• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Open Carry

Ruether

I recently just purchased my glock 22 that I will be using to open carry. I'm 20 years old and I just wanted some pointers before I venture off into the legal gun hating abyss. I live in Kansas City and I'll be moving back to Warrensburg for school. I was interested in the basic information about open carrying.
Do's and Dont's, where you have carried and been fine and where not to carry for legal reasons. Also about open carrying inside vehicles and such. I know that you can talk your way out of trouble by knowing the laws.

Thanks!

Oramac

One of the board members here (whos name escapes me) is actually an active OCer in the Burg. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. As I understand it, the Burg is ok so long as you make damn sure you stay off school property. It's technically legal to carry there according to MO law, but you WILL be expelled if they see you carrying.

SixGunCowboy

One of the board members here (whos name escapes me) is actually an active OCer in the Burg. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. As I understand it, the Burg is ok so long as you make damn sure you stay off school property. It's technically legal to carry there according to MO law, but you WILL be expelled if they see you carrying.

You're wrong, Oramac. To carry a gun knowingly onto school property is not only illegal in Missouri. It's a felony. You cannot O.C. or carry anywhere within 1,000 ft. of a school installation. Also, most college campuses do not allow guns anywhere on or near them (in most cases).

xdmcompact

You're wrong, Oramac. To carry a gun knowingly onto school property is not only illegal in Missouri. It's a felony. You cannot O.C. or carry anywhere within 1,000 ft. of a school installation. Also, most college campuses do not allow guns anywhere on or near them (in most cases).

I believe you need to read your laws again, a person with a CCW is exempt from the 1000 ft. school zone law. I am not on my computer otherwise I would post the applicable laws. Can someone help me with this right now.

freak4cycles

questions XDM?

I believe you need to read your laws again, a person with a CCW is exempt from the 1000 ft. school zone law. I am not on my computer otherwise I would post the applicable laws. Can someone help me with this right now.

I am not sure on this topic, but I would also like to know. I am new to OC but have a CCW permit. I CCW carry everywhere! You seem to be knowledgeable about the OC laws in our fine state? I see according to the map on the site here Missouri is an Open Carry Friendly state. That being said I also heard that there are ordinances in certain counties and cities the outlaw OC? Can you please give me your two cents worth on St. Charles and surrounding areas? I have seen a YouTube video on open carry on main street and it seemed the person OC was fine there were no ordinances against it at the time?

thanks

xdmcompact

I am not sure on this topic, but I would also like to know. I am new to OC but have a CCW permit. I CCW carry everywhere! You seem to be knowledgeable about the OC laws in our fine state? I see according to the map on the site here Missouri is an Open Carry Friendly state. That being said I also heard that there are ordinances in certain counties and cities the outlaw OC? Can you please give me your two cents worth on St. Charles and surrounding areas? I have seen a YouTube video on open carry on main street and it seemed the person OC was fine there were no ordinances against it at the time?

thanks

IANAL= I Am Not A Lawyer, that being said St. Charles and surrounding area is OC friendly. Because OC is not preempted local municpalities can and do ban OC. You will have to check each municipality to see if they allow OC, allow only with CCW or do not allow at all. You can start with these two websites, www.sullivanpublications.com and www.municode.com they host 95% of the munis ordinances. The problem with them is they are almost never up to date, municipalities pass new laws almost weekly. You will have to go to each muni personally to verify, never call the police to ask if it is legal, they can and do lie to keep you from OC'ing.

BionicRooster

From what I found...

Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

It says nothing about 1000ft (maybe stated elsewhere though, and I might have missed it.)

And... Welcome to the thread :)

Edit... Dropping the kids off with yer gun might be okay, as long as ya stay in the car, but NEVER get out and go in, then yer up crap creek without a paddle...

Last edited:

Oramac

I was making the [possibly incorrect] assumption that the person in question already had a valid CCW permit. If not, the point is moot. Also, IANAL.

Assuming that, the you can carry on campus per RSMO 571.107 for concealment purposes. Obviously, even if OC is ok, it's ill-advised as the college will expell you.

EDIT: pertinent sections:

571.107. 1. A concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize the person in whose name the permit or endorsement is issued to carry concealed firearms on or about his or her person or vehicle throughout the state. No driver's license or nondriver's license containing a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a concealed carry endorsement or permit issued by another state or political subdivision of another state shall authorize any person to carry concealed firearms into:

1)...

(10) Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises of any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;

...17)...

2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. [emphasis added]

Last edited:

HighFlyingA380

I'm an active OCer in the 'Burg. I've never had a problem from any cops or shop owners there. From what I hear, there are some Wally-World managers that don't like it, but they have been quieted by upper management. The proprietor of New China Buffet loves me/us when we OC there; she realizes her business is much safer with us there. If I remember correctly, the owner of The Donut Cafe and the GNC is on here and OCs. Never had a problem at the Carmike theater either, and I've OC'd there twice since the Aurora shooting, and no problems. As for car carry, Missouri allows any person 21yo or older to carry a firearm openly or concealed in a vehicle. As for the 1,000ft. GFSZ mess, I'm still not completely clear on that, so I just conceal when I'm near schools or UCM, unless I'm on private property.

Ruether

Any higher education institution or elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the governing body of the higher education institution or a school official or the district school board.

We also have a gun range on campus, if that helps clear any confusion. As long as the governing body approves it you're in the clear.

HighFlyingA380

We also have a gun range on campus, if that helps clear any confusion. As long as the governing body approves it you're in the clear.
Correction, we used to have one. It got shut down last summer. But yeah, your premise remains correct. It is completely legal to carry a firearm on a campus, but that can/is restricted to local municipality laws and institution rules. Most campuses will expel you (if your a student) and ban you from the premises.

Last edited:

OC for ME

[SIZE=+1]Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties. [/SIZE]

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(10) Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.

3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. <snip> Subdivision (10) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school, or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event or club event.

4. Subdivisions (1), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

5. Subdivisions (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8), (9), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to persons who are engaged in a lawful act of defense pursuant to section 563.031.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM
Anybody wan to guess the problem with #5?

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Anybody wan to guess the problem with #5?

There should be no such thing as "unlawful" self defense, but you are then going to be faced with "but for' and but for the fact you were on property with a gun illegally the libtard robbing you would still be alive and your commission of a felony resulted in their death so despite that it was self defense, but for your felonious act there would have been no death so now it becomes murder 2, armed criminal action, felony possession of a weapon on school grounds, and perhaps a few others for good measure. Your going to be hit so hard that unless you have a legal defense fund of 250k or better your lawyer is going to repeatedly and consistently try and motivate you to cop a plea.

Sorry for rambling, I am just losing all faith in the system across the board, guess I am getting old and crabby.