Thread: Self Defense Quote from Commonwealth Attorney

Self Defense Quote from Commonwealth Attorney

I apologize if this has been mentioned in another thread, but did anyone else's jaw drop to the floor when they read this qoute from the commonwealth Attorney for Henrico:

"It is not essential to the right of self-defense that the danger should in fact exist".......

Given this is only an administrative statement, not admissable in court I assume, but wow. I wonder if she would apply such a stance against an accused citizen exercizing the same right as the police officer in question?

Link to article:
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/n...ys-ar-2099297/

The whole quote:

"It is not essential to the right of self-defense that the danger should in fact exist," Taylor wrote in a lengthy summary of the incident, adding that it is necessary only that a danger to life "reasonably appears" to exist for an officer to act in self-defense.

This is not significantly different that what User has posted here dozens of times and has posted on his web page.

ETA: Having said that, your question is still a valid one: Would the CA use this same criteria in the decision to prosecute a mere citizen, rather than a police officer...

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 08-01-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Officer: I reasonably believed at that time.....
    Judge: OK, no problem.

Citizen: I reasonably believed at that time.....
    Judge: Really now, and what facts do you have to substantiate your claim?
    Citizen: uh.....whut?

Disclaimer: Not the Citizen.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare