• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Silly Question

Bellum_Intus

Ok, So I'm not condoing the actions of the Aurora Shooter, but..

How does the DA manage to charge him with 2 murder charges per murder? How does the DA charge him with 2 counts of attempted murder per attempted murder?

Curious question... he's charged with 24 counts of Murder...

--Rob

Last edited:

PikesPeakMtnMan

I was wondering the same thing. One of the news stories I read stated that the DA could up the attempted murder charges because of the explosives in his apt (designed to kill responders, or whoever else entered) but I, too, am curious about the murder charges.

zach

I don't know, I've only been on a jury in 1 murder case and it was only 1 charge for 1 person.

This from an article

"It's a much easier way for the prosecution to obtain a conviction," said Denver defense attorney Peter Hedeen. "They throw as many (charges) up as they can. If you think you can prove it three different ways, you charge it three different ways."

Bellum_Intus

The problem I have here is..
The more charges a defendant has against him, the more likely a jury will think "oh, he's got 147 Attempted Murder charges against him, he must be guilty" ...

I've experienced this... first hand..
Again, I'm not condoning the man at all, however, it will be next to impossible for him to get a fair trial..

--Rob

Keens

I was wondering that myself. Really doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking double jeopardy, you cannot be charged twice for a crime. 12 counts of first degree murder and an attempted murder charge for each person injured makes sense.

Edit: I don't believe that's a silly question. I bet a bunch of folks are wondering the same thing.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

I was wondering that myself. Really doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking double jeopardy, you cannot be charged twice for a crime. 12 counts of first degree murder and an attempted murder charge for each person injured makes sense.

Agreed, I'm trying to find out how they are charging him w/ 2 counts per offense..

--Rob

jskp229

The way it was explained on the news analysis was...

One count of intentional murder for each victim by name & one count for each of the victims killed that was caused by the act of random violence (shooting into a crowd). Rob got it right - They said the only purpose is to increase the impact to a jury by showing multiple potential 1st degree felonies. They indicated they were complementary.

That is my best recollection and I may have taken a little license with the exact working.

John

Bellum_Intus

The way it was explained on the news analysis was...

One count of intentional murder for each victim by name & one count for each of the victims killed that was caused by the act of random violence (shooting into a crowd). Rob got it right - They said the only purpose is to increase the impact to a jury by showing multiple potential 1st degree felonies. They indicated they were complementary.

That is my best recollection and I may have taken a little license with the exact working.

John

Thank you!

I am not sure I agree with stacking charges in an attempt to sway a Jury, agian, not to say I defend this guys actions (if he's proven guilty), but I am a firm believer in "Innocent until proven Guilty" .. I've been on the wrong side of this once.. it's not fun.. unfortunately, we tend to convict people in the press long before anything gets to a Jury..

--Rob

Last edited:

mtmanchris83

One count of intentional murder for each victim by name & one count for each of the victims killed that was caused by the act of random violence (shooting into a crowd).
John

That's about right, the charges were 12 counts of first-degree murder, and 12 counts of first-degree murder with "extreem indifference" and the same thing with each of the wounded victims for attempted murder. Basically saying he was firing into a crowd with the intent to kill as many as possible, not caring about who it was that was hit, exactly what he was doing.

Charging him twice for each victim won't make any difference in the punishment, 500 years compared to 1000 years is still life in prison, and 12 death sentances compared to 24 death sentances still has the outcome of him no longer living. I agree that they're just trying to make as big an impact as possible on the jury.

Bellum_Intus

I agree that they're just trying to make as big an impact as possible on the jury.

Which IMO IS NOT a good thing, I believe the man deserves a fair trial.. with the media circus, and the DA slamming 2 murder charges per *real* count.. there's no way he can get a fair trial.

Again, I am not supporting his actions if found guilty, but as I've said, I've been on the wrong side of this and it's a real problem within our supposed 'justice system' ..

In my case, I could not afford 24k for atty's fees and was forced to plead guilty on 1 M1 count.. PS... the whole 'an atty will be appointed for you'. crap.. is just that.. BS.. you have to be below poverty level.. (this happened earlier this year)

--Rob