• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested in Thorton for open carrying in Cine-bar movie theater

Scotsman

Hey everybody, I heard about this on KHOW this morning as I was driving in to work.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...sted-bringing-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater

Can someone better informed than I please comment on the specifics of what this guy did wrong? I am assuming that since the CineBar theater serves alcohol that this is where this guy tripped up with his open carry??? If so, this won't reflect well on the cause. I'm sure I and others could use clarification on any statutes that prohibit such a scenario... Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??? :confused:

Polynikes

Hey everybody, I heard about this on KHOW this morning as I was driving in to work.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingn...sted-bringing-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater

Can someone better informed than I please comment on the specifics of what this guy did wrong? I am assuming that since the CineBar theater serves alcohol that this is where this guy tripped up with his open carry??? If so, this won't reflect well on the cause. I'm sure I and others could use clarification on any statutes that prohibit such a scenario... Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??? :confused:

Based on the limited info in the story, the gentleman didn't break the law. It's not against the law to carry into a theater or a venue that serves alcohol. My guess is that another patron freaked out and called the police and an officer with little understanding of the law overreacted. I smell a lawsuit on the wind.

Scotsman

Yeah, I'm kind of curious on this one myself. I am curious if he did something illegal or if someone just freaked out. I'm also curious if he was charged with anything if indeed he didn't do anything illegal. I cannot substantiate it but the radio reported that all patrons in the theater were searched for weapons as well. I see a problem with that for sure. It's smacks of the APD tactics when they held all those people at the intersection at gunpoint a couple of months ago. :uhoh:

Well, I hope the guy sues if he was within the bounds of the law when he open carried in to the theater.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Info is a bit limited, but here is what I found:

http://www.denverpost.com/dontmiss/ci_21190588/man-arrested-after-gun-brought-into-theater

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31316229/detail.html

http://kwgn.com/2012/07/30/man-arrested-for-carrying-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater/

Each of those links adds a little something to the story overall.

He was arrested on a muni code violation.
Can anybody say "Preemption"?
I anticipate the gentleman arrested is going to be quite wealthy once the suit is prosecuted.
Respondents should be the City of Thornton, and the movie theater plus their parent company.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

manveru

fox 31 is saying he was arrested because they served alcohol there, which last i knew was completely legal unless your in possession of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. the way it sounds i hope he sues the pants off them.

Scotsman

It sounds like he was arrested for something akin to "brandishing" if that last article was correct in its facts. He was carrying a gun in such a manner as to "cause alarm" according to the last article. Sounds like a crock but it also sounds like it was a convenient excuse for Thornton PD to flex their muscle. This is the kind of thing that I dread happening while OC'ing.

As for the Denver comPost article...what a bunch of jerks. I love how the last snippet of that article ties the Aurora shooter to this event. That paper isn't fit to line a litter box.

So, the next question is, "I wonder if this guy is a member of this forum?". This event has the potential to spin out of control (in a bad way) given the idiot media in this town. The one article already has comments from readers such as "this guy thinks he's Wyatt Earp", etc. :eek:

Howdy Folks!
Info is a bit limited, but here is what I found:

http://www.denverpost.com/dontmiss/ci_21190588/man-arrested-after-gun-brought-into-theater

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31316229/detail.html

http://kwgn.com/2012/07/30/man-arrested-for-carrying-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater/

Each of those links adds a little something to the story overall.

He was arrested on a muni code violation.
Can anybody say "Preemption"?
I anticipate the gentleman arrested is going to be quite wealthy once the suit is prosecuted.
Respondents should be the City of Thornton, and the movie theater plus their parent company.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

fox 31 is saying he was arrested because they served alcohol there, which last i knew was completely legal unless your in possession of a firearm while under the influence of alcohol. the way it sounds i hope he sues the pants off them.

Howdy Amigo!
Hey, good to see you posting again. Haven't seen your handle in awhile.
Anyhow....
He is being charged on a muni-code violation.
Likely as not, it will be thrown out as preempted by state law.
Once again, we see a locality trying to enforce municipal codes that are preempted by state law.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
From the Thornton municipal code;
"Sec. 38-241. - Prohibition on the open carrying of firearms.

The City of Thornton hereby prohibits the open carrying of a firearm, as defined in Section 38-237 of the Code, in any city building or in or upon any city property including but not limited to parks, open spaces or trails that exist within the City of Thornton and that have a sign posted at the entrance to any city building or city property informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in such building or area. "
Nothing about a movie theater here.

I'll have to dig and find it, but there is/ was a case that I read stating that a business that serves alcohol as a Secondary measure, such as a restaurant, movie theater, etc was not bound, above and beyond the fact that he was (assuming) not under the influence of a controlled substance or alcohol.

This is another perfect example of the uninformed reacting to an individual exercising his rights. In the end, I can only hope that he is free and clear, with the exception of lost time.

One article I read this morning said that he was carrying, and caused fear to others. Disorderly conduct?? Nope "18-9-106. Disorderly conduct.

(1) A person commits disorderly conduct if he or she intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:

(f) Not being a peace officer, displays a deadly weapon, displays any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon, or represents verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm.

(3) An offense under…(1) (f) of this section is a class 2 misdemeanor."

Menacing?? Nope "18-3-206. Menacing.

(1) A person commits the crime of menacing if, by any threat or physical action, he or she knowingly places or attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury. Menacing is a class 3 misdemeanor, but, it is a class 5 felony if committed:

(a) By the use of a deadly weapon or any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon; or

(b) By the person representing verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon."

Reckless endangerment? Nope. "18-3-208. Reckless endangerment

A person who recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious bodily injury to another person commits reckless endangerment, which is a class 3 misdemeanor."

Brandishing? Nope. Taken from Thornton municipal code 38-237-b-5

"It shall be unlawful for any person to display or flourish a dangerous weapon, firearm, air gun, bludgeon, chemical agent or slingshot in a manner calculated to alarm another person. "

Any more, its arrest now, "Protect" the uninformed, save face in the media, sort it out later, let the innocent guy go free, and never follow up with the public.

Last edited:

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran

Would the movie theater and the parent company be held accountable? As I understand it, the owner/ agent has the right to ask you to leave. Whether it be in person or cowering behind the police (as it was).

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Further digging turned up this from the Thornton municipal code, under the heading of "Thornton, Colorado, Code of Ordinances >> - CODE >> Chapter 42 - LICENSES, PERMITS AND BUSINESSES >> ARTICLE II. - ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES >> DIVISION 3. - RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS >> Part III. - Operational Rules >> "

Sec. 42-156. - Unlawful acts; signs to be posted; violations and penalties.

(d)

Each licensee shall post and keep at all times visible to the public in a conspicuous place on the premises signs furnished by the city clerk's office in the following form:

(1)

"Warning! Thornton police must be notified of all disturbances in this establishment and on the grounds which are part of this establishment."

(2)

"Warning! A fine of up to $1,000.00 and imprisonment up to one year may be levied on any person convicted of carrying or possessing any prohibited, or dangerous weapon, including knives with over 3½-inch blades, into or onto any liquor or beer licensed premises."

It would be a legitimate defense if the theater was not properly marked with the prescribed signage.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Would the movie theater and the parent company be held accountable? As I understand it, the owner/ agent has the right to ask you to leave. Whether it be in person or cowering behind the police (as it was).

Howdy Amigo!
There is no information provided to suggest the man was asked to leave. They simply panicked, evacuated the theaters, and called the cops.
No indication whatsoever he was directly approached or spoken with.

So yeah, on face of it, they would be accountable indeed.

Likely as not, they didn't even have a sign prohibiting the carry of firearms.

Noteworthy as well is the fact they keep harping on whether or not he had a CCW permit, when he was open carrying, ergo irrelevant!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Scotsman

I don't like terminology such as "display" because in my mind that is a broad term. Can your weapon be considered "displayed" simply because it's in a holster and in plain sight? I think it's vague verbiage like this that is used to abuse rights. It would be nice to see verbiage to the effect of "if a person is carrying a properly holstered weapon in plain sight on his/her waist it is not considered 'displaying' for the purposes of causing alarm". I'm certainly no legal expert but there should be some type of verbiage that exempts and protects an individual who may be exercising the right to open carry.

These vague terms are just an excuse to trample our rights. :cuss:

M-Taliesin

Further digging turned up this from the Thornton municipal code, under the heading of "Thornton, Colorado, Code of Ordinances
It would be a legitimate defense if the theater was not properly marked with the prescribed signage.

Howdy Amigo!
Irrelevant. Municipal codes are preempted under state law.
That's the bottom line. They are trying to circumvent state law preemption language.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
Howdy Amigo!
Irrelevant. Municipal codes are preempted under state law.
That's the bottom line. They are trying to circumvent state law preemption language.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Do you have a link? As you can tell from the flavor of my posts here, that I am learning the rules of the road. I'm sure that there are other in the same fog as I am.

Thanks,

Mike

M-Taliesin

Do you have a link? As you can tell from the flavor of my posts here, that I am learning the rules of the road. I'm sure that there are other in the same fog as I am.
Mike

Howdy Mike!
Here you go amigo!

CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.

29-11.7-101. Legislative declaration.
(1) The general assembly hereby finds that:
(b) Section 13 of article II of the state constitution protects the fundamental right of a person to keep and bear arms and implements section 3 of article II of the state constitution;
(d) There exists a widespread inconsistency among jurisdictions within the state with regard to firearms regulations;

(e) This inconsistency among local government laws regulating lawful firearm possession and ownership has extraterritorial impact on state citizens and the general public by subjecting them to criminal and civil penalties in some jurisdictions for conduct wholly lawful in other jurisdictions;

(f) Inconsistency among local governments of laws regulating the possession and ownership of firearms results in persons being treated differently under the law solely on the basis of where they reside, and a person's residence in a particular county or city or city and county is not a rational classification when it is the basis for denial of equal treatment under the law;
(2) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly concludes that:

(a) The regulation of firearms is a matter of statewide concern;

(b) It is necessary to provide statewide laws concerning the possession and ownership of a firearm to ensure that law-abiding persons are not unfairly placed in the position of unknowingly committing crimes involving firearms.

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.
----------------------------------------------------

So, with preemption language as it exists, I would suggest that this gentleman's rights have been violated and therefore is actionable in court.
Local ordiance or municipal codes are preempted (with the exception of city/county of Denver. Long story there, other threads already exist on that.

My personal opinion is that the city of Thornton is about to get sued the snot out of. I am not an attorney, but suspect things will go badly for Thornton, along with the folks who run that theater and their parent company.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Polynikes

Scotsman

Thanks M-T.

I'm going to print that on a business card for reference.

It would be cool to have a standard size business card available to carry in our wallets that:

1.) Cites the Co Constitution on the right to bear arms (openly)

2.) Cites the statute regarding state preemption

If this could be feasibly fit on to a standard sized business card I'd chip in to get it done! Or has this already been done and I just haven't looked in the right place?