Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Gun at 'Batman' causes stir

OC Gun at 'Batman' causes stir

http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/f...e=most_popular

Cops get called when an open carrier brings a pistol to a screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" in a theater that prohibits weapons. Cops can't find him in the dark theater, so they stop the movie and ask the gun carrier to stand up.

Three men rise.

I am disappointed that the carriers acquiesced. Now, the bad guy who didn't stand up knows he has fish in a barrel.

Would you have stood up? I don't know if I would have. Depends on whether I was OC or CC I suppose. If I was OC, I would have stood up, insisted on my money back, and wished the rest of the unarmed patrons best of luck.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Morbidph8 View Post
    http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/f...e=most_popular
    and ask the gun carrier to stand up.

Three men rise.
    Now that's hilarious

No way I'd have taken my firearm out to the vehicle and gone back in to watch the movie. I'd have demanded my money back and left. When will the sheep learn that unarmed people are victims waiting for a criminal to appear?
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

If I was carrying CC I wouldn't have stood. Definitely wouldn't have left and come back that's for sure too.
    If they're policy prohibiting guns is posted, I doubt the theater would give back your money.

==========================================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    No way I'd have taken my firearm out to the vehicle and gone back in to watch the movie. I'd have demanded my money back and left. When will the sheep learn that unarmed people are victims waiting for a criminal to appear?
    I'm still drinking cuppa one and I picked up on that too. I kept waiting for the part where they gathered their families and went for the the refund and left the theater with a No Guns = No Money card.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ― Plato

Plato knew this yet today's antis still don't get it!

Join the fight for freedom
    Oathkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Expat View Post
    I'm still drinking cuppa one and I picked up on that too. I kept waiting for the part where they gathered their families and went for the the refund and left the theater with a No Guns = No Money card.
    Hey, can you provide a reliable source for your "signature"? The two lambs thing. I believe that it's misattributed but would love to find a reliable source that showed Franklin (or any other founding father) said that. Unfortunately, I've found a lot of quotes that were never said by the sources they're routinely attributed to.
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Employee was a numpty, he should have told the OCer before he entered the theater instead of the drama. The theater owner is a numpty also for not posting a clear sign at the entrance and certainly at the ticket booth. I would have demanded a refund also. I don't do any business in malls because of the same signage problems. I hate malls anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbidph8 View Post
    [url]

Three men rise.
    But which one was the real Batman?

Should have had the person who called also stand up!

Refunds for sure...

IANAL

I would have demanded refunds for the tickets AND any refreshments, finished or not. (it's part of the "whole experience")

If you walk up to the theater ticket window clearly OC, and the agent sells you a ticket...they have obligated the theater to allow OC, regardless of the signage. "Notice to Agent is Notice to Principal". It is the theater's responsibility to properly train their employees.

Who cares what the "rules" that may or may not be posted...if they sold a ticket to a person who is clearly not in conformance with the "rules" then they must be allowing an exception to those rules...this is simple contract law. You did not accept one of the restrictions, and they accepted your rejection by accepting your money.

At very minimum, I would have "suggested" to the movie manager that if they wanted me to disarm, I want a discount...you would be surprised how many times they agree.

Anyway...it is funny that more than the one person was armed, but kinda sad that they all chose to disarm and return.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

The theater in Aurora, CO was also posted "no firearms." So you're saying all they had to do was politely inform Holmes that his weapons were not allowed and the whole tragedy would have been avoided? Oh, I get it, what we really need is a sign on the door to remind people that murder is not allowed inside.

So obviously, we need to post signs telling people all the things that they can't do, You can't kill people here, you cant touch kids, you can't fist small animals...
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 07-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Nevada Campus Carry: The Movement Continues
    http://nvcampuscarry.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Anyway...it is funny that more than the one person was armed, but kinda sad that they all chose to disarm and return.
    Are you sure they ALL stood up? After what happened in Aurora I'd be surprised if there weren't more "smart" CCers in the audience. Heck, if I was CC and saw someone starting to stand up after the announcement, I would not have moved.
    Beretta92FSLady

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    The theater in Aurora, CO was also posted "no firearms." So you're saying all they had to do was politely inform Holmes that his weapons were not allowed and the whole tragedy would have been avoided? Oh, I get it, what we really need is a sign on the door to remind people that murder is not allowed inside.

So obviously, we need to post signs telling people all the things that they can't do, You can't kill people here, you cant touch kids, you can't fist small animals...
    I support their right to disarm people if they want on their property but they better well protect them and be 100% responsiable for their safety. If you take my right to defend myself away from me and don't protect me be prepared to have a new boss because I will own your company in the end.

....two dudes CCing at the movie, the lights come up, the cops 'request' and the two dudes flip a coin.....loser has to stand up.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    Are you sure they ALL stood up? After what happened in Aurora I'd be surprised if there weren't more "smart" CCers in the audience. Heck, if I was CC and saw someone starting to stand up after the announcement, I would not have moved.
    Sorry...might have been unclear...it is sad that the 3 who stood up, all chose to disarm quietly and return. I sincerely hope there were quite a few others that wisely chose to remain silent.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    I support their right to disarm people if they want on their property but they better well protect them and be 100% responsiable for their safety. If you take my right to defend myself away from me and don't protect me be prepared to have a new boss because I will own your company in the end.
    I was just thinking the same thing. They prohibited all of those people from defending themselves against an attacker while on their property, so they should be held responsible for the damages. If a burglar can manage to sue a homeowner for injuries suffered from being cut by glass while they were breaking in to their home, I don't see how that would be an issue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    ? Oh, I get it, what we really need is a sign on the door to remind people that murder is not allowed inside.
    YES that's the mistake .. they have a sign saying no guns, not "no murders", maybe just a typo at the printer

there, problems solved, just change the signs to read "no murders or murderers or potential murderers or people with murderous thoughts allowed" people who do not obey this sign will be asked to leave & no refund will be provided
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 07-30-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added no refund

I wonder if the police checked to see of they were unarmed or if they just assumed that they unarmed and came back in?

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post
    I wonder if the police checked to see of they were unarmed or if they just assumed that they unarmed and came back in?

I can't believe people allow their rights to be taken based on what seems to be a mandatory request. If I was carrying concealed I would have stayed in my seat. If I was OCing I would have stood up only if they stated that management did not want me carrying, because if managment did not ask that the OCer leave, then they could not have charged the OCer with Criminal Trespass here in KY. Simply walking into a theater and asking the man that is armed to stand up is not a lawful command. They do not have RAS unless management asked to have him removed.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

can you imagine if this would have happened just before the BG from the CO theater shooting started.

The headline would have read "Cops come in and disarm three law-abiding citizens and make it possiable for a gunman to kill 12 and and wound 70".

Stupid to disarm the three people in the theater that could have prevented (maybe not all) but the majority of those killed and injured. I know this isn't what happened but if a killer knew there where armed people in the theater he might have thought twice about it and picked a softer target like a school or hospital....you know any place they ban firearms.

And now, any copy cat will know he just has to say "I saw a guy with a gun in the theater" and the cops will come remove anyone that would have been able to offer resistance.
    Beretta92FSLady

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I wonder if the police checked to see if anyone was illegally carrying concealed.
    They should have asked...

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    They should have asked...
    "...will all the bad guys please stand up..."

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    "...will all the bad guys please stand up..."
    Ever here of the bad guy that reported his pot stolen? Ya never know one of them might have stood up.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I wonder if the police checked to see if anyone was illegally carrying concealed.
    Again, without Probale Cause they can't search you. They must have some sort of evidence to support a search. They can't just walk into a theater and start searching people.

Edit: Unless of course you give up your 4th Amendment right like the ones who were carrying concealed. If a cop asks to search you, you do not have to comply. If they have RAS for a stop and PC for a search only then can they search you without your permission.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 07-30-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast