• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drones over gun shows? Maybe Not

Repeater

Can it be? Both Todd Gilbert and the ACLU of Virginia agree: no drone surveillance without a warrant:

ACLU of Virginia and Del. Todd Gilbert Propose Legislation to Regulate Unmanned Aerial Drones in Virginia
Delegate C. Todd Gilbert (R Woodstock) and the ACLU of Virginia announced today that they are working together on legislation to regulate the use of unmanned aerial drones in the Commonwealth.

“Both the ACLU and I believe, as do many Virginians across the political spectrum, that the use of drones by police and other government agencies should be strictly controlled by state laws that protect the privacy and civil rights of all Virginia residents,” said Delegate Gilbert. Gilbert continued, “I will be introducing legislation in the 2013 General Assembly Session to:

i) prohibit the use of drones by law enforcement unless a warrant has been issued;

ii) require that policies and procedures for the use of drones be adopted by legislative bodies in open meetings;

iii) provide for public monitoring and accountability; and

iv) mandate that pictures of individuals acquired by drones be destroyed unless they are part of an authorized investigation.”

Virginians ought to be able to keep and bear arms openly within the Commonwealth without having to worry that the Government has them under surveillance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Can it be? Both Todd Gilbert and the ACLU of Virginia agree: no drone surveillance without a warrant:

ACLU of Virginia and Del. Todd Gilbert Propose Legislation to Regulate Unmanned Aerial Drones in Virginia

Virginians ought to be able to keep and bear arms openly within the Commonwealth without having to worry that the Government has them under surveillance.

Just a quick note about Gilbert.
2 years ago I videoed Gilbert in Committee discussing not allowing anyone with a gun in the GA building. He said this is the peoples house and moved to kill the bill, and it died.

[video=vimeo;19342023]https://vimeo.com/19342023[/video]

I don't agree with all his bills but he really believes in the constitution.

Last edited:

mk4

i watched a lot of the ga's live feeds this last session. i gotta say, i like this guy.

Repeater

License plate scans, too?

What is it with the government wanting to keep tabs on everyone?

ACLU looking at use of license plate scans
Your license plate may be an information portal into your criminal record, payment history and even your everyday movements.

In Virginia and across the country, the use of license plate scanning technology by law enforcement agencies and even tax collectors is attracting concern from the American Civil Liberties Union.

ACLU chapters in 35 states announced Monday that they are querying law enforcement agencies through Freedom of Information Act requests about how they are using the scanning technology and about the extent to which the information may be used to compile "movement histories" of people.

But wait, there's more:
"Automatic license plate readers make it possible for the police to track our location whenever we drive our cars and to store that information forever," said Catherine Crump, staff attorney with the ACLU's Speech, Privacy & Technology Project.

In a news release, Crump said that the FOIA requests should help reveal if the technology is being used by "police departments … in a limited and responsible manner or whether they are keeping records of our movements for months and years for no good reason."

FOIA requests? good luck with that.

My concern is this: "Your license plate may be an information portal into your criminal record, payment history and even your everyday movements." Doesn't that include whether you have a CHP? If so, it's another argument for Constitutional Carry.

cptstoney

i'm all for not letting "the man" know what i'm doing, but damn this thread seems alil much.

nowhere did i see anything about gun shows(or anything about guns for that matter)............

and on the lic. plate scanning, if you aren't doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide why worry?

scouser

and on the lic. plate scanning, if you aren't doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide why worry?

Because it's a warrantless search. This is Virginia NOT Europe. Some people have left oppressive regimes where freedom of movement is extremely difficult, some just got sick of surveilance cameras everywhere.

The license plate scanner is just the first step, next will come 'security' cameras on street corners and the argument again will be 'if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about'. Then what?

More cameras, GPS tracking on your cellphone, more checks when you go to buy a firearm, background checks to buy ammunition, limits on what you can buy, and everytime someone like you is going to chime in with 'if you have done nothing wrong why are you worrying?'.

This isn't about catching those who have done wrong, it's about protecting the freedoms Americans (especially Virginians) are born with, and immigrants have chosen to come here to enjoy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The license plate scanner is just the first step, next will come 'security' cameras on street corners and the argument again will be 'if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about'. Then what? .
Mud and prepay phones are your friends!:lol:

Thundar

Because it's a warrantless search. This is Virginia NOT Europe. Some people have left oppressive regimes where freedom of movement is extremely difficult, some just got sick of surveilance cameras everywhere.

The license plate scanner is just the first step, next will come 'security' cameras on street corners and the argument again will be 'if you do nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about'. Then what?

More cameras, GPS tracking on your cellphone, more checks when you go to buy a firearm, background checks to buy ammunition, limits on what you can buy, and everytime someone like you is going to chime in with 'if you have done nothing wrong why are you worrying?'.

This isn't about catching those who have done wrong, it's about protecting the freedoms Americans (especially Virginians) are born with, and immigrants have chosen to come here to enjoy.

This is the current reality in London. The panoptic government, there to "help". Hell on earth.

Virginia Beach was using some facial recognition software on their cameras at the oceanfront, but many complained. VBPD claims they no longer use the software.

scouser

This is the current reality in London. The panoptic government, there to "help". Hell on earth.

Not my hometown, but it is my home country and sadly the 1984 Big Brother is watching over every major city there, not just London

Last edited:

cptstoney

lic plate scans leads to gun control, yeah thats makes a lick of sense......

i better go stock up on tin foil cause the gobment gonna start scanning my brain while im sleeping......

twoskinsonemanns

if you aren't doing anything wrong and have nothing to hide why worry?

What a incredible attitude. That attitude is flawed in principle.
You can say the same about:
random home searches,
mandatory gun registration,
the fed regularly interviewing your children for signs of abuse,
mandatory "patriotic" oaths to the fed
etc

Last edited:

OC for ME

All the state will get from a scan of my LP(s) is farmall.jpg on the back and mud on the front.

.....oh, they may be upset with my Winchester windshield decal.