• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger LCP .380

Burns

I have one, IMO best pocket pistol ever made. Extremely reliable. The only con for some people is the size, but with the mag extension that comes with the lcp+spare mags you can get a good comfortable grip on it. It's not a "range gun" by any means, but for SD it is perfect. I would definitely recommend it.

Davy Sprocket

I have one too. It is really nice for pocket carry. There is a lot of recoil since it's a lightweight gun. The trigger pull takes some time to get used to. It is really long and heavy, but it's nice not having to use a safety. Overall it's not too bad of a little gun.

The Wolfhound

As the others have said...

It is a great CC pistol as it hides anywhere. It's recoil is a bit on the nasty side for continued shooting. By 50 rounds at the range we are ready to shoot something more pleasant like my .45 or the wife's .40S&W. We shoot it enough to maintain competence.

Steeler-gal

How's the recoil? I have a GF who's thinking of buying one for her first pistol. None of the ranges have one we can rent so she can try it out. I'm concerned as a noob she'll end up being afraid of her gun instead of enjoying it.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Burns

How's the recoil? I have a GF who's thinking of buying one for her first pistol. None of the ranges have one we can rent so she can try it out. I'm concerned as a noob she'll end up being afraid of her gun instead of enjoying it.

Like others have said, it's pretty snappy because of its size... it's not a gun that's enjoyable to shoot, but for self defense you really won't notice the recoil. There are some grips you can buy for it online tho, which makes the recoil more manageable.

My wife also says it's "cute" :banghead:

Last edited:

Steeler-gal

Like others have said, it's pretty snappy because of its size... it's not a gun that's enjoyable to shoot, but for self defense you really won't notice the recoil. There are some grips you can buy for it online tho, which makes the recoil more manageable.

My wife also says it's "cute" :banghead:

Thanks. I'm going to research the grips.
My GF won't say it but I have a feeling the cuteness factor is part of why she wants this make/model. :banghead:

Burns

Thanks. I'm going to research the grips.
My GF won't say it but I have a feeling the cuteness factor is part of why she wants this make/model. :banghead:

This is the one that was recommended to me. Haven't gotten around to getting one yet tho.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=666_692&products_id=7331

Someone else also suggested the LC9, it's not a pocket carry pistol, but if you want something that would be easier to shoot at the range it's another good choice. It's about $50 more than the lcp, so around $350. Either way, both are good choices.

Michigander

Fairly nasty trigger, nasty recoil, and yet low power. Not the sort of gun I'd suggest to a first time pistol buyer. In real life shooting situations, I'd think it good for nothing more than hip firing and point shooting out to 10-15 feet, depending on the shooters skill level, and that goes for just about any Kel Tec or knock off design. And that's if you know what you're doing. In my opinion, it's a gun for an expert on a budget, and one who can't manage to conceal a pocket 9mm.

With a brand new shooter, such guns can be good at instilling a lack of confidence, and a desire to not practice. And for some reason, a lot of women gravitate towards them, or get them pushed on them by friends/family/gun salesmen. If after test firing someone wants it as a first gun, that's one thing, but it definitely isn't the sort of gun I'd think a first timer should buy based on advice or impulse alone.

Burns

Fairly nasty trigger, nasty recoil, and yet low power. Not the sort of gun I'd suggest to a first time pistol buyer. In real life shooting situations, I'd think it good for nothing more than hip firing and point shooting out to 10-15 feet, depending on the shooters skill level, and that goes for just about any Kel Tec or knock off design. And that's if you know what you're doing. In my opinion, it's a gun for an expert on a budget, and one who can't manage to conceal a pocket 9mm.

With a brand new shooter, such guns can be good at instilling a lack of confidence, and a desire to not practice. And for some reason, a lot of women gravitate towards them, or get them pushed on them by friends/family/gun salesmen. If after test firing someone wants it as a first gun, that's one thing, but it definitely isn't the sort of gun I'd think a first timer should buy based on advice or impulse alone.

It's not really that bad, but the gun you carry with you every day does a lot more than the gun you leave at home because of it being too uncomfortable to carry. You're right it's really a point shoot gun, even tho it is very capable of shooting pretty long range, but most SD situations are within the 10-15 feet you mentioned, or less.

Michigander

It's not really that bad, but the gun you carry with you every day does a lot more than the gun you leave at home because of it being too uncomfortable to carry. You're right it's really a point shoot gun, even tho it is very capable of shooting pretty long range, but most SD situations are within the 10-15 feet you mentioned, or less.

I agree with everything you said, but would add that if this category of gun must be chosen as a first gun, that it should be easier to shoot. Kahr comes to mind, and maybe just maybe Sig P238's if a staunch commitment can be made to practicing frequently with the thumb safety.

The reason why these hard recoiling guns with bad triggers aren't suitable for long range shooting in a fight, is that it takes too long. Interfacing your hand(s) and arm(s) to the sight while pulling that long and hard trigger back and when recovering from recoil between shots, is much more difficult than gripping the gun almost as tightly as you can, pointing it at your target, and blasting away. But this has its limitations at 10-15 feet, and past that accurate shots get slow as can be, at which point it ceases to have a lot of value in a real fight. Simply put, I don't think they are good guns to use to fight at any distance where sights come in to use. And thus, I don't think they are very suitable for a first timer.

Anyone else may have the proverbial varying mileage...

Last edited:

j4l

Not trying to start an argument here, but have you considered the LC9? You get more BANG for your buck, pun intended :p

And even more recoil /muzzle-flash to go with it, all for little to no gain in effect on target, assuming u even manage to hit him/her. (9mm from barrels that short...it's like taking a Yugo, and swapping the motor for the one on your weed-whacker- going from bad to worse).:rolleyes:

As for triggers on these little beasties- get some snap-caps, and just practice the heck out of dry-firing with that trigger. Save ya a ton on ammo spent practicing, and can do so when you cant get to a range. You;ll have it mastered in no-time-flat.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I like my LCP ...

Totally concealable and, as others have said, a bit snappy. Still, once you are used to it (through adequate and regular range practice) you know what to expect. Load it with the correct ammo -- I use Speer Gold Dots based on recommendations from some 1811s that I respect -- and it's powerful enough to stop the threat. I did modify mine by adding the CT Laser, and it punches holes right where the red dot shows up on the target.

Also as others have said in this and other threads, carrying a properly loaded .380 is a lot more useful than the .45 left home in the gunsafe because it's too big to carry or conceal. It's with me even when I *do* OC, just as a BUG.

Michigander

And even more recoil /muzzle-flash to go with it, all for little to no gain in effect on target, assuming u even manage to hit him/her. .

I don't wish for this thread to degrade to a caliber debate, but seriously dude, common sense needs to prevail here. You're calling the potential of hundreds of FPS difference and an increase of as much as 50% of bullet weight "little to no gain". That is just a bit wacky.

j4l

No, it's just plan, what it boils down to. Not much benefit gained (from pistols/barrels of that size) to counter-balance the gain in muzzle-flash/recoil.
In practical terms, having to actually pull and use the thing under duress, especially if it's his gf that's going to use it, would you rather she have something that's not going to blind and deafen her, and permit her a better chance of 2nd or 3rd follow-up shots that might actually hit? Or? ..
Now add darkness to the situation, which is entirely likely in most street shootings, and multiply the problem times 10.

Need any proof of this? Take that LC9 outside tonite and touch-off a round or two, all the better if you have a .380 handy to touch off before or after to compare it to. You WILL see the differences I speak of. And it can make a difference for an inexperienced /less experienced shooter.

When the smelly stuff hits the fan, I really doubt she's going to be debating ballistics/chamber pressures (much higher in 9mm vs. .380) powder burn-rates, or bullet-weights. But she sure WILL feel/see/hear the effects, if she makes the wrong choice.

twpetry

Who said anything about his girlfriend using it? OP asked for pros and cons of the LCP for CC. If all he wants is a tiny pocket pistol then sure get an LCP (although i'd still recommend 9mm, say a Kahr Arms CM9). Its hard to tell what exactly he wants because his question was about as vague as it gets, since to some people a good CC is a deringer and some people CC a govt 1911.

OP, if you are following this thread please give us a better idea of what you are looking for, what role you want to fill with the LCP.

Last edited:

j4l

Who said anything about his girlfriend using it? OP asked for pros and cons of the LCP for CC. If all he wants is a tiny pocket pistol then sure get an LCP (although i'd still recommend 9mm, say a Kahr Arms CM9). Its hard to tell what exactly he wants because his question was about as vague as it gets, since to some people a good CC is a deringer and some people CC a govt 1911.

OP, if you are following this thread please give us a better idea of what you are looking for, what role you want to fill with the LCP.

I was referring to Steeler's post, where in he mentioned a GF being interested in getting one- but the concept applies all-around.

Steeler-gal

No, it's just plan, what it boils down to. Not much benefit gained (from pistols/barrels of that size) to counter-balance the gain in muzzle-flash/recoil.
In practical terms, having to actually pull and use the thing under duress, especially if it's his gf that's going to use it, would you rather she have something that's not going to blind and deafen her, and permit her a better chance of 2nd or 3rd follow-up shots that might actually hit? Or? ..
Now add darkness to the situation, which is entirely likely in most street shootings, and multiply the problem times 10.

Need any proof of this? Take that LC9 outside tonite and touch-off a round or two, all the better if you have a .380 handy to touch off before or after to compare it to. You WILL see the differences I speak of. And it can make a difference for an inexperienced /less experienced shooter.

When the smelly stuff hits the fan, I really doubt she's going to be debating ballistics/chamber pressures (much higher in 9mm vs. .380) powder burn-rates, or bullet-weights. But she sure WILL feel/see/hear the effects, if she makes the wrong choice.

True. My concern is if she buys it and then shoots and decides shes afraid of the recoil or doesn't like the recoil she won't practice with it ever.