ammunition for him as long as he is over the age of 18.

Correct, And i suppose i do see your point on it not so much being immoral but for sure against the law. I guess i was more meaning it was immoral to tell the 19 year old to break the law than anything else being immoral. if you catch what im meaning.

09jisaac

no none of that is illegal, What IS illegal is telling the 19 year old who is not over the age to buy handgun ammo, to just tell the FFL its for a carbine he doesn't own and turn around and use it in a handgun he does own. In order to get around the Law of haveing to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. thats illegal, and immoral

I don't think you understand what immoral is. Just because something is illegal does not mean that it is immoral. Most men go by a personal code, they don't take everything just because they are told it is right. Is it right that at the age of 18 I can be forced to serve my country but I cannot buy a tool of my choosing for self defense? A handgun is the tool of choice for home defense. Many people do not live with their parents after they are of legal age, what are they suppose to do? Sacrifice their safety/ personal comfort because the system has a kink in it?

What is wrong and what is against the law can sometimes be two separate things. Unfortunately the government cares little about us "little people" or I would advocate doing things strictly within the law. I have mailed my US senator asking for this law to be amended, but our government scarcely works that way. Usually I don't even get a return letter/phone call.

Also, he is not a Kid. He is a human, not a goat. If you are saying he is still a minor, he is not a minor either. Your comparisons are also false. There are two different kinds of wrong. Things you know are wrong and things you are told is wrong. Murder, drunk driving, and speeding are totally different. You exaggerated the point too far to make the points comparison. It would be more akin to buying/selling un-pasteurized milk. Both are illegal and neither should be.

By your logic blacks shouldn't have sat anywhere they choose on the bus, because that was illegal. The colonists shouldn't have rebelled against the crown, also illegal. And people shouldn't be able to defend their life with a firearm in England because that too is illegal. (See, I used comparable points).

Lastly, that big blob of words of yours was difficult to understand. Drake is right. We are not attacking you, really we are not, him and I are just suggesting a better writing style. Your last two points were easier to understand than that one.

DrakeZ07

HA gunna start bashing my punctuation, sad. but thats alright, tech paragraphs (which is spelled correctly) unlike parahraphs which I'm not sure what that is have certain things yours are lacking, as in starting correctly with a TAB button push, its pretty easy it says TAB and is on all keyboards, i didn't realize i was in high school writing for my English teacher again, you got my point and thats all that matters. As you can see everyone can point out a puncuation mistake. Your eyes hurting is none of my concern just as "Officer safety" isn't, not my job to worry about your eyes, just don't read it. Sorry to hear that you are hurting and needed medication and i hope that you start to feel better.

Was not trying to be rude or whatnot but maybe you all should be less concerned with my punctuation and more concerned with people of your state going about telling people to break the laws, that looks real bad on every person in your state that has condoned such actions, and looks real bad for all OC on this site and nation wide, to puts us all in the group of Open carriers that go around the laws to get there way, and i for one am not in that group. Stop making everyone look bad, Thanks!

I've always been taught to take pride in everything I say and do~ Preaching about using the Tab key, eh? How come none of your responses thus far have any semblance of the use of such an object? Oh, wait, mayhaps the fact that the tab function doesn't work on this forum? [That, or the TAB key on my 6y/o Logitech G15 keyboard is shot to hell xD].

Oh, I'm not at all concerned about the others' actions, and what they say or do~ Wait, that sounds bad, umm, hmm... I mean, they can say and do as they please, online and offline, and I have no right to infringe upon their first amendment right to free speech, nor do I have any authority to judge, and/or preach to them about anything they may think, believe, understand, act, or do. Their individuals with rights, and a solid free will. Thereby, it's not any of our concern how the other speaks, in this sub-forum, or in any other section of the forums, or offline, in real life, on the streets, or on TV. Each of us can only speak freely our own personal opinion of how we, ourselves, would act or do, either differently, or the same.

And honestly, speaking on my own behalf, and that of my Boyfriend who also OC's, and reads these forums; Neither of us are put off, nor feels offended, insulted, or in anyway feel like we're made to look bad, just because of the stated opinions, and intrapersonal advice of our other OCDO members. Likewise, the both of us at-least, would happily stake our lives, and money to bail out, and help the others if they did get in legal trouble for offering their opinions.

I hope that clears things up on my end, and perhaps makes you consider picking and choosing of words that aren't supportive of the basic individual right to not only bear arms, but the other guidelines and principles our nation, and indeed our great commonwealth, was founded upon.

Carry on~ hehe, pun intended.

DrakeZ07

Drake. There are several punctuation mistakes in your post! I have also noticed several other grammatical errors. Come on man! Haha.

D: Hey! I'm allowed a couple errors here and there... Just because I'm of Prussian heritage, doesn't mean I'm perfect... Superior to everyone else, yes, but not perfect. j/k

*Author is not in fact superior, or perfect, but likes to think he is because he actually likes being a stereotype, it's fun and amusing, and makes him feel all warm and soft and fuzzy on the inside... Or is that the catepillar he accidentally swallowed... Carry on.

Last edited:

LoneEchoWolf

I've always been taught to take pride in everything I say and do~ Preaching about using the Tab key, eh? How come none of your responses thus far have any semblance of the use of such an object? Oh, wait, mayhaps the fact that the tab function doesn't work on this forum? [That, or the TAB key on my 6y/o Logitech G15 keyboard is shot to hell xD].

Oh, I'm not at all concerned about the others' actions, and what they say or do~ Wait, that sounds bad, umm, hmm... I mean, they can say and do as they please, online and offline, and I have no right to infringe upon their first amendment right to free speech, nor do I have any authority to judge, and/or preach to them about anything they may think, believe, understand, act, or do. Their individuals with rights, and a solid free will. Thereby, it's not any of our concern how the other speaks, in this sub-forum, or in any other section of the forums, or offline, in real life, on the streets, or on TV. Each of us can only speak freely our own personal opinion of how we, ourselves, would act or do, either differently, or the same.

And honestly, speaking on my own behalf, and that of my Boyfriend who also OC's, and reads these forums; Neither of us are put off, nor feels offended, insulted, or in anyway feel like we're made to look bad, just because of the stated opinions, and intrapersonal advice of our other OCDO members. Likewise, the both of us at-least, would happily stake our lives, and money to bail out, and help the others if they did get in legal trouble for offering their opinions.

I hope that clears things up on my end, and perhaps makes you consider picking and choosing of words that aren't supportive of the basic individual right to not only bear arms, but the other guidelines and principles our nation, and indeed our great commonwealth, was founded upon.

Carry on~ hehe, pun intended.

(snip) *Author is not in fact superior, or perfect, but likes to think he is because he actually likes being a stereotype, it's fun and amusing, and makes him feel all warm and soft and fuzzy on the inside... Or is that the catepillar he accidentally swallowed... Carry on.

Like the notice on the bottom of that post, too funny!

Yep tab key don't work, and the auto formatting takes out any spaces that you put before a paragraph. So your right there. Funny that you say you cant judge anyone by what they do or say, but just before, i believe you were judging me on my punctuation.. hmm. and i guess my last point would have to be, do you think when the OP posted the question he was wanting to hear opinions that could get him in trouble with the law? or do you think he could have done that himself and was looking for other peoples lawful opinions on the matter? i don't think he was looking for someone to bail him out if he got caught but was more looking for a way to lawfully get his ammo. i guess thats just my opinion.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Like the notice on the bottom of that post, too funny!

Yep tab key don't work, and the auto formatting takes out any spaces that you put before a paragraph. So your right there. Funny that you say you cant judge anyone by what they do or say, but just before, i believe you were judging me on my punctuation.. hmm. and i guess my last point would have to be, do you think when the OP posted the question he was wanting to hear opinions that could get him in trouble with the law? or do you think he could have done that himself and was looking for other peoples lawful opinions on the matter? i don't think he was looking for someone to bail him out if he got caught but was more looking for a way to lawfully get his ammo. i guess thats just my opinion.

You do realize that "we the people" get the last say in what is illegal and what is not don't you?

Are you a registered voter? If so then you, like all registered voters, are eligible to be on the jury. Tell me, truthfully, what kind of punishment would you give a man for purchasing something he can't legally purchase (or lying about it to purchase it) but he can legally own it, he can legally purchase it elsewhere, and he can legally use it? I don't think I would fault someone for lying about something that they shouldn't have to lie about. I guess that is not in your code, is it? Would you hang a man just because the law states he should be hanged, even if it was against your moral code?

Try to get a jury of his peers to convict him. Better yet, find a prosecutor who will bring of charges on something so trivial and stand behind it when it gets the pressure from the people.

LoneEchoWolf

Anywhoo thanks for the fun conversation always nice! i just didn't want this kids thread to get shutdown because of someone telling him something unlawful, id rather see him get his ammo legally and carry on carrying on. So again to clarify, i advise you to get your parents to buy your ammo legally until you are able to yourself. and on a related note may i suggest looking into hornady critical duty self defense rounds, they passed all 5 FBI protocol tests and for me are really reliable. Thanks again for the conversation and please try to remain a LAC!

LoneEchoWolf

You do realize that "we the people" get the last say in what is illegal and what is not don't you?

Are you a registered voter? If so then you, like all registered voters, are eligible to be on the jury. Tell me, truthfully, what kind of punishment would you give a man for purchasing something he can't legally purchase (or lying about it to purchase it) but he can legally own it, he can legally purchase it elsewhere, and he can legally use it? I don't think I would fault someone for lying about something that they shouldn't have to lie about. I guess that is not in your code, is it? Would you hang a man just because the law states he should be hanged, even if it was against your moral code?

Try to get a jury of his peers to convict him. Better yet, find a prosecutor who will bring of charges on something so trivial and stand behind it when it gets the pressure from the people.

Hey if you have the time and extra cash to get in a long drawn out case for something so trivial as getting a parent to buy ammo for you then thats your choice and i am no one to tell you no. i agree there are tons of laws on the books right now that are off the wall crazy and should be voted out and should have never been voted in. but until there taken off the books they are still laws, and you will still have to deal with it in court, guilty, not guilty thats not for me to decide, i for one don't feel many silly laws should be enforced but they are, and every time I'm able to vote something crazy down i do. yet they still get passed and i still have to follow them.

As i said before if everyone could just pick and choose which laws applied to them this would be a crazy place and private property would be nonexistentnt because that law doesn't apply to the criminals. remember man were on the same team here. and we fight these silly laws by voting them down like you said, not breaking them because they are that silly. i understand where your coming from i really do. but do you understand what I'm trying to convey? I for one do not advocate breaking any law what so ever no matter how silly it may be. then again i don't like court houses and lawyers much.

Last edited:

09jisaac

Of course we are on the same team. This forum is full of stupid bickering until one of us needs something, then we always stand shoulder to shoulder.

You and I see eye to eye that this law is in the wrong. I just can't find a way to beat it. I can get my state reps to mail me back (or talk to them) but I can't find any US reps who will do anything about this.

Will.40

I'm not going to go about getting the ammo in an unlawful way. I just thought I would voice my frustration at a law that said I cannot buy ammo unless I am 21 But I am allowed to OC. it got me wondering how can I OC at 19 but not be able to purchase the ammo..and if I did have the ammo and was carrying would I be in violation of a law? it didn't make sense ( as some laws do not ) So I was just venting my anger while looking for advice on how to obtain ammo in a lawful manner.

papa bear

An FFL is not required in order for a business to sell ammo. Most FFL's sell ammo, but non-FFL's do, too. Hardware stores, farm supply stores, gun ranges and even some Walmarts (that don't sell firearms) sell ammo. My Walmart doesn't sell guns, but sells ammo. I've never seen a FFL posted. My local gun range sells ammo and I know he doesn't have an FFL. In any case, it would not be a violation of the law for an 18 yr. old to buy ammo from these places, if they will sell it to you. They don't have to sell it to you, or to anybody. Before it gets started, no, I don't think that is immoral, either; but I'm not too good on morals.

good post. the law states you must be 21 to buy from a FFL dealer. it does not say you can not buy from a non-FFL merchant

I'm not going to go about getting the ammo in an unlawful way. I just thought I would voice my frustration at a law that said I cannot buy ammo unless I am 21 But I am allowed to OC. it got me wondering how can I OC at 19 but not be able to purchase the ammo..and if I did have the ammo and was carrying would I be in violation of a law? it didn't make sense ( as some laws do not ) So I was just venting my anger while looking for advice on how to obtain ammo in a lawful manner.

let me repeat this. it is not unlawful to purchase from a non- FFL merchant under 21 years of age.

Will.40

good post. the law states you must be 21 to buy from a FFL dealer. it does not say you can not buy from a non-FFL merchant

let me repeat this. it is not unlawful to purchase from a non- FFL merchant under 21 years of age.

Thing is I've never seen a store around here that sells ammo that is not FFL

09jisaac

Usually you will find it only at gun shows and flea markets. That is the only places I can find ammo not sold by an FFL holder. You know how rarely I find the ammo I want at a flea market? Never. Do you know how often there is a gun show close? Rarely.

We need to try to get this law off the books. It does nothing besides makes a law abiding citizen ask an older person to buy ammo for him/her. Nothing more than that, usually less.

papa bear

yeah it is hard to find one. there are dozens in my area. have you looked online , there are a few on there that sells ammo that doesn't sell firearms

Usually you will find it only at gun shows and flea markets. That is the only places I can find ammo not sold by an FFL holder. You know how rarely I find the ammo I want at a flea market? Never. Do you know how often there is a gun show close? Rarely.

We need to try to get this law off the books. It does nothing besides makes a law abiding citizen ask an older person to buy ammo for him/her. Nothing more than that, usually less.

good post