• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New user with a procedural question

Hotolds442

Ive been lurking for a few days now, gathering info and brushing up on the laws and rights and made the decision to begin to OC. My question is, how does one go from loaded OC to unloaded in a vehicle without taking the risk of brandishing charges when unloading outside of the vehicle, or possessing a loaded weapon inside a vehicle if I choose to unload when I first enter the vehicle?

Maine Expat

First, welcome to the forum. You're in the right place for the best info (and a wide range of opinions;)).

I'm in the same boat as you. What I do is stand outside and lean inside the truck (I have a Ram) and handle the loading/unloading out of casual view. I sometimes do it while seated inside with the door closed, but that could present a problem if a LEO wanted to nit pick.

Also, get in the habit of carrying some OC Info cards for your State in your pocket so you can pass them out to anyone who questions you about why you carry. Vista print is a wonderful thing.

And absolutely be intimately failure with the applicable Statutes.

Last edited:

briehl12

word to the wise... get your cpl. the cost is about 55buks. It will save you the worry of having to unload in your car, and you do not have to conceal carry if you choose not to. I have my cpl and open carry everywhere, loaded in the car as well. Plus the less you fu*k with your firearm, the less anyone can say anything. Carry on, and welcome.

Last edited:

Hotolds442

CPL is on its way, due on the 10th. It seems that OC seems to bring out the nitpick in those that respond to a MWAG call, and I didn't want to find myself in that situation where I was being "observed" while entering my vehicle and make the wrong decision about when to unload. The minute you lay a hand on the firearm, things seem to change. A holstered firearm does not pass the "warrants alarm" test, but unholstered, new ball game. When the CPL gets here, then it's no longer an issue. Thanks for the quick replies!

briehl12

Only the ones that have their eye on you. You would be supprised at how many people do not pay attention. Some notice and ask questions, and most do not say anything. It gets better over time. I have been oc/cc for about 6years now. Not much issue really.

Maine Expat

I'm getting my CCP as well just to avoid that situation.

I also tend to park out a bit to keep prying eyes away. At my age the exercise is a good thing. :lol:

Hotolds442

I always park far away from the door dingers myself, funny how when I return to my car it's always got a car next to it with the drivers door facing mine:banghead: I guess I can always use that for cover while I unload!

hermannr

I have done the dance with a revolver and a semi-auto, with the revolver, emptying the cylinder is not as bad as reloading. (I don't/didn't use speed loaders). With the semi-auto, at first I just didn't rack one into the chamber (unless I was going somewhere that I thought it would be best to be fully loaded (cocked and locked). My hands and wrists hurt a lot so I really do did not like that.

Solution was, get a CPL. Until then, park in the back 40, and try not to look like you are doing something strange...that is what draws attention to you. With a little practice you can get it done in a couple seconds, and it will look like you are just locking up your car the old way. I don't like door dings either, so, even though we could probably get a set of perminent disabled plates, we walk from the back 40, even though I did finally break down and get my CPL.

Don't do it while you are in your car...not wort the risk.

Difdi

Ive been lurking for a few days now, gathering info and brushing up on the laws and rights and made the decision to begin to OC. My question is, how does one go from loaded OC to unloaded in a vehicle without taking the risk of brandishing charges when unloading outside of the vehicle, or possessing a loaded weapon inside a vehicle if I choose to unload when I first enter the vehicle?

The key phrase is "warrants alarm". If you wave the gun above your head, let out a rebel yell or two while aiming the gun at passersby, or unload by firing into the air, then you are warranting alarm. Simply drawing the gun from the holster, keeping it aimed at the ground, ejecting a magazine and clearing the action does not warrant alarm.

You must unload before entering the vehicle, to avoid breaking the law (misdemeanor). Leaning into the vehicle to obscure the gun from view is a technical violation, since the gun is inside the vehicle and loaded when you do that. Likewise, sitting in the vehicle then unloading is also a violation of the law.

As many others have stated, getting a CPL is easy and relatively cheap, and negates the problem entirely.

cgutierrez0688

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Washington forum, (originally from Colorado) I'm going to be moving to Bremerton soon. I was wondering if I could get a brief explanation on open carry in Washington, and was wondering if you all do meet and greets. In Colorado were currently fighting congress because of the Aurora Theater Shooting, and our recent OC'er being arrested.

Much Thanks,
Chris

rapgood

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Washington forum, (originally from Colorado) I'm going to be moving to Bremerton soon. I was wondering if I could get a brief explanation on open carry in Washington, and was wondering if you all do meet and greets. In Colorado were currently fighting congress because of the Aurora Theater Shooting, and our recent OC'er being arrested.

Much Thanks,
Chris

Start here: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Open-Carry

07Altima

First want to welcome the new guys

Hi every one, just so you know I have parked middle as normal, have had to load, and unload a few times, got one weird look but that went away when he saw me holster it. The reason for this issue has been in the gun shops not good to reload at the counter but have taken it out unloaded, and then let people look since its inside no one minds, but loading at the counter can get the business in trouble if the inspectors show up, and see that activity so I dont do it. this leaves me loading in the parking lot. Not really an issue in or near a gun store though. Also I carry a very big gun the only thing larger is its 6 in. brother, and and the S&W 500 8in. I carry the Raging Judge 3in.

I do not get bad press ever. I have had a few dirty looks from some who notice but others just seem not to see it, or in many cases congratulate me on my OC and thank me for it. Many an off duty LEO have commented about how they like to see it. I dont know why people get bad press from cops but so far I have only had good.

I hope to see you guys at our next meet up but not sure if they are having it this weekend or not. well for Sno co. area any way.