• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woodinville homeowner shoots a burglar

osjak

Homeowners came home to find a couple of burglars rummaging through their home. The husband pulled a gun on the man and called 911. While the homeowner was on the call, the burglar rushed toward him. The homeowner shot two times, hitting the man both times. The burglar, however, proceeded to run (past the homeowner?), got into a getaway car and was taken away by his woman driver. He later had to get into a hospital to treat the wound.

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/news/crime-news-video/lWw/

I am very much interested what kind of woulds were they, and what weapon the homeowner had, that the burglar was able to keep running. Does anyone have any more information?

DCKilla

I think the reaction to a rush towards anyone armed would be shots to the chest. It's the most obvious and easiest place to hit. Two hits and still running away, I'm thinking of something small like a 22 or 380. I'm no ballistics expert by any means.

badkarma

Another +1 for the good guys. We are making progress on stopping crimes. Too bad the rewards out weight the risk for criminals right now.

amlevin

Obviously not a .45 - probably some wimpy round like a 9mm.

Nevertheless, good for the homeowner!

Another one that thinks the .45 is the "Magic Bullet".

Seems I recall a shooting at a Schucks Store at 72nd and Portland ave in Tacoma where someone holding up the Store was shot 7 times by a customer carrying a 1911. All seven rounds were hits and yet the robber was still able to return fire and even lived.

Shot placement is EVERYTHING, not caliber.

As for this incident, reports in the Everett Herald referred to the weapon as "small caliber". Regardless, it did end the attack and best of all, the owner was carrying it.

decklin

Shot placement is mostly everything. Luck plays a large part too. Sometimes people just keep going. I read a story once about a .25 that killed a guy with one shot. Then I met an Iraqi bodyguard who had a run in with a PKC. He got stitched right across the chest. He was still up and walking around and I counted 5-6 scars.
Then there is the soldier who took an RPG to the stomach and lived. And yes, it did detonate.
5.56 will drop a person and then fail to stop a wild dog.

There is no magic bullet. There is no perfect caliber. Shot placement is key to incapacitation but sometimes luck gets in the way.

Good for the homeowner on defending his family.

DeltaOps

Shot placement is mostly everything. Luck plays a large part too. Sometimes people just keep going. I read a story once about a .25 that killed a guy with one shot. Then I met an Iraqi bodyguard who had a run in with a PKC. He got stitched right across the chest. He was still up and walking around and I counted 5-6 scars.
Then there is the soldier who took an RPG to the stomach and lived. And yes, it did detonate.
5.56 will drop a person and then fail to stop a wild dog.

There is no magic bullet. There is no perfect caliber. Shot placement is key to incapacitation but sometimes luck gets in the way.

Good for the homeowner on defending his family.

Exactly!

Often enough when people aim, they usually aim for the stomach area, just due to the fact it is a much larger area to hit. Does not matter to much on the caliber as it does on shot placement.

Two to the chest one to the head. It is not that simple but can be acheived with practice and training. Staying calm is often hard to do and shooting at stationary targets does not give us enough real training that is needed for various situations.

http://www.cascadiatactical.com/programsandclasses.php

sirpuma

I think the reaction to a rush towards anyone armed would be shots to the chest. It's the most obvious and easiest place to hit. Two hits and still running away, I'm thinking of something small like a 22 or 380. I'm no ballistics expert by any means.

Actually, depending on adrenalin or drug levels the caliber could have been anything. I've read accounts of people getting catastrophic damage to liver, heart and lungs and they kept on fighting until they were either given a head shot or until they bled out.

Shot placement is very important but as has been mentioned, sometimes Lady Luck just give you the finger.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Caliber does not matter, I knew a soldier that was in the wrong place doing the wrong things who got shot by a .22, and died. The shot was to the body, and not the head.

Metalhead47

Adrenalin can be a pretty amazing thing.

This. Last I heard the BG was in critical condition at the hospital. So the slugs must have done SOME kind of serious damage. And yet, there's all kinds of stories of people taking some pretty large objects through the head and living to tell the tale.

Adrenaline, luck, caliber, physical & mental condition of the shootee. All are factors. Short of taking the head completely off, it's actually pretty hard to kill/neutralize a person "instantly." And even then the head goes on "living" for several seconds.

The key isn't shooting till you think he's dead, shoot till he thinks he's dead. Some may need more convincing than others.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

Caliber debate is irrelevant. Whatever the homeowner had (likely smaller than 9mm) worked: the homeowner is alive, the BG is in custody.

Prayers to the homeowner because he'll have the aftermath to deal with.

Dave_pro2a

The key isn't shooting till you think he's dead, shoot till he thinks he's dead. Some may need more convincing than others.

"Stop the threat." Nothing more. While what you type might seem humorous to you, if you act in such a fashion it would likely be criminal.

Metalhead47

"Stop the threat." Nothing more. While what you type might seem humorous to you, if you act in such a fashion it would likely be criminal.

I'm not the one who coined the phrase. I see your stick is firmly planted in the usual place...
asset.php

osjak

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions. The back story is that I want my wife to start CC'ing. She has small hands, and most firearms are just uncomfortable for her. And when you take a small 9mm, it is usually a snappy one to shoot. Naturally, she likes to shoot .380 more because of low recoil. My internet investigation shows that .380 is about half as powerful as 9mm. My consern is that if she is in a situation when a guy attacks her, she only has so much time to stop him. And an equal number/placement of 9mm shots will have higher chance of stopping a guy. I know that the shot placement is very important, and the man with a hole in the head does not care if it was a .45 or .22. But more realistic during stress is shots placed into the torso area. The incident in Woodinville is interesting to me, because it sounded like the homeowner used a smaller caliber, providing a small caliber self-defense case from real life.

From responses posted, I see that a reasonable strategy for my wife would be to have a .380 gun that she would carry and practice with more often, because she likes it better than a 9mm. And in case of an attack, keep shooting until the guy stops or the gun runs out of ammo, in which case try to outrun a hopefully wounded attacker.

Metalhead47

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions. The back story is that I want my wife to start CC'ing. She has small hands, and most firearms are just uncomfortable for her. And when you take a small 9mm, it is usually a snappy one to shoot. Naturally, she likes to shoot .380 more because of low recoil. My internet investigation shows that .380 is about half as powerful as 9mm. My consern is that if she is in a situation when a guy attacks her, she only has so much time to stop him. And an equal number/placement of 9mm shots will have higher chance of stopping a guy. I know that the shot placement is very important, and the man with a hole in the head does not care if it was a .45 or .22. But more realistic during stress is shots placed into the torso area. The incident in Woodinville is interesting to me, because it sounded like the homeowner used a smaller caliber, providing a small caliber self-defense case from real life.

From responses posted, I see that a reasonable strategy for my wife would be to have a .380 gun that she would carry and practice with more often, because she likes it better than a 9mm. And in case of an attack, keep shooting until the guy stops or the gun runs out of ammo, in which case try to outrun a hopefully wounded attacker.

My wife is the same, insisted on a .380. So I insisted she carry Buffalo Bore lead flat nose +P ammo. With a .380 I'm more concerned about adequate penetration vs expansion.

Also, for home defense think about a 20 gauge shotgun. My wife loves her cheapo 20 gauge coach gun, can handle it easily, and 20 gauge buck is still damned effective at in-house ranges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk