• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Self Defense Quote from Commonwealth Attorney

TraumaRN

I apologize if this has been mentioned in another thread, but did anyone else's jaw drop to the floor when they read this qoute from the commonwealth Attorney for Henrico:

"It is not essential to the right of self-defense that the danger should in fact exist".......

Given this is only an administrative statement, not admissable in court I assume, but wow. I wonder if she would apply such a stance against an accused citizen exercizing the same right as the police officer in question?

Link to article:
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...of-unarmed-man-was-justified-says-ar-2099297/

TFred

The whole quote:

"It is not essential to the right of self-defense that the danger should in fact exist," Taylor wrote in a lengthy summary of the incident, adding that it is necessary only that a danger to life "reasonably appears" to exist for an officer to act in self-defense.​

This is not significantly different that what User has posted here dozens of times and has posted on his web page.

ETA: Having said that, your question is still a valid one: Would the CA use this same criteria in the decision to prosecute a mere citizen, rather than a police officer...

TFred

Last edited:

OC for ME

Officer: I reasonably believed at that time.....
Judge: OK, no problem.

Citizen: I reasonably believed at that time.....
Judge: Really now, and what facts do you have to substantiate your claim?
Citizen: uh.....whut?

Disclaimer: Not the Citizen.