• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC - Backpacking through The Enchantments...Leavenworth

HeesBonafide

Well, I have an announcement to make....

After posting quite a few posts on this site, and sharing thoughts, concerns and also support for OC, I can FINALLY say that I am one of the few that is has stood there feeling a little exposed (and somewhat nervous) about my FIRST TIME OC'ing.

My girlfriend and I spent the weekend backpacking through the Enchantment lakes outside of Leavenworth. We had our bear spray and I also took along what I believe is the perfect firearm for the trail, the Taurus Judge (Public Defender). I wasn't going to carry it concealed, just too damn hot and I wanted it VERY accessible just in case I needed it. Also, with weight being a concern (pack was already 60+ lbs), I needed to reduce weight anyway and anywhere possible (not that the judge is light weapon), I left my wallet and ID in the car. And there just happened to be a perfect strap I could holster my weapon to right on my backpack, it was PERFECT!

I was concerned about "getting looks" and mostly everyone never even noticed....my girlfriend didn't even notice where the firearm was until about 2 hours into the hike (even though she knew I was bringing it), could have been that the holster and shirt were similar in color. I did see a couple people "notice it" and I couldn't tell if their look was of concern or pure curiosity...all good! We even came upon a park ranger who asked to see our overnight permit (required in that area), spoke with him for about 10 minutes and he never made mention of it either.

We heard some critters in the night and "something" was outside our tent Saturday night sniffing around, we surmised that it probably was a coyote or similar (too quiet to be a bear and too loud to be a mountain lion). My girlfriend felt safe and I felt relived that I didn't have to use any quips or retorts to any "what the hell is that for?" kind of responses.

Incredible views, LOTS of bugs, no incidents, came home safe!

All in All a GREAT Weekend!!

Attachments

• IMG_0842-2.jpg
    IMG_0842-2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 694
Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
See....it's really not that big of a deal. I was OC on 4th and Madison Saturday night for the Torchlight Parade. Was withing a few feet of Mayor McGinn and SPD Chief Diaz and many other officers. Nothing was said.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

carracer

Wow! 60#! How much canned food did you have to cook in your cast iron pan?

Nice carry spot! I had my wife do the same when we back packed earlier this summer. Works really well!

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Good job. I was out OC camping/hiking this weekend also. It was a nice weekend for such activities.

DocWalker

That is because you look so much like a crazy person dressed in your camping outfit with your water bottle and all....

Where is the orange hair, the crazed look on your face, eyes all over the place....you had to go and just smile and look normal.

geojohn

Also, with weight being a concern (pack was already 60+ lbs), I needed to reduce weight anyway and anywhere possible...

Yikes! What did you bring? I carried way too much my first time up there and never did that again, but was training for Rainier that year and it probably helped. But I understand that sometimes folks carry more than necessary to keep others in the party comfortable.

We heard some critters in the night and "something" was outside our tent Saturday night sniffing around, we surmised that it probably was a coyote or similar...

There are lots of goats up there, mostly at the higher elevations. Did you hear hooves?

HeesBonafide

Yikes! What did you bring? I carried way too much my first time up there and never did that again, but was training for Rainier that year and it probably helped. But I understand that sometimes folks carry more than necessary to keep others in the party comfortable.

It was a combination of carrying too much for the "just in case" and trying out a new stove design (fuel) and also carrying extra gear to keep it lighter on my girlfriend (water, tent, cooking gear, water filter (and the 4 extra filters that I didn't realize I had with me until we got to our destination)...oh, and a nice bottle of wine). had way too much food to0....could have maybe made it through winter. ;-) Way to go on climbing Rainier!

There are lots of goats up there, mostly at the higher elevations. Did you hear hooves?

no hooves. sounded like soft steps ... as if maybe someone was out there walking. No sign of mountain goats where we were either....saw some marmots though.

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

If you really want to save weight, cut about 4 inches off your toothbrush, rip all the tags out of your clothes, ( you know, the tags that show what size the garment is and how to wash it ) and get rid of that GPS. Use a map and compass if you really need to do any navigation.

hermannr

Old hiker here...this is what you do:

Make a list of everything you THINK you might need. Be selective, but this suggestion does not include your first aid kit, always take a first aid kit.

Take the list with you. Every time you use something, mark it down. Every time you want something you did not bring, write it down,,,when you get home, get what you need to fill the list. Also, put away, and do not bring next time, everthing you did not use.

Like I said, this does not include the carry or the first aid kit...like a fire extinguisher in your kitchen...always bring them, and hope youu never need them

skyisfalling

Nice Pic

Good Job Bonifide.
I regularly OC in the California back country. Long gun in a scabbard and a sidearm on my hip.
Washington State is cake.
It's crazy to enter the food chain as an equal.

HeesBonafide

Old hiker here...this is what you do:

Make a list of everything you THINK you might need. Be selective, but this suggestion does not include your first aid kit, always take a first aid kit.

Take the list with you. Every time you use something, mark it down. Every time you want something you did not bring, write it down,,,when you get home, get what you need to fill the list. Also, put away, and do not bring next time, everthing you did not use.

Like I said, this does not include the carry or the first aid kit...like a fire extinguisher in your kitchen...always bring them, and hope youu never need them

Great Advice! Thanks!

I have to admit, that par of my plan is also workout related...so I am not too concerned about the weight. But, at the end of the hike, the pack was feeling a little heavy and I was glad to get it off of me. Legs are still complaining a little though.

hermannr

If you really want to save weight, cut about 4 inches off your toothbrush, rip all the tags out of your clothes, ( you know, the tags that show what size the garment is and how to wash it ) and get rid of that GPS. Use a map and compass if you really need to do any navigation.

I've got to admit, I've gotten lazy, my GPS, my Maps (USGS 7 1/2 min) and my compass are all in the same unit. I've got all of WA, as well as, all of OR and BC...that is a lot of maps at the push of a button. Beats the hick out of the 100 lbs of maps I have at home, some from the 20's. I'll never get rid of those old maps though...it is great fun to compare them to the latest version, and then go look for that road, RR or village that does not exist anymore.