• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First police encounter ever!

fire suppressor

Tonight I was walking around Poulsbo trying to get some exercise, I was carrying my Springfield XD 40, a back up Smith and Wesson 649, one extra mag for my XD, my tac light, a 2 inch knife and a small messenger bag with a knee brace in it and a flashing red light on the outside. All of this was visible and being openly carried except for my 649. After about an hours power walk up and down hills I was on my way back home. I had passed multiple Kitsap County Sheriffs all strong side on my walk. About half a mile from home the first Poulsbo police car finally passed me. I was cutting through a parking lot to cut a decent amount of time out of my walk home and watched the police car slow down as it drove by. As I came out the other end I could see the Police car a few hundred feet in front of me, it slowed down again as I came back onto the main sidewalk. As I walked I watched the Poulsbo Police car slow down and make a sudden U turn, the Police car was now coming right at me. All I could think was "Oh great, here we go!" I was a little nervous due to that fact I have been openly carrying for five years and I have never had any a police encounter before. As the car got closer it slowed down and the light bar turned on, I tried to prepare myself for as many scenarios as possible before the cop made contact with me.

The police car was now facing the wrong way in traffic, the passenger window closet to me. As the car pulled along side of me and the passenger side window came down. The cop waved in a friendly manner and I could see a smile on his face. I waved back and continued walking until I herd "arm you armed?, looks like a Glock" The officers voice was not aggressive rather a combination of surprise and a good kind of excitement. At this point I thought "oh what the hell, why not" to myself and walked right up to the police car. As I walked up to the police car I tried to read officer's face and decided to rested one arm on the open car window and replied with "yes sir, and you are close it is a Springfield". The officers voice became again surprised but also enthusiastic the officer told me "I thought you where carrying when I drove by!, don't worry no problems here!" The officer did not ask for my name, where I live, what I was doing, for any form of I.D or anything instead he thanked me for standing up for my second amendment rights and for taking my self defense so seriously.

He put his car in neutral and we spent the next several minutes in the road talking about guns. Then he looked me up and down and laughed and said "let's see gun, knife, extra mag, you look like you can take care of your self without all that good stuff." I gave him and smile and said "well sir you never know theses days." To that he nodded and agreed with me. We spent another few minutes talking while he told me about a few places they have been having problems with at night and told me if I lived near by it was a good thing to be carrying especially at night because they have had increased burglaries during the night. Then he asked if I had seen a man he was looking for on my walk. Apparently he was looking for a man who was just let out of jail and has been causing problems. He told me the man was living in the woods and has been hard to find. I told the officer I had seen him only a few hundred yards away and gave a location. I added he had one hand holding a coffee mug and the other hidden in his pocket. To this a big smile came over the officer's face and he thanked me for the information and told me how impressed he was with me. The officer told me how important it is to be aware of little details like and he told me he was happy to have someone like me carrying in his city. He wished me a good night and told me he had to get back to work. Again he told me to have a good night, thanked me for the information and the attention to detail. I said "thank you sir, have a good and safe night."

The lighting in his car did not allow me to get the officer's name but I do want to thank him for his level of professionalism and for the huge confidence boost. I can only hope the rest of Poulsbo PD have the same attitude and sincerity he did. We who chose to open carry are always under attack from someone for our way of life and after reading so many negative police encounter I wanted to share this with everyone. I have been open carrying for five years and this was my first police encounter ever. While I know no one of us can go indefinitely without a negative LEO encounter I feel very fortunate to have this encounter be my first and amazed it took me five years to get it.

Thanks all for tonight stay safe everyone

Freedom1Man

Sounds like a generally positive encounter. You got lucky.

He should have asked about the missing man upfront though. THEN it would have been up to you and him to continue the conversation.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Oh you did it now, The DON"T TALK TO COPS CREW will no doubt hit this thread hard this coming morning.
There Evil, BAD, LIE, Just want to take your rights away.....hmmm oh and trick you acting like they are all nice and thinks like that and don't care about your safety...

Glad you had a normal contact and it seems you really enjoyed it with out being threatened, beaten or shot.

fire suppressor

thanks for the account of the meeting Eddie...
glad it was all good.
did you have a recorder going?

someday I will have my first encounter,,, hope it goes as well...

No recorder tonight although it would have been a great encounter for it. My recorder is currently on loan, I thought about using my cell phone but I did not want to put my hands in my pocket and pull something out after being questioned if I was armed

amlevin

Believe it or not, you just received an informal field interview. He was sizing you up and decided you were not a problem. The only thing missing from a true field interview was his asking for, and recording ID.

The give-away was his mentioning " "I thought you where carrying when I drove by!".

Sometimes it's a good idea to be low key rather than taking the hardass position offered by some. A simple, friendly conversation and no issues.

Mainsail

Kitsap seems like a good place to live!

I certainly have no criticism for the way you handled it. You were on your toes from the beginning and determined it not to be an interrogation. Everything else is gravy.

wmodavis

Good one! Thanks for telling the account. I had my first encounter on my first OC. Didn't want to postpone it so I'd be wondering what it was like. Mine was pleasant too inspite of what some warn of. They are basically good people too, IMHO!

DeltaOps

Oh you did it now, The DON"T TALK TO COPS CREW will no doubt hit this thread hard this coming morning.
There Evil, BAD, LIE, Just want to take your rights away.....hmmm oh and trick you acting like they are all nice and thinks like that and don't care about your safety...

Glad you had a normal contact and it seems you really enjoyed it with out being threatened, beaten or shot.

Before I started scrolling down, I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Glad you had a good encounter. I have not had a bad encounter yet, and I hope to never have one.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
believe it or not, you just received an informal field interview. He was sizing you up and decided you were not a problem. The only thing missing from a true field interview was his asking for, and recording id.

the give-away was his mentioning " "i thought you where carrying when i drove by!".

Sometimes it's a good idea to be low key rather than taking the hardass position offered by some. A simple, friendly conversation and no issues.

bingo!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Nice job, sounded like you were cognizant of the officer turning the consensual conversation into something different. Glad that never happened and glad that Kitsap seems to have OC down.

jbone

...he told me about a few places they have been having problems with at night and told me if I lived near by it was a good thing to be carrying especially at night because they have had increased burglaries during the night. Then he asked if I had seen a man he was looking for on my walk. Apparently he was looking for a man who was just let out of jail and has been causing problems. He told me the man was living in the woods and has been hard to find. I told the officer I had seen him only a few hundred yards away and gave a location.

157px-Paul_Kersey_arrested.jpg

He agrees to let Paul go if he will rid the streets of the Street Punks. :banana:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Wellll, he was free before his contact with the po po. His continuing dialog with the po po would not have made him free-er, right? Only neutral or negative things are the outcome. Got a coin?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Wellll, he was free before his contact with the po po. His continuing dialog with the po po would not have made him free-er, right? Only neutral or negative things are the outcome. Got a coin?

I would say the OP was going about his business as he would have any other day, is this not the motto of open carry to support normal activity as you go about your day?
He was free before, during and after and this encounter and did not make him any less freer right? And yet this was positive encounter.

hermannr

I think the OP did fine. I had a nice conversation with a Skagit Co Sheriff's Deputy a week ago. Asked what I had, I told him, he liked it, asked where I was from (I was at the Clear Lake boat ramp,used almost exclusively by locals)..then we got in a discussion on house prices and property tax, Skagit Co. V. Okanogan Co. Got the feeling he want to move over to the dry side.

As with the OP. No ID requested, never even asked if I had a CPL. I (we) were obviously not BWI (Boating while intoxicated)

07Altima

I have had many good encounters

I have encountered several police officers, and so far all have been good. I have never had a full on stop or anything like that, but got to talk with the Sheriff at the court house when getting a lock box, and every time it was a good conversation. had a couple guys say they really like my beast of a hand cannon but said that they could not carry it because it was too heavy rofl lots of cool chats with men, and women there. I have had good encounters with the Monroe PD over my hand gun being OC, and never had an issue with them, one of them did save my life prior to getting armed so they all know about me even if not by face, the Everett Police know me by name but not all by face. I have met, and said hi to Tacoma Police a few times, even saw an off duty SPD here in Lynnwood, who smiled, and waved, and said hows it going in a grocery store nice SPD which felt odd but I was happy with that. I had one Sheriff walk along side me once, and based on what one of you said about field exam sounds about like what he was doing, I was nice, and responded in kind. I have only had many positive firearm encounters thus far.

Freedom1Man

MY FIRST encounter as an OC.

Cop drives by, comes back after seeing I was OCing hand and long gun. "Are you a felon?"
Me: No
Cop: okay had a few calls had to check, have a good day
Me: it's sad they wasted your time, you have a good day too.

The next encounters have not been as pleasant though.

MR Redenck

The officer did not ask for my name, where I live, what I was doing, for any form of I.D or anything instead he thanked me for standing up for my second amendment rights and for taking my self defense so seriously.

Fire Suppressor, please try to get this officers name and a department address. I would be more than happy to sent him a token of appreciation for being a True representative of the public. The least we can do is send LEO's who respect the Constitution and the Rights of the citizen a thank you letter.