• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What was the legislatures intent on OC?

luckyykid

Does anyone know the history of the statute regarding the permit? Mainly my question is.....do you believe that it was the intent of the legislators to specifically allow OC, or was it an oversight on their part and they inadvertantly allowed OC without necessarily meaning too?

Rich B

Our constitution guarantees our right to 'bear arms'. It makes no difference what anyone's intent was. If they had banned one form or another, it would be ripe ground for litigation.

As it stands, with all the restrictions around the practice, it is still ripe ground.

brk913

All I can tell you is that prior to 1994 you only needed a permit to carry a loaded handgun, it was perfectly OK back then to transport a handgun, pretty much anywhere at anytime, you did not need to be going to the range or any specific place. At that time you received a local permit first, then you could go for your CT permit which was pretty much just given to you if you had a town permit, just as it is now with the"temp permit" system.

I knew people back in 95-96 who knew that OC was not illegal by statute but all the "official sites" said it was (BoFPE, DPS, etc..) and all the instructors were telling their students CT was CC too, this kept pretty much everyone from even attempting such a thing as OC. I am sure the legislature was fully aware they were allowing OC by not giving us a CCW as other states have done. Plus they have had numerous opportunities to vote to make us a CC state but they have not acted on any of the proposals put forth over the last 10 years...

Last edited: