Thread: Looking for an Ar-15

Looking for an Ar-15

I am in the market to buy a Ar-15 and I am looking into a S&W M&P15 or a DPMS Panther. Anyone have any experiance with either of these?

This is off-topic of course-----Just askign for advice... Thanks for the replies.....
    Last edited by briehl12; 07-30-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: off topic.....

Depending on te exact model of each there are a few. I have shot both. Great guns. not many bells and whistles, but that is whats so good about the AR platform. You can add and change anything you want. 20-50-300 dollars at a time. lol

www.WaGuns.org

Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by briehl12 View Post
    I am in the market to buy a Ar-15 and I am looking into a S&W M&P15 or a DPMS Panther. Anyone have any experiance with either of these?
    I had the same question you did and the same decisions to choose from, s&W, dpms, and doublestar. What is your budget? I had around $700 to spend.

DPMS is not mil-spec at all and no chrome lined barrel, they also only have a 3 year warranty
    S&W has good customer service and a lifetime warranty, decent rifles for plinking, but again, not mil spec or chrome lined barrel

A buddy on the other forums I use linked me to this:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/palme...dy-w-fn-barrel

It's on sale right now, but probably not for long.

Everyone knows PSA for their good rifles and good CS. Granted it is no Colt, but it's still very good for the money. Chrome lined barrel, all parts are mil-spec, lifetime warranty. $700+fees

I just bought one a few days ago and it's getting shipped, all you need is a rear sight for it.
    Last edited by Burns; 07-30-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Why not just build your own??
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Both those brands are solid. I started with a basic Bushmaster and then started modifying it myself slowly. My $750 gun soon turned into a $2300 gun. I wouldn't worry too much about what you start with because as someone else noted you can change out just about everything. I think I have parts from at least 20 different companies on my rifle.

Off Topic

FORUM RULES

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    FORUM RULES

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    Could you tell us in which statement he mentioned anything about carrying it? This rule is clearly about the issue of discussing the open carry of rifles and not that of rifles themselves. Thanks.
    Last edited by Burns; 07-30-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Could you tell me where there is ANY discussion about open carry on this thread? The thread is off topic and also about rifles. It should be in the General forum.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    +10000
    WA Guns
    "There is no such thing as a free lunch, but there is always free cheese in a mousetrap."

Could you tell me where there is ANY discussion about open carry on this thread? The thread is off topic and also about rifles. It should be in the General forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by massivedesign View Post
    As pointed out there are much better places to post this type of thread. WAguns is a great place.
    Live Free or Die!

I have an S&W M&P 15 and a DPMS Panther Sportical. I like the S&W better. It feels more comfortable in my hands, has better fit and finish, and has been more reliable. To be fair, that's a sample of one.
    Mil-Spec has nothing to do with the quality of a firearm.

Military specs are more about conformity than quality. They'll accept a rifle that shoots 3 MOA. What does that tell you?

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Why not just build your own??
    + 1

My recent build has a DPMS BGC. Superb.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Banned

Follow the rules or I'll be at your Thanksgiving dinner ; do you want that !