• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out Of State CPL (purchases) ??

Hevymetal

I'm looking for cites.

not really a cite but this MAY cover it

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-225113--,00.html

In Michigan, a person "shall not purchase, carry, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol," as prescribed in MCL 28.422. These licenses shall be obtained by the local police agency. If the city, township, or village does not have an organized police agency, the license shall be obtained by the county sheriff department.

There is an exception for a person licensed in Michigan to carry a concealed pistol. He or she must obtain a Pistol Sales Record (RI-060) any time he or she purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, pursuant to MCL 28.422a.

You are licensed in Maine not Michigan so IMHO you wouldn't qualify, Mi allows you to use your Maine CPL through reciprocality. But IANAL.

TheQ

They don't need good cause. Just like Lansing didn't need good cause to yank Tyler around.

Why not? They knew Tyler didn't have the money or resources to fight it in court. I'd wager same applies here.

Why do you think Neil started this thread? He's afraid OCSD is going to yank him around and he knows he doesn't have the resources to fight it.

This isn't trolling, it's just reality.

If LPD gave me to hassle (I have a MI CPL so I don't deal with them), I do have the resources to take them to court, I'd file a motion for a writ if mandamus, and sue for costs and punitive.

xmanhockey7

The law provides an exemption for a U.S. citizen to be exempt from obtaining a license to purchase if they are licensed by this state or another. However I think the another state part means if you're from Ohio and you're in Michigan carrying on you Ohio CHL.

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
Sec. 12. (1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:
(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

SpringerXDacp

How does that work?

I'll be getting an out of state CPL soon, and I wondered if I could use that, or do I still need to get a purchase permit to buy a handgun.

28.422a Individual licensed under MCL 28.425b or a federally licensed firearms dealer; completion of record by seller; duties of purchaser; noncompliance as state civil infraction; penalty; forwarding copy of record to state police; exemption; material false statement as felony; penalty; rules; "federally licensed firearms dealer" defined. Sec. 2a.
(1) An individual who is licensed under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or who is a federally licensed firearms dealer is not required to obtain a license under section 2 to purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol.

28.422 and 28.422a does not exempt Michigan residents who possess a non-resident license/permit to carry. Regardless of the state in which you obtain a license/permit, other than Michigan, you must obtain a LTP for handguns.

stainless1911

Banned
They don't need good cause. Just like Lansing didn't need good cause to yank Tyler around.

Why not? They knew Tyler didn't have the money or resources to fight it in court. I'd wager same applies here.

Why do you think Neil started this thread? He's afraid OCSD is going to yank him around and he knows he doesn't have the resources to fight it.

This isn't trolling, it's just reality.

If LPD gave me to hassle (I have a MI CPL so I don't deal with them), I do have the resources to take them to court, I'd file a motion for a writ if mandamus, and sue for costs and punitive.

I do not believe you are trolling.

I have no intentions of buying another pistol in the foreseeable future. I have the one I want. The only handgun out there that I want besides the M&P, is about 5 grand.

The only hassle I might expect if I were in the market, would be probation. It's only until April/

Last edited:

Bronson

28.422 and 28.422a does not exempt Michigan residents who possess a non-resident license/permit to carry.

My personal opinion is that it wouldn't work but playing the Devil's advocate here....

28.432 does provide an exemption from 28.422 for any U.S. citizen licensed to CC by any state.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

. . .

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

The "Section 2" in red above referes to MCL 28.422 in its entirety. So a plain reading of 28.432 states that any citizen licensed by any state to CC is exempt from 28.422. There are no residency requirements listed, Michigan or otherwise.

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

Sec. 2.

Still, I don't think it would work.

Bronson

Last edited:

Ezerharden

How does that work?

I'll be getting an out of state CPL soon, and I wondered if I could use that, or do I still need to get a purchase permit to buy a handgun.

I do not believe you are trolling.

I have no intentions of buying another pistol in the foreseeable future. I have the one I want. The only handgun out there that I want besides the M&P, is about 5 grand.

The only hassle I might expect if I were in the market, would be probation. It's only until April/

Not trying to start anything, just wondering why you asked the question, and seemed to indicate the desire to buy another handgun, then state you are not looking to buy one?

autosurgeon

Many times in the past we explored laws just in this way.. not because of any special issue but because someone wondered. I enjoyed and learned from those discussions let's keep em coming and everyone remember we can always learn something new if we explored!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2