Thread: Is Justice Scalia Right?

Is Justice Scalia Right?

I was surprised to hear Justice Scalia on the topic of gun control, kinda like advocation more 'gun control' or prohibition?? I am shocked actually by the undertones of this conservative justice. I think he may be talking a bit out of emotions.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/scali...lated-20120729

Yes justice scalia is right

Justice Antonin Scalia, one of the Supreme Court's most vocal and conservative justices, said on Sunday that the Second Amendment leaves room for U.S. legislatures to regulate guns, including menacing hand-held weapons.
    Yes, government should have the power to ban any hand-held weapon that goes around menacing unsuspecting citizens.

I personally would be greatly unnerved by any hand-held weapon that can move about on it's own. Let alone menace stuff.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 07-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

no robot or artificial intelligence device should ever be armed

while no law abiding citizen should ever be barred the use of arms

and no law should be made seeking to make law abiding gun owners criminals

guns never have been or ever were the problem , people are and will be with or without guns , the gun is however a great equalizer and should remain so , allowing a frail or weak victim to fend of an attacker many times their size.

Shocked or Surprised or...

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    I was surprised to hear Justice Scalia on the topic of gun control, kinda like advocation more 'gun control' or prohibition?? I am shocked actually by the undertones of this conservative justice. I think he may be talking a bit out of emotions.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/scali...lated-20120729

Did you actually hear Justice Scalia or are you reacting to a journal article that printed the author's interpretations of what he was told by somebody who read about the interview?

Of course firearms are subject to restrictions. Everything we do is subject to some sort of restriction. Of the substantive comments he made consider - The right to keep and bear arms does not include a cannon because nobody in 1791 bore a cannon (carried it around) nor today - except perhaps Superman. He went on to say that a manpack rocket launcher may be okay because it is capable of being borne. I think that any crew served weapon is excluded because it is not designed to be an individual weapon. Thus M-60/M-2 machine guns - no, AK47/M16/other rifle (even if select fire) - perhaps. What matters is what the authors wrote and the context of the time in which they wrote. Except for the given examples, he was pretty non-committal.

Wrong: Media claiming scalia said scotus to limit second amendment:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...cond-Amendment
    Wisconsin Carry Member

Quote Originally Posted by Preferred Customer View Post
    Wrong: Media claiming scalia said scotus to limit second amendment:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...cond-Amendment
    In very tight terms,,,I think it is in the interest of the Government, and general public, to limit access to firearms in the secure area's of Jails and Mental Hospitals, and MAYBE courtrooms....other than that, I don't think so...I doubt the Justice thinks there are very many other places either.

can any of you wise guys explain the substance and the meaning of the second amendment in it's original intent? Also what was the purpose of the second amendment? Then please explain when regulations stop and prohibitions begin. Not only that but what did the founders mean by arms and bearing arms. Obummer could say, arms means BB guns. I never said that we need to carry bazookas or grenade launchers or cannons around. What is a WELL REGULATED militia? people like us toting guns around for self defense? I just want to understand the "right of the people to keep and bear arms.
    Last edited by Law abider; 08-03-2012 at 12:34 AM.