• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bans and Laws, Laws and Bans !

hjmoosejaw

I'm surprised there aren't more people flipping out. I'm not encouraging it by any means, just surprised it don't happen more often. I'm an average guy just trying to make a living. I don't need a whole lot, fancy things, expensive toys, etc. I just want to be comfortable and take care of my family. It's so crazy these days. Go stand in the rain to smoke, Don't drink more than 16 oz. of soft drinks, make guns illegal. (yea, if they're illegal, there won't be anymore. just like drugs, they're illegal, so now they're all gone.) MORONS! They need to just leave people alone. When I was younger, if you went to somebodies house, they had an ashtray for ya. ( spare the "smoking is bad" argument, just making a point) Even if they didn't smoke, they had an ashtray for ya. It was so rare that they asked you not to smoke, that you would almost be offended for them asking you the question. People just didn't get into your business like they do now. Now there are so many rules and guidelines, you can't keep up. Do this, don't do that. STOP IT! Holy cow man! Just let people live. What is it to you if I want a twenty oz. drink? Get a life! Who the hell appointed these people keepers of the stupid little irritating BS things? Some younger people here are probably a little more use to it, that's the way it's been for their upbringing. They don't know what it WAS like. You can have all of the advances, we just need to trim all the BS. It's like going through life with mosquitoes and flies constantly after you while you have a couple of snippy little dogs nipping at your heels. Well, enough of my rant. I have to get ready for work, so I can be told MORE of what to do and make MORE for them to take from me. Have a nice day!

georg jetson

SNIP You can have all of the advances, we just need to trim all the BS. SNIP

This is a naive idea. Who gets to decide what are "advances" and what is "BS". One person's advance is another's BS.

If the rules of the Republic were adhered to then this wouldn't be a problem. If there is no victim, there is no crime. If one is not engaged in "commerce" then the state/fed cannot regulate.

Edit - Oh... one more thing. In a Republic, the state has no power to "ban" anything.

Last edited:

hjmoosejaw

This is a naive idea. Who gets to decide what are "advances" and what is "BS". One person's advance is another's BS.

Maybe not who, as much as what. Common sense should decide. Who needs somebody to tell them how much of a soft drink they should have? I'm talking about stupid little things like that, also some bigger things. People shouldn't need the government there for powdering their bottoms every time they turn around. Maybe there should be two Americas. One for people who want to make their own way, and one for the lazy ones that want all of the government guidance. There should also be a Liberal tax. If you want money for all of these stupid little reasons, pay a special tax instead of taking money from people who don't want anything to do with it. Just like Obamacare. If you want it, you pay for it. The rest of us could just keep things the way they were. You don't mind all of this stupid s@#t as long as others are paying for it.

hjmoosejaw

That's not practicle. Some people think it's common sense to regulate machine guns... I don't. By your logic, who's right?

Well, by my logic, I would be right. How about just leaving things alone for awhile. Leave things the way they are. Then if you don't come up with anything new, you won't have to worry about it being stupid.

Freedom1Man

When I was younger, if you went to somebodies house, they had an ashtray for ya. ( spare the "smoking is bad" argument, just making a point) Even if they didn't smoke, they had an ashtray for ya. It was so rare that they asked you not to smoke, that you would almost be offended for them asking you the question.

Sorry no smoking tobacco in the house because I HATE the nicotine build up on my walls. PERIOD. I don't know about you but I don't find any enjoyment in cleaning up nicotine stains.

Now I personally don't care if people smoke outside, but due to my personal observations of smokers I would not even allow it on my property I have noticed that smokers are the biggest group of people who disrespect private property and litter everywhere.

THAT being said now I will continue on to us gun owners.

Many places around my area have banned free target practice shooting. NOT because people were shooting at pets, horses, horse back riders, hikers, etc. It was due to the fact that most did not pay the proper respect and clean up after themselves giving us all a bad name in the eyes of the public and land owners.

I believe that bans should be a PERSONAL choice. I wish to ban smoking in MY bar. That is my choice. I wish to have a cigar bar no cigarettes allowed, my choice as a business owner.

So while I am against GOVERNMENT bans personal bans are just that.

hjmoosejaw

Sorry no smoking tobacco in the house because I HATE the nicotine build up on my walls. PERIOD. I don't know about you but I don't find any enjoyment in cleaning up nicotine stains.

Now I personally don't care if people smoke outside, but due to my personal observations of smokers I would not even allow it on my property I have noticed that smokers are the biggest group of people who disrespect private property and litter everywhere.

THAT being said now I will continue on to us gun owners.

Many places around my area have banned free target practice shooting. NOT because people were shooting at pets, horses, horse back riders, hikers, etc. It was due to the fact that most did not pay the proper respect and clean up after themselves giving us all a bad name in the eyes of the public and land owners.

I believe that bans should be a PERSONAL choice. I wish to ban smoking in MY bar. That is my choice. I wish to have a cigar bar no cigarettes allowed, my choice as a business owner.

So while I am against GOVERNMENT bans personal bans are just that.

I can appreciate personal bans. As a smoker, I assure you, I don't litter. Anyway, it doesn't have to be the smoking thing, just in general, people didn't worry about every little thing others did. They just left others alone. They didn't nit pick everything to death. Personal choices are personal. The government doesn't have to micromanage every part of our lives.

That song is a blast from the past, rodbender.

Freedom1Man

I can appreciate personal bans. As a smoker, I assure you, I don't litter. Anyway, it doesn't have to be the smoking thing, just in general, people didn't worry about every little thing others did. They just left others alone. They didn't nit pick everything to death. Personal choices are personal. The government doesn't have to micromanage every part of our lives.

That song is a blast from the past, rodbender.

I assure you I, voted against smoking bans, taxes etc.

I'd rather eat in a smoke filled restaurant than live in a police state. Yes this is not just about smoking.