• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the open carry world

kyglockrockin

Hello everyone, I am new to open carry and have just moved back to n.kentucky. I recently moved back after my time in the Marine Corps and have had my concealed since I turned 21 a couple years ago. I've never had problems with concealed but now I have fallen in love with my glock g20. With its size I am not able to conceal without printing so I'm starting to oc. Any advice for a new oc'er or anywhere in n.ky that you have had problems with carrying would be much appreciated.

rmansu2

Welcome to the forum.

Best advice I can give is to practice. Know your pistol, holster, carry position, retention strategies.

Observe your surroundings.

Most importantly in my opinion, know the laws.

DrakeZ07

Welcome to our humble abode and sanctuary from the traumatic experiances of forum life~ You are now entitled to a free hug, and a fruit basket, which you'll receive by me, should we ever meet in the future~ <3

We have a few peeps from up around your neck of the woods, just sit tight and they'll be around to welcome ya, and give you stuff and things, xD

I suggest giving this link by a helpful guy a good look over, and print up it's links within links; http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99708-Kentucky-Gun-Laws

Oh, and a marine? Thanks for your service, I'll hold some homebrew mead for you~

Random thought... I wonder who would be the best hugger of all the peeps on our sub-forum~ I'd put down 50$ for first place hugger~

Last edited:

hotrod

OOOH RAHHHH. Welcome to NKY and open carry. You should have no trouble, but it is always a possibility. If so, know the law, stand your ground and you will be fine.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Try the Comp-tac Minatour IWB holster. I carry a Glock 20 with this holster and it disappears under a t-shirt; not to mention it is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever tried.

As for openly carrying your firearm, you are in the most OC friendly state in the union in my opinion. Know the law and case law pertaining to the subject in KY and you will be fine. If you don't know where to find the laws let me know. You can also read the "KY firearm law" thread at the top of the KY forum. Welcome and carry on.

Last edited:

kyglockrockin

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome to this great site. I have been searching the site getting as much information as possible.

I have tried the Comp tac Minotaur but it never felt right to me, I am using a Serpa level 2 duty holster, great hold on the pistol and feels perfect on my belt(after I had to change the cant)