• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plan to OC While Visiting Louisville

Steeler-gal

I will be visiting Louisville, KY in September for a conference. I have a VA CHP and KY recognizes this permit. Since KY is and OC state I'd really like to OC while I am there. I’ll be staying at a Hyatt Regency just 1/2 block from “Fourth Street Live!” I'll be spending most of my time in the conference area of my hotel but I do plan to venture out for food and sourvenirs and air. :)

Does anyone have any experience with hotels in that area or the stores and restaurants in that area? Do many (or any) of them prohibit firearms? I checked the hotel website but there isn’t anything written. Should I call and check on their policy regarding OC within the hotel, hotel restaurant and conference rooms? I’d hate to get to the Hyatt and have them tell me I can’t wear my firearm in the hotel.

Any advice on where to OC and not OC while I'm visiting would be appreciated.

Thanks!

09jisaac

I don't have any personal experience with hotels in Louisville. I would like to point out though that the "bar" of a hotel is off limits to loaded carry. The bar is defined as any place serving alcohol to be consumed on premise that does not make more than 50% of its profit on food or does not have a seating capacity of at least 50 people.

You are correct about Kentucky honoring your state CHP, as Kentucky honors all permits. Check out the "Kentucky Gun laws" thread for any more information. I included the statute numbers so you can print off that page to carry with you. There is also other documents supplied by other members of the forums.

If you have any problems in Kentucky, we will be glad to help. It is a fine state and I hope you have a grand time.

Any chance that you want to share with us the rout you will be taking? Maybe someone can meet you for a M&G. We have members that live in and around Louisville and you probably will be passing just south of Ashland (where we have the Eastern Kentucky M&G).

Last edited:

Brian D.

Does anyone have any experience with hotels in that area or the stores and restaurants in that area? Do many (or any) of them prohibit firearms? I checked the hotel website but there isn’t anything written. Should I call and check on their policy regarding OC within the hotel, hotel restaurant and conference rooms?

Thanks!

As a general rule making such calls is a bad idea. The default answer (if they answer) will be "no" most of the time and depending on who you talk to it could give them the idea to post 'No Guns' signage. Kentucky is gun-friendly overall and you shouldn't have any problems. But I never open carry anyplace without having a voice recorder ready to go.