• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gathering - Colorado Balloon Classic - Sep 1, 2, and 3rd

since9

Campaign Veteran
Colorado Balloon Classic - Official Details

In light of recent events, I think it's wholly appropriate we do not shy away, but continue to go about our business in the lawful manner to which we've long been accustomed.

I therefore propose not one, but two events where we get together during this wonderful event. The first would be one of the morning launches, while the second would be one of the evening balloon glows.

I'll announce the date/time and specific location of the two events via PM to all who're interested. The earlier one will likely involve breakfast/brunch, while the latter will likely involve dinner.

Please respond if you're interested.

LoneEchoWolf

And thats in springs right? Heck i might haveto see if i can get up that way for a couple sounds like a nice time to OC and get together with the ones i havent met yet, keep me in the loop and ill do everything i can to get out that way for sure! Springs is not so far for me only around 2 hours. so im going to try to be in! keep me posted please!

ColoradoFlyer

I will be attending the Balloon Fest and would welcome meeting any other OC's. As far as the park goes I am not aware of any restrictions. Although considering the events of the past 14 days, I am sure there will be hieghtened awareness to anyone carrying a firearm. It just gets crazier...

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
The legitimate question of whether OC is permissible in the park needs an answer. Some of you guys live in the vicinity.
I'd like to ask that somebody volunteer to take a drive over there and check for signs. If none exist, terrific. If they do, we might find unwelcome issues that we don't want or need.

I'm in, provisionally, and await further word on whether the place is posted or not.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

PikesPeakMtnMan

I swung by the park today to take a look at the signs. I ddn't have time to check multiple entrances (but technically, if ONE isn't posted then OC can't be legally prohbited)...and the one I saw didn't say anything about firearms. No excessive noise, no camping, no alcohol and no golfing..but we can carry.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the response, guys!

I understand the concerns, and before I opened the thread I researched schools in the area to make sure we wouldn't be stepping on that big toe. I recall an issue a few years back where Garden of the Gods, also a C-Springs park, was posted against open carry. It was determined that was not lawful, as there was no city ordinance prohibiting it, so the signs were removed about 3 or 4 years ago. I've OC'd at Garden of the Gods on numerous occasions without a hitch.

Memorial Park is also a C-Springs park, and thank you, PikesPeakMtnMan for your quick survey. That's not to say there won't be signs the day of the Balloon Classic, but if that's the case, we'll obey the law and go find a hearty breakfast somewhere else.

I am sincerely hoping we don't find such signs, however. Now is not the time to cave into political correctness. Nevertheless, we can, while exercising our Constitutional rights, continue to be exceptionally polite! Seriously, folks, I think this even would help return some of the confidence of our citizenry in... our citizenry. Each and every one of us has the right to keep and bear arms, and by "us" I'm not talking about OCDO folk. It'd be a dang miracle if we showed up and EVERYONE was carrying! Ha-ha!

Oh, well - I can dream, can't I?

I close with the following:

The Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms therefore, is a right of the individual citizen to privately possess and carry in a peaceful manner firearms and similar arms. Such an "individual rights" interpretation is in full accord with the history of the right to keep and bear arms, as previously discussed. It is moreover in accord with contemporaneous statements and formulations of the right by such founders of this nation as Thomas Jefferson and Samuel Adams, and accurately reflects the majority of the proposals which led up to the Bill of Rights itself. A number of state constitutions, adopted prior to or contemporaneously with the federal Constitution and Bill of Rights, similarly provided for a right of the people to keep and bear arms. If in fact this language creates a right protecting the states only, there might be a reason for it to be inserted in the federal Constitution but no reason for it to be inserted in state constitutions. State bills of rights necessarily protect only against action by the state, and by definition a state cannot infringe its own rights; to attempt to protect a right belonging to the state by inserting it in a limitation of the state's own powers would create an absurdity. The fact that the contemporaries of the framers did insert these words into several state constitutions would indicate clearly that they viewed the right as belonging to the individual citizen, thereby making it a right which could be infringed either by state or federal government and which must be protected against infringement by both.

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms
of the
SUBCOMMITTEE ON THE CONSTITUTION
of the
UNITED STATES SENATE
NINETY-SEVENTH CONGRESS
Second Session
February 1982
Printed for the use of the Committee on the Judiciary
______
U.S. GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
WASHINGTON: 1982
88-618 0​

Last edited:

PikesPeakMtnMan

According to this article open carry is indeed legal during activities at the park, in this case, PrideFest. A gentleman was arrested on what was later found to be an invalid law (due to preemption). The case is apparently not closed yet, but charges are "likely to be dropped" for OCing in the park (as worded in the article: "an unconcealed gun on his hip").

AcePlayerDeluxe

I saw the news clip for this last night, but I forgot to watch. The video of the incident is in the article. All the more reason to OC at the Balloon Festival now. It's our duty to educate certain people about the current law.

mahkagari

The video of the incident is in the article. All the more reason to OC at the Balloon Festival now. It's our duty to educate certain people about the current law.

Does anyone have a Google/YouTube account? Go to the video and invite the guy and his partner to join you at the OC gathering. He seems to be watching the comments.