• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger LCP .380

j4l

S&W M&P Shield. 9mm. Accurate, small, reliable,very little recoil, between 375.00 and 400.00., have heard nothing but praise about this gun. Great reviews on Youtube. Just my .02

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...storeId=750001&catalogId=750051&content=11001

While on a trip recently, ran into a LEO for one township or other in Alabama when I stopped for gas. Noted he was packing an M&P, asked what he thought of it..He wasnt too pleased. Said he kept having to send it back to his armorer for one issue or other....maybe just that pistol, or whatever but..didnt seem to provide him much confidence on it..

twpetry

While on a trip recently, ran into a LEO for one township or other in Alabama when I stopped for gas. Noted he was packing an M&P, asked what he thought of it..He wasnt too pleased. Said he kept having to send it back to his armorer for one issue or other....maybe just that pistol, or whatever but..didnt seem to provide him much confidence on it..

Wow you talked to one person who had problems with his gun, by internet logic that must mean they ALL are crap :banghead:

Steeler-gal

S&W M&P Shield. 9mm. Accurate, small, reliable,very little recoil, between 375.00 and 400.00., have heard nothing but praise about this gun. Great reviews on Youtube. Just my .02

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...storeId=750001&catalogId=750051&content=11001

I have the S&W M&P 9C - bought it right before the Shield came out :banghead: - I like it a lot.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

j4l

Wow you talked to one person who had problems with his gun, by internet logic that must mean they ALL are crap :banghead:

Always good to see that kids these days develop such excellent reading-comprehension skills... :banghead: try READING the entire sentence, rather than just zeroing in on ONE part.

".maybe just that pistol, or whatever but."

twpetry

Always good to see that kids these days develop such excellent reading-comprehension skills... try READING the entire sentence, rather than just zeroing in on ONE part.

Your statement was obviously meant to show that you feel that gun, which someone else suggested, is of lower quality, and saying:
....maybe just that pistol, or whatever but..

doesn't change what you were saying. The simple fact is, if you want to find one example of a certain model of gun having issues you can, but it doesn't mean they all are like that. Statements like the one you made are not only worthless to this discussion but they are dangerous in that this is how internet rumors get started and are circulated.

I'm still waiting for the OP to chime in here, looks like this is his only post, and he hasn't been on for a few days. That's a shame since if he could tell us what he wants it would bring this thread back on track.

Last edited:

AuDust

I wanted to thank all of you for your input. My other handguns were not lugable
without elaborate holsters, so size was my ultimate goal. The LCP caught my
eye in an add in the American Hunter but I opted for the Smith & Wesson
"Body Guard" .380 with the Insight Laser once I had the two in my hand to compare.
My 9mm, .40, and .357 are great at the range or in my vehicle Seat Carry, but the .380
is perfect for putting in my pocket and not worrying about the bulge telegraphing
I'm packing.

Au Dust

wolfgangmob

I would rather go for the Kel-Tec P3AT, cheaper, been around longer, and can manage to feed ALL .380 ammo (the LCP has a magazine that's a little too short for all round to fit well). Almost ALL pocket .380's are known to have jamming and feeding issues so just because the LCP likes an ammo the P3AT doesn't mean the inverse couldn't be true so you'll need to test multiple brands of ammo with either gun.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My problem with the P3AT and the LCP is two-fold.

One the gun is so light, the recoil is snappy. But, let me be precise. The recoil is by no means uncomfortable. The problem is the gun jumps around in my hand enough that I can't get four shots off without having to reposition it in my hand. Part of this is that the darn things are so small, you can't really get a good grip on them with average size hands. That is to say I do not have big hands, and I can't get a solid grip on the durn things.

Second is the front of the trigger guard. Because the guns can jump a lot, the durn trigger guard regularly smacks my trigger finger on recoil. I can avoid it by using just the tip of my finger, but the trigger pull is just that little bit too much for that to go smoothly for me.

I wouldn't make one of these my regular carry gun unless I had small hands that could really get a grip on it. Its a question of practice, and suffering the problems I described above during regular practice. I might get one for occasional deep concealment carry, but that would be about all.

For everyday regular CC, I'd look to something I could at least get a good grip on.

Last edited: