• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Gun at 'Batman' causes stir

DocWalker

can you imagine if this would have happened just before the BG from the CO theater shooting started.

The headline would have read "Cops come in and disarm three law-abiding citizens and make it possiable for a gunman to kill 12 and and wound 70".

Stupid to disarm the three people in the theater that could have prevented (maybe not all) but the majority of those killed and injured. I know this isn't what happened but if a killer knew there where armed people in the theater he might have thought twice about it and picked a softer target like a school or hospital....you know any place they ban firearms.

We-the-People

And now, any copy cat will know he just has to say "I saw a guy with a gun in the theater" and the cops will come remove anyone that would have been able to offer resistance.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I wonder if the police checked to see if anyone was illegally carrying concealed.

Again, without Probale Cause they can't search you. They must have some sort of evidence to support a search. They can't just walk into a theater and start searching people.

Edit: Unless of course you give up your 4th Amendment right like the ones who were carrying concealed. If a cop asks to search you, you do not have to comply. If they have RAS for a stop and PC for a search only then can they search you without your permission.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Again, without Probale Cause they can't search you. They must have some sort of evidence to support a search. They can't just walk into a theater and start searching people.

Edit: Unless of course you give up your 4th Amendment right like the ones who were carrying concealed. If a cop asks to search you, you do not have to comply unless you are being detained under suspicion of committing a crime and they had RAS for the stop and PC for the search.

:) (*thumbs up*) Just remember...the general background noise in the theater would be something like "... bahhhh baaahhhhh..."

We-the-People

Edit: Unless of course you give up your 4th Amendment right like the ones who were carrying concealed. If a cop asks to search you, you do not have to comply unless you are being detained under suspicion of committing a crime and they had RAS for the stop and PC for the search.

While PC is needed for a search, they only need RAS for a pat down which should be sufficient to find the weapon. Still, they wouldn't have it (RAS) in the scenario under discussion.

carolina guy

While PC is needed for a search, they only need RAS for a pat down which should be sufficient to find the weapon. Still, they wouldn't have it (RAS) in the scenario under discussion.

"Yes, your honor, our RAS was that someone might have broken a theater policy...so we took the whole crowd down!"

DocWalker

So this is legal then?

Judge: "Officer why did you stop the bus and search everyone"?

Officer: "I thought somone was going commando (not wearing underwear) so I stopped the bus and did a pat down on all 33 passangers".

Judge: "did you find the person going commando"?

Officer: "No but I did find 4 pounds of pot, 3 guns, and a Mickey Manttle baseball card.

Judge: "ALL CHARGES STAND...IT WAS A GOOD CLEAN SEARCH".

carolina guy

So this is legal then?

Judge: "Officer why did you stop the bus and search everyone"?

Officer: "I thought somone was going commando (not wearing underwear) so I stopped the bus and did a pat down on all 33 passangers".

Judge: "did you find the person going commando"?

Officer: "No but I did find 4 pounds of pot, 3 guns, and a Mickey Manttle baseball card.

Judge: "ALL CHARGES STAND...IT WAS A GOOD CLEAN SEARCH".

Only if either going commando (with pants on) or violating a company policy is actually illegal. Otherwise, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. :)

DocWalker

Only if either going commando (with pants on) or violating a company policy is actually illegal. Otherwise, it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. :)

It was sarasim, with the way of thinking the officer could say he stopped and searched a crowd of people for any made up reason and anything he finds even if not related to the origional reason for the pat down then it would still count toward an arrest.

carolina guy

I wonder if the police checked to see of they were unarmed or if they just assumed that they unarmed and came back in?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Good question!

since9

Campaign Veteran

ALOC1911

If I was carrying CC I wouldn't have stood. Definitely wouldn't have left and come back that's for sure too.
If they're policy prohibiting guns is posted, I doubt the theater would give back your money.

Then they shouldn't have taken it in the first place.

sharkey

The theater in Aurora, CO was also posted "no firearms." So you're saying all they had to do was politely inform Holmes that his weapons were not allowed and the whole tragedy would have been avoided? Oh, I get it, what we really need is a sign on the door to remind people that murder is not allowed inside.

So obviously, we need to post signs telling people all the things that they can't do, You can't kill people here, you cant touch kids, you can't fist small animals...

saaaaaaay what? :eek:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can't believe the insensitivity going on in this country.

A man calmly executes people in a crowded Batman theater with guns, and yet people are so stuck up on their rights that they are ...

still showing the Batman movie at theaters nationwide. Have they no shame?