• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for an Ar-15

briehl12

I am in the market to buy a Ar-15 and I am looking into a S&W M&P15 or a DPMS Panther. Anyone have any experiance with either of these?

This is off-topic of course-----Just askign for advice... Thanks for the replies.....

Last edited:

SeattleWingsfan

Depending on te exact model of each there are a few. I have shot both. Great guns. not many bells and whistles, but that is whats so good about the AR platform. You can add and change anything you want. 20-50-300 dollars at a time. lol

Burns

I am in the market to buy a Ar-15 and I am looking into a S&W M&P15 or a DPMS Panther. Anyone have any experiance with either of these?

I had the same question you did and the same decisions to choose from, s&W, dpms, and doublestar. What is your budget? I had around $700 to spend.

DPMS is not mil-spec at all and no chrome lined barrel, they also only have a 3 year warranty
S&W has good customer service and a lifetime warranty, decent rifles for plinking, but again, not mil spec or chrome lined barrel

A buddy on the other forums I use linked me to this:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/palmetto-state-armory-ar-15-rifle-m4-optic-ready-w-fn-barrel

It's on sale right now, but probably not for long.

Everyone knows PSA for their good rifles and good CS. Granted it is no Colt, but it's still very good for the money. Chrome lined barrel, all parts are mil-spec, lifetime warranty. $700+fees

I just bought one a few days ago and it's getting shipped, all you need is a rear sight for it.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Both those brands are solid. I started with a basic Bushmaster and then started modifying it myself slowly. My $750 gun soon turned into a $2300 gun. I wouldn't worry too much about what you start with because as someone else noted you can change out just about everything. I think I have parts from at least 20 different companies on my rifle.

SpyderTattoo

Off Topic

FORUM RULES

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Burns

FORUM RULES

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

Could you tell us in which statement he mentioned anything about carrying it? This rule is clearly about the issue of discussing the open carry of rifles and not that of rifles themselves. Thanks.

Last edited:

SpyderTattoo

Could you tell me where there is ANY discussion about open carry on this thread? The thread is off topic and also about rifles. It should be in the General forum.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Flopsweat

I have an S&W M&P 15 and a DPMS Panther Sportical. I like the S&W better. It feels more comfortable in my hands, has better fit and finish, and has been more reliable. To be fair, that's a sample of one.
Mil-Spec has nothing to do with the quality of a firearm.

Military specs are more about conformity than quality. They'll accept a rifle that shoots 3 MOA. What does that tell you?