Thread: OC in National Forests (Oregon)

OC in National Forests (Oregon)

I'm relatively new to the OC scene, and I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer to my question.

I'm going camping soon at a campground in the Deschutes National Forest. I plan on OCing while I'm there, but I want to make sure there isn't any kind of restrictions I don't know about. The best I can find is that "Discharge of firearms prohibited" in the campground, and I've read on the Forest Service website that there can be a "local order" prohibiting possession or use of a firearm. I have a CHL, so I know I'm exempt for any local ordinances, but surely a "local order" from the FS would supersede Oregon's preemption law.

I don't plan on shooting (unless I have to in self-defense). Does anyone know for sure if it's perfectly legal to OC in Deschutes National Forest?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ljack; 07-30-2012 at 02:38 AM.

There will be several members along shortly to quote you the Oregon Revised Statutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar View Post
    There will be several members along shortly to quote you the Oregon Revised Statutes.
    I've looked in the ORS, and there's no mention of National Forests with regard to OC. I'm fairly certain it's legal since OC is legal in Oregon, and NF are public lands, and because I can't find any prohibition, but I just want to be certain before I go.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    I can't find a good link, but this one makes it pretty clear that there are few regulations: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog.../welcome.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe416 View Post
    I can't find a good link, but this one makes it pretty clear that there are few regulations: http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/prog.../welcome.shtml
    I saw that page, but I haven't been able to find anywhere that says anything more than "there may be restrictions." I was hoping someone here would know, but I may just have to call the Forest Service, which I was avoiding because you talk to 5 different people and you get 5 different answers.

I just got off the phone with the Deschutes National Forest Office and there are no local orders currently in affect, so no problems OCing.

Remember, the USFS as NF and campgrounds all over the US. They go by what local law is, and they do not look up everyone's local laws...hense the caution. You may OC in a USFS campground in or, WA, ID, MT, WY, NV...and on and on..BECAUSE the local (IE State) giovernment does not restrict it.