• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry in a car with a permit?

Burns

I have my conceal carry permit, I've been thinking about open carrying but I'd like to know if it's legal to open carry in a car if you have your permit or if I would have to cover the gun with my shirt every time I'm in the car.

fadepoint89

You have your permit so you can carry it however you'd like in your car. Without a permit it has to be completely visible but since you have your ccl you can have it on the seat, under the seat, glove compartment, on your hip etc...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

AaronS

Yes you can open carry in a car with your CCL. It would look like you do not even need the CCL to OC in a car anymore.

Your CCL only helps the places that you can open carry (school zone). It, in no way, limits the places you can OC.

Wow them were some fast responces!

Last edited:

Burns

Thanks a lot guys I was worried because of the story I just read about the user MKEGal and the situation she was in.

Last edited:

Sorcice

That was right after the new law came into effect and she got hassled for concealing even though the cop saw the weapon. Sigh.

MKEgal

Burns said:
I was worried because of the story I just read about the user MKEGal and the situation she was in.
Which I'm sure you read was resolved in favor of the law. :rolleyes:

Yes, the law (effective 01NOV11) says loaded, unencased carry of a pistol in a car is legal, no license needed.
167.31 (2) (b)
Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless one of the following applies:
1. The firearm is unloaded or is a handgun.

A license allows you to carry concealed if you choose, and you don't have to avoid being near schools you know about.
175.60 (2) (c)
Unless expressly provided in this section, this section does not limit an individual's right to carry a firearm that is not concealed.
See 941.23 for the law about carrying concealed.
You would probably also benefit from reading through the information presented in the sticky thread titled
"New to Open Carrying in WI? Here's what you should know"
It's a lot of information, but covers pretty much every newbie question people tend to come up with.
:D Take it in small chunks. Easier to digest.

Last edited:

Burns

Which I'm sure you read was resolved in favor of the law. :rolleyes: *snip*

Yeah. I'll make sure I read through that link you posted. I know everything there is about conceal carry... but I'm quite a noob when it comes to open carry, which I plan on doing soon, sorry but having a full size m&p in between you and your belt just isn't very comfortable sometimes haha.

Btw, I'm glad everything worked out for you, sorry you had to go through that. I would donate to try to help but my wife and I still need to pay off a huge credit card bill :/ Looking forward from learning more from you and the others here. :)

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

Yeah. I'll make sure I read through that link you posted. I know everything there is about conceal carry... but I'm quite a noob when it comes to open carry, which I plan on doing soon, sorry but having a full size m&p in between you and your belt just isn't very comfortable sometimes haha.

Btw, I'm glad everything worked out for you, sorry you had to go through that. I would donate to try to help but my wife and I still need to pay off a huge credit card bill :/ Looking forward from learning more from you and the others here. :)
If you know everything about concealed carry, then you know everything about oc. The basic rule is you can oc and cc in all the same places if you have a ccl.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

GreenCountyPete

i just quit drinking in class B establishments , it was getting to expensive any way

you can drink and carry in your own home , only you know if that is or isn't a good idea.

it was a small change for me as i didn't drink much any way.

if i had to switch to soft drinks after a 2 glasses of beer so i could drive home any way i can just as well skip the beer

Interceptor_Knight

Thanks a lot guys I was worried because of the story I just read about the user MKEGal and the situation she was in.
Which I'm sure you read was resolved in favor of the law. :rolleyes:

Yes, the law (effective 01NOV11) says loaded, unencased carry of a pistol in a car is legal, no license needed.

A license allows you to carry concealed if you choose, and you don't have to avoid being near schools you know about...

Unfortunately nothing has been resolved possibly through deliberate action by the judge. I am pleased that you were not found guilty of concealed carry. Yours was a case of beating the rap but not beating the ride. Unfortunately others may be subject to the same abuse until this is resolved in the legislature. There is nothing to stop another LEO from citing you or someone else for a 941.23 violation if they do not see the firearm until they put their face up to the window. It would be nice if our "friends" in Madison would see this as reason to amend the Statute to reflect the original intent of making practical vehicle carry 100% legal even without a license.
Here is exactly what 167 says...
167.31 (2) Prohibitions; motorboats and vehicles; highways and roadways.(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess, or transport a firearm, bow, or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless one of the following applies:
1. The firearm is unloaded or is a handgun

167.31 does not give you blanket or other explicit authority to carry a handgun in a vehicle. What it does is prohibit you from possessing a firearm in a vehicle and it makes an exception to the prohibition for a handgun loaded or unloaded and for an unloaded long gun. That is all it does.

Unless there was information withheld regarding your trial, your being found not guilty has everything to do with the firearm not being perceived as hidden by the jury according to the jury instruction and zero to do with 167.31.

Last edited: