• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My "Business Ethics" course paper on "gun free" zones (post Aurora, format edited)

jfrey123

I like the overall feel and tone of the paper, but I will say I wasn't crazy about the (malls "typically" prohibit firearms) listed behind the mall shootings. I feel if you're going to list incidents where our right to carry affected our ability to defend ourselves, you should probably clearly state whether or not the policy was in place or not, or whether or not the private policy had weight of law behind it. The "typically" part loses the effect for me.

We-the-People

I like the overall feel and tone of the paper, but I will say I wasn't crazy about the (malls "typically" prohibit firearms) listed behind the mall shootings. I feel if you're going to list incidents where our right to carry affected our ability to defend ourselves, you should probably clearly state whether or not the policy was in place or not, or whether or not the private policy had weight of law behind it. The "typically" part loses the effect for me.

I understand what you're saying about the "typically" thing. But without the benefit of a long research lead time (I had one day from assignment to turn in), I was unable to find sources as to whether or not each specific mall had a no gun policy. Were I to not have that time restriction, I would spend more time researching articles on the individual incidents instead of relying only on the second/third hand reports of two news outlets "recaps" of past shootings. I'm also pretty sure there were a lot of incidents not listed in their lists.

My full on reseach papers usually have as many pages of reference material as there are pages of discussion as well as having a lot of in text citations where each and every statement is made.

Alas, I'm not impressed with "higher education".

REALteach4u

How about this for a card.

GUN FREE ZONES

• Oct 16, 1991: Luby’s café, Killeen TX, 23 dead plus shooter (TX law prohibited firearms in the café)
• March 24, 1998: Jonesboro Middle School, AR 5 dead, 10 wounded (gun free zone)
• Apr 20, 1999 : Columbine HS, Littleton CO, 13 dead plus 2 shooters, 23 wounded (gun free zone)
• July 29, 1999: Atlanta GA, 9 dead plus shooter
• Mar 12, 2005: Brookfield Sheraton, Brookfield WI, 7 dead plus shooter, 4 wounded
• Mar 21, 2005: Red Lake HS, MN, 7 dead + shooter, 7 wounded (+2 others off school) (gun free zone)
• Oct 2, 2006: West Nickel Mines School, PA, 5 dead plus shooter (gun free zone)
• Feb 12, 2007: Tolley Square Mall, Salt Lake City UT, 5 dead +shooter, 4 wounded*
(malls typically prohibit firearms)
• Apr 16, 2007: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg VA, 32 dead plus shooter (college was a gun free zone)
• Dec 5, 2007: Westroads Mall, Omaha NE, 8 dead +shooter, 5 wounded*
(malls typically prohibit firearms)
• Feb 14, 2008: Northern IL University, 5 dead plus shooter, 18 wounded*
(Illinois does not allow citizen carry of firearms)
• March 10, 2009: Kinston AL, 10 plus shooter dead
• Apr 3, 2009: Binghamton NY, 13 plus shooter dead, 4 injured
• Nov 5, 2009: Fort Hood TX, 13 dead, 32 injured*
(military bases prohibit being armed except Military Police)
• July 20, 2012: Aurora CO, 12 dead, 50 plus injured (theater is “gun free” zone)
• (Insert next GUN FREE ZONE HERE)

I'd have to carry a 3x5 index card printed on both sides!

@WTP, I have taken a business ethics class and they do appreciate proper grammar and spelling, although most do not use APA formatting like behavioral sciences does. If you have yet to take a business writing class I strongly urge you to do so. You'll find that it can change how you write a lot of papers. Honestly, I don't know why a business writing class isn't part of the gen-ed requirements to accompany the English and composition courses. It will illustrate how to avoid the negatives, how to use the "you" concept in your writing, target audiences, and so much more. I truly think you would enjoy that kind of course.

I'll put it another way. It forces you to critically critique your own work as you think then write. It also forces you to re-read your material and question items for revision, replacement, or removal.

@davidmacbeth, I brought up the fact that business and ethics is a misnomer of sorts in that, for the most part, business and ethics do not go hand in hand. As most businesses grow their ethics often become sacrificed in the exchange. I was quickly flamed by my professors on the matter. Since I had a CJ Master's it was easy for me to produce white collar crime statistics to post on Blackboard for the entire class to see with the statement, "This is the Show-Me State. I've shown you the statistics, now you show me something to refute them." Talk about a fast way to fan the flames! I was surprised that I didn't immediately earn a failing grade along with being kicked out of the course. Instead, my grades continued based on my work and I finished with an "A".

Last edited:

rushcreek2

This was an excellent composition, We-The-People.

I don't understand the nit-picking, but that's beside the point as for as I'm concerned you evidenced a thorough grasp of the fundamental elements comprising this GFZ issue, and you proceeded to articulate your real world logic extremely well, and you deserved the 100 percent grade.

Although I would not personnaly OC in a theater , I also would not enter one unarmed. I would most definitely OC while crossing the parking lot coming and going. Parking lots are the primary danger zone for predatory threats.

Ironbar

This was an excellent composition, We-The-People.

I don't understand the nit-picking, but that's beside the point as for as I'm concerned you evidenced a thorough grasp of the fundamental elements comprising this GFZ issue, and you proceeded to articulate your real world logic extremely well, and you deserved the 100 percent grade.

Although I would not personnaly OC in a theater , I also would not enter one unarmed. I would most definitely OC while crossing the parking lot coming and going. Parking lots are the primary danger zone for predatory threats.

I guess I'll remain the lone dissenting opinion then. No, it was not an excellent composition. It was a poorly written composition not only due to grammatical errors, but it's also filled with faulty logic. As hard as this essay tries to prove otherwise, 2 + 2 still does not equal five.

Smith45acp

WTP,

Since I know you generally don't like me, I'm going to refrain from pointing out all the grammatical and logic errors in your essay. But I will at least say, there's lots of them.

Cheers.

"There's lots of them" "grammatical and logic errors"

Even when this was your only post in the thread, I thought you were being a poor sport. But then I read the other THREE jabs you couldn't refrain from adding.

You might as well have proofread the entire paper for him. That would have been better than repeated and nonspecific criticism all the while including your own poor grammar.

Rule #1 to being a grammar Nazi - Ensure your own grammar is tidy.