Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP .380

Ruger LCP .380

Am looking at this gun for cc. Interested in hearing the pros and cons of this choice.
    Au Dust

I have one, IMO best pocket pistol ever made. Extremely reliable. The only con for some people is the size, but with the mag extension that comes with the lcp+spare mags you can get a good comfortable grip on it. It's not a "range gun" by any means, but for SD it is perfect. I would definitely recommend it.

I have one too. It is really nice for pocket carry. There is a lot of recoil since it's a lightweight gun. The trigger pull takes some time to get used to. It is really long and heavy, but it's nice not having to use a safety. Overall it's not too bad of a little gun.

As the others have said...

It is a great CC pistol as it hides anywhere. It's recoil is a bit on the nasty side for continued shooting. By 50 rounds at the range we are ready to shoot something more pleasant like my .45 or the wife's .40S&W. We shoot it enough to maintain competence.
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org

Not trying to start an argument here, but have you considered the LC9? You get more BANG for your buck, pun intended

How's the recoil? I have a GF who's thinking of buying one for her first pistol. None of the ranges have one we can rent so she can try it out. I'm concerned as a noob she'll end up being afraid of her gun instead of enjoying it.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    How's the recoil? I have a GF who's thinking of buying one for her first pistol. None of the ranges have one we can rent so she can try it out. I'm concerned as a noob she'll end up being afraid of her gun instead of enjoying it.

Like others have said, it's pretty snappy because of its size... it's not a gun that's enjoyable to shoot, but for self defense you really won't notice the recoil. There are some grips you can buy for it online tho, which makes the recoil more manageable.

My wife also says it's "cute"
    Last edited by Burns; 07-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Like others have said, it's pretty snappy because of its size... it's not a gun that's enjoyable to shoot, but for self defense you really won't notice the recoil. There are some grips you can buy for it online tho, which makes the recoil more manageable.

My wife also says it's "cute"
    Thanks. I'm going to research the grips.
    My GF won't say it but I have a feeling the cuteness factor is part of why she wants this make/model.

Thanks. I'm going to research the grips.
    My GF won't say it but I have a feeling the cuteness factor is part of why she wants this make/model.

This is the one that was recommended to me. Haven't gotten around to getting one yet tho.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=7331

Someone else also suggested the LC9, it's not a pocket carry pistol, but if you want something that would be easier to shoot at the range it's another good choice. It's about $50 more than the lcp, so around $350. Either way, both are good choices.

Fairly nasty trigger, nasty recoil, and yet low power. Not the sort of gun I'd suggest to a first time pistol buyer. In real life shooting situations, I'd think it good for nothing more than hip firing and point shooting out to 10-15 feet, depending on the shooters skill level, and that goes for just about any Kel Tec or knock off design. And that's if you know what you're doing. In my opinion, it's a gun for an expert on a budget, and one who can't manage to conceal a pocket 9mm.

With a brand new shooter, such guns can be good at instilling a lack of confidence, and a desire to not practice. And for some reason, a lot of women gravitate towards them, or get them pushed on them by friends/family/gun salesmen. If after test firing someone wants it as a first gun, that's one thing, but it definitely isn't the sort of gun I'd think a first timer should buy based on advice or impulse alone.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Fairly nasty trigger, nasty recoil, and yet low power. Not the sort of gun I'd suggest to a first time pistol buyer. In real life shooting situations, I'd think it good for nothing more than hip firing and point shooting out to 10-15 feet, depending on the shooters skill level, and that goes for just about any Kel Tec or knock off design. And that's if you know what you're doing. In my opinion, it's a gun for an expert on a budget, and one who can't manage to conceal a pocket 9mm.

With a brand new shooter, such guns can be good at instilling a lack of confidence, and a desire to not practice. And for some reason, a lot of women gravitate towards them, or get them pushed on them by friends/family/gun salesmen. If after test firing someone wants it as a first gun, that's one thing, but it definitely isn't the sort of gun I'd think a first timer should buy based on advice or impulse alone.
    It's not really that bad, but the gun you carry with you every day does a lot more than the gun you leave at home because of it being too uncomfortable to carry. You're right it's really a point shoot gun, even tho it is very capable of shooting pretty long range, but most SD situations are within the 10-15 feet you mentioned, or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    It's not really that bad, but the gun you carry with you every day does a lot more than the gun you leave at home because of it being too uncomfortable to carry. You're right it's really a point shoot gun, even tho it is very capable of shooting pretty long range, but most SD situations are within the 10-15 feet you mentioned, or less.
    I agree with everything you said, but would add that if this category of gun must be chosen as a first gun, that it should be easier to shoot. Kahr comes to mind, and maybe just maybe Sig P238's if a staunch commitment can be made to practicing frequently with the thumb safety.

The reason why these hard recoiling guns with bad triggers aren't suitable for long range shooting in a fight, is that it takes too long. Interfacing your hand(s) and arm(s) to the sight while pulling that long and hard trigger back and when recovering from recoil between shots, is much more difficult than gripping the gun almost as tightly as you can, pointing it at your target, and blasting away. But this has its limitations at 10-15 feet, and past that accurate shots get slow as can be, at which point it ceases to have a lot of value in a real fight. Simply put, I don't think they are good guns to use to fight at any distance where sights come in to use. And thus, I don't think they are very suitable for a first timer.

Anyone else may have the proverbial varying mileage...
    Last edited by Michigander; 07-30-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Quote Originally Posted by twpetry View Post
    Not trying to start an argument here, but have you considered the LC9? You get more BANG for your buck, pun intended
    And even more recoil /muzzle-flash to go with it, all for little to no gain in effect on target, assuming u even manage to hit him/her. (9mm from barrels that short...it's like taking a Yugo, and swapping the motor for the one on your weed-whacker- going from bad to worse).

As for triggers on these little beasties- get some snap-caps, and just practice the heck out of dry-firing with that trigger. Save ya a ton on ammo spent practicing, and can do so when you cant get to a range. You;ll have it mastered in no-time-flat.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

I like my LCP ...

Totally concealable and, as others have said, a bit snappy. Still, once you are used to it (through adequate and regular range practice) you know what to expect. Load it with the correct ammo -- I use Speer Gold Dots based on recommendations from some 1811s that I respect -- and it's powerful enough to stop the threat. I did modify mine by adding the CT Laser, and it punches holes right where the red dot shows up on the target.

Also as others have said in this and other threads, carrying a properly loaded .380 is a lot more useful than the .45 left home in the gunsafe because it's too big to carry or conceal. It's with me even when I *do* OC, just as a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    And even more recoil /muzzle-flash to go with it, all for little to no gain in effect on target, assuming u even manage to hit him/her. .
    I don't wish for this thread to degrade to a caliber debate, but seriously dude, common sense needs to prevail here. You're calling the potential of hundreds of FPS difference and an increase of as much as 50% of bullet weight "little to no gain". That is just a bit wacky.

No, it's just plan, what it boils down to. Not much benefit gained (from pistols/barrels of that size) to counter-balance the gain in muzzle-flash/recoil.
    In practical terms, having to actually pull and use the thing under duress, especially if it's his gf that's going to use it, would you rather she have something that's not going to blind and deafen her, and permit her a better chance of 2nd or 3rd follow-up shots that might actually hit? Or? ..
    Now add darkness to the situation, which is entirely likely in most street shootings, and multiply the problem times 10.

Need any proof of this? Take that LC9 outside tonite and touch-off a round or two, all the better if you have a .380 handy to touch off before or after to compare it to. You WILL see the differences I speak of. And it can make a difference for an inexperienced /less experienced shooter.

When the smelly stuff hits the fan, I really doubt she's going to be debating ballistics/chamber pressures (much higher in 9mm vs. .380) powder burn-rates, or bullet-weights. But she sure WILL feel/see/hear the effects, if she makes the wrong choice.

Who said anything about his girlfriend using it? OP asked for pros and cons of the LCP for CC. If all he wants is a tiny pocket pistol then sure get an LCP (although i'd still recommend 9mm, say a Kahr Arms CM9). Its hard to tell what exactly he wants because his question was about as vague as it gets, since to some people a good CC is a deringer and some people CC a govt 1911.

OP, if you are following this thread please give us a better idea of what you are looking for, what role you want to fill with the LCP.
    Last edited by twpetry; 07-31-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: grammatical

Who said anything about his girlfriend using it? OP asked for pros and cons of the LCP for CC. If all he wants is a tiny pocket pistol then sure get an LCP (although i'd still recommend 9mm, say a Kahr Arms CM9). Its hard to tell what exactly he wants because his question was about as vague as it gets, since to some people a good CC is a deringer and some people CC a govt 1911.

OP, if you are following this thread please give us a better idea of what you are looking for, what role you want to fill with the LCP.
    I was referring to Steeler's post, where in he mentioned a GF being interested in getting one- but the concept applies all-around.

No, it's just plan, what it boils down to. Not much benefit gained (from pistols/barrels of that size) to counter-balance the gain in muzzle-flash/recoil.
    In practical terms, having to actually pull and use the thing under duress, especially if it's his gf that's going to use it, would you rather she have something that's not going to blind and deafen her, and permit her a better chance of 2nd or 3rd follow-up shots that might actually hit? Or? ..
    Now add darkness to the situation, which is entirely likely in most street shootings, and multiply the problem times 10.

Need any proof of this? Take that LC9 outside tonite and touch-off a round or two, all the better if you have a .380 handy to touch off before or after to compare it to. You WILL see the differences I speak of. And it can make a difference for an inexperienced /less experienced shooter.

When the smelly stuff hits the fan, I really doubt she's going to be debating ballistics/chamber pressures (much higher in 9mm vs. .380) powder burn-rates, or bullet-weights. But she sure WILL feel/see/hear the effects, if she makes the wrong choice.
    True. My concern is if she buys it and then shoots and decides shes afraid of the recoil or doesn't like the recoil she won't practice with it ever.

S&W M&P Shield. 9mm. Accurate, small, reliable,very little recoil, between 375.00 and 400.00., have heard nothing but praise about this gun. Great reviews on Youtube. Just my .02

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...&content=11001
    Last edited by hjmoosejaw; 08-01-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by hjmoosejaw View Post
    S&W M&P Shield. 9mm. Accurate, small, reliable,very little recoil, between 375.00 and 400.00., have heard nothing but praise about this gun. Great reviews on Youtube. Just my .02

While on a trip recently, ran into a LEO for one township or other in Alabama when I stopped for gas. Noted he was packing an M&P, asked what he thought of it..He wasnt too pleased. Said he kept having to send it back to his armorer for one issue or other....maybe just that pistol, or whatever but..didnt seem to provide him much confidence on it..

While on a trip recently, ran into a LEO for one township or other in Alabama when I stopped for gas. Noted he was packing an M&P, asked what he thought of it..He wasnt too pleased. Said he kept having to send it back to his armorer for one issue or other....maybe just that pistol, or whatever but..didnt seem to provide him much confidence on it..
    Wow you talked to one person who had problems with his gun, by internet logic that must mean they ALL are crap

Quote Originally Posted by hjmoosejaw View Post

I have the S&W M&P 9C - bought it right before the Shield came out - I like it a lot.

Wow you talked to one person who had problems with his gun, by internet logic that must mean they ALL are crap
    Always good to see that kids these days develop such excellent reading-comprehension skills... try READING the entire sentence, rather than just zeroing in on ONE part.

".maybe just that pistol, or whatever but."

Always good to see that kids these days develop such excellent reading-comprehension skills... try READING the entire sentence, rather than just zeroing in on ONE part.
    Your statement was obviously meant to show that you feel that gun, which someone else suggested, is of lower quality, and saying:
    ....maybe just that pistol, or whatever but..
    doesn't change what you were saying. The simple fact is, if you want to find one example of a certain model of gun having issues you can, but it doesn't mean they all are like that. Statements like the one you made are not only worthless to this discussion but they are dangerous in that this is how internet rumors get started and are circulated.

I'm still waiting for the OP to chime in here, looks like this is his only post, and he hasn't been on for a few days. That's a shame since if he could tell us what he wants it would bring this thread back on track.
    Last edited by twpetry; 08-02-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast