• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested in Thorton for open carrying in Cine-bar movie theater

O2HeN2

Hey all! I've been away for awhile as I had to sell my gun for financial reasons. Just getting back into the swing of it and I saw this story over on the AR-15 forums. I really can't believe that many people who are for gun rights have that much hatred for OC. Check it out for yourselves...

http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthread.php?t=58664
Yhea, and I poked the hornet's nest, so if any of you are willing to give me a hand... :)

O2

M

McX

you ever notice how the 'fringe' has a problem with the 'shall not be infringed' part.

mahkagari

"Warning! A fine of up to $1,000.00 and imprisonment up to one year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possessing any prohibited, or dangerous weapon, including knives with over 3½-inch blades, into or onto any liquor or beer licensed premises."

It would be a legitimate defense if the theater was not properly marked with the prescribed signage.

Key word "prohibited". IANAL, but an OC'd firearm for legitimate self-defense is not listed anywhere as a prohibited or dangerous weapon. Moreover, he had a permit which makes possessing his firearm FAR from "prohibited".

"Once theater managers learned of the gun, they quickly evacuated several theaters in the building. About 30 people were affected."

30 people in "several" theaters? Slow business.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

The comments on kdvr.com are getting heated.

I smell a lawsuit cookin' up!

Yep.. and I finally have my appt to apply for my carry permit today lmao.. I'll OC until I get the the EPSO.. do my app, and OC all the way home.. :p

I am not getting involved in arguing with the people there who think that you need a law to be able to do something.. >.<

--Rob

Hamans-gallows

Hey everybody, I heard about this on KHOW this morning as I was driving in to work.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...sted-bringing-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater

Can someone better informed than I please comment on the specifics of what this guy did wrong? I am assuming that since the CineBar theater serves alcohol that this is where this guy tripped up with his open carry??? If so, this won't reflect well on the cause. I'm sure I and others could use clarification on any statutes that prohibit such a scenario... Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??? :confused:

He violated Thornton Municipal code. State law preempts and renders such ordinances null, void, and unenforceable.

He broke no law whatsoever.

S

scubabeme

If, as it sounds on its face, this is a preemption case, then this might be the case needed to put Denver in its place with a true decision from the state supreme court. Kinda hope he's a forum member, not merely a "lurker"--I might be convinced to chip in to help with legal expenses.

Polynikes

Interesting question for those with more info than me. What potential impact could the fact that Thornton is a home rule city have on their ability to enforce this local ordinance?

mahkagari

If, as it sounds on its face, this is a preemption case, then this might be the case needed to put Denver in its place with a true decision from the state supreme court. Kinda hope he's a forum member, not merely a "lurker"--I might be convinced to chip in to help with legal expenses.

Thing is, he did not violate any law. There's conflicting reports of what he's charged with, but most they can throw at him is carrying to "cause alarm". That's a question of intent. He's going to have some expenses either way.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It would be cool to have a standard size business card available to carry in our wallets that:

1.) Cites the Co Constitution on the right to bear arms (openly)

2.) Cites the statute regarding state preemption

If this could be feasibly fit on to a standard sized business card I'd chip in to get it done! Or has this already been done and I just haven't looked in the right place?

You folks might contact OCDO member Ed - he has done a 2-sided business card for Virginia. Contact info is:
For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Once you get the general format down you can get some decent prices from on-line places like VistaPrint.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

I'm glad you did, I was starting to feel alone in that forum. I just can't believe a bunch of 2A guys are that hostile to someone OCing...

If they are hostile towards OC they are not 2A guys. The 2A states right to bear arms, not right to conceal, though most consider conceal as part of that right. Most states disagree because they issue privilege cards. Anybody that believes CC is a right should be insulted by a privilege card.

Last edited:

Scotsman

If they are hostile towards OC they are not 2A guys. The 2A states right to bear arms, not right to conceal, though most consider conceal as part of that right. Most states disagree because they issue privilege cards. Anybody that believes CC is a right should be insulted by a privilege card.

I just spent some time over there reading through the comments and wow! While it may or may not have been in good taste depending on who you ask, it appears the guy didn't do anything illegal based upon the available information. I'm just not even sure what to think about anyone who would chastise another for doing something that is perfectly legal. I can appreciate both sides but at the end of the day this guy in Thornton didn't infringe on anyone's rights (to the best of my knowledge) and he got railroaded by "the man". In the final analysis this has the appearance of the jack-booted thugs violating this guy's right to self-defense. I hope he sues the $#(*@&# out of Thornton! :mad:

Scotsman

Interesting side note to the AR15 web site.... here is the site owner's official statement about the Aurora shooting. Now realize the owner is NOT responsible for the comments made by member but none the less it is an interesting juxtaposition to the member comments....

http://www.ar-15.co/forums/announcement.php?f=89&a=12

At least the site owner acknowledges it was a nut that killed those people and not a gun. He seems to be be very pro 2A.

Keens

Yep.. and I finally have my appt to apply for my carry permit today lmao.. I'll OC until I get the the EPSO.. do my app, and OC all the way home.. :p

I am not getting involved in arguing with the people there who think that you need a law to be able to do something.. >.<

--Rob

Yea I hear you. I'm not going to get involved in the arguments with the sheep on the news sites. It was just amazing reading what people had to say and how biased and misinformed they are. Even a majority of the folks on there who are pro-2A are misinformed. Pretty sad that a lot of Americans don't even understand gun rights.

Blessings,

Keens

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Doesn't get much clearer than this; Quote of Barnes (spokesperson for the police)........

"We are an open carry state," Barnes said. "We look at the open carry law and how it relates to this incident. He felt he was exercising his right to bear arms in an open carry state, and we are currently reviewing that with our prosecutors."