Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91

Thread: Whos going to Open Carry when they go to VOTE on Aug. 7th?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    WAYNE COUNTY
    Posts
    18

    Thumbs up Whos going to Open Carry when they go to VOTE on Aug. 7th?

    Lets see how many of us would be willing to Open Carry on Aug. 7th Election Day. Dont just say it DO IT. We need to do this, its our God given RIGHTS! It would be great if we could have many of us to O.C. on this day threw out the state. Whos going to do it? Who wants to make a diffents?

  2. #2
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,841
    I will be as usual.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    grand rapids
    Posts
    16

    OC while voting

    What are the rules on that? I remember being kicked out for wearing a T shirt with a political slogan on it, apparently that is not allowed or they did not agree with the opinion expressed.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,275
    Since I OC everyday everywhere it is legal to do so... and it is legal to OC while voting... I'll be OC'ing while voting... like usual.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 08-02-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    217
    I am actually the election chair, so as a poll worker I will be doing my best to OC. I already called the state election commission and their are no rules against it per se. Although I am sure I will be getting flack from the Township administration as well as some of the voters, they gave me hell for CCing the last couple of elections but I resolved myself to OC for this one so we will see what transpires.
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  6. #6
    Regular Member DanM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    I'll be OC'ing to the polls.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

    “He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

  7. #7
    Regular Member Outdoorsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Genesee County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    268
    I will try it for the first time. My voting location is at a church/school. Wish me luck.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    My mailing adress is in Waterford now, so Im not allowed to vote. IIRC, all the locations are in schools.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    My mailing adress is in Waterford now, so Im not allowed to vote. IIRC, all the locations are in schools.
    You are not going to vote because you can't carry in a school?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    I don't go where I can't carry.

    There are too many people voting for obama, either directly, or by a third party to beat him anyhow, and our state government has failed gun owners miserably this term.


    It will be interesting to tell Eileen, my state rep I have worked with many times, that i will not be voting for her because I have been banished from the polling locations in her district. I guess she should have done something this term.

  11. #11
    Regular Member freak4cycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    St Charles
    Posts
    46

    Yes same here

    Quote Originally Posted by Grutte Pier View Post
    What are the rules on that? I remember being kicked out for wearing a T shirt with a political slogan on it, apparently that is not allowed or they did not agree with the opinion expressed.

    Well what you are referring to is electioneering, I was told about that once too as I wore my Ron Paul Hoodie to vote. Its funny 25 feet outside is fine but not in the building? Give me a freaking break. This is what’s wrong with society, too many rules that make no sense!

    Also since most polling places here are in a church or a School I think I would have a hard time doing an OC in them? Schools for sure, what about churches that have schools attached?

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    If you have a CPL, they cannot prohibit you from OCing in a school. They could give you a no trespass order, that would be shot down after a lengthy and expensive court battle. A church is private, but there is a law that says you cannot be stopped from voting, however, they could charge you later for trespass. You could beat that too, under the first amendment, provided that carrying a gun is part of your religion as it is mine. That would end up in the supreme court.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 08-02-2012 at 09:27 AM.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Troy, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    My mailing adress is in Waterford now, so Im not allowed to vote. IIRC, all the locations are in schools.
    if they turn you away from a polling place and you are not breaking the law, you have remedies in federal court (my brother is suing multiple individuals and organizations for doing just that in indiana)
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

  14. #14
    Regular Member Golden Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    232

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by MRMIKE40CAL View Post
    Lets see how many of us would be willing to Open Carry on Aug. 7th Election Day. Dont just say it DO IT. We need to do this, its our God given RIGHTS! It would be great if we could have many of us to O.C. on this day threw out the state. Whos going to do it? Who wants to make a diffents?
    I will be oc for my third time with my recorder running since I've been harassed twice now.
    Not a church or school just a township hall.
    The news media plays politics more than the politicians do.

  15. #15
    Activist Member hamaneggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,246

    Lightbulb

    I will OC (OC 99.99%,or always OC) when I vote(as always) at Crothers Elementary(I have a CPL). I've never had a problem there(no one even mentions it),as it should be!CARRY ON!
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

    NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

  16. #16
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,421
    I won't OC in a PFZ in Ingham County as long as a lady with the last name of Aqualina occupies a bench of the 30th Circuit Court.

    See People v Watkins.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,952
    Quote Originally Posted by smellslikemichigan View Post
    if they turn you away from a polling place and you are not breaking the law, you have remedies in federal court (my brother is suing multiple individuals and organizations for doing just that in indiana)
    Waterford schools has issued me a no trespass order, while I am OCing.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clinton Twp
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Waterford schools has issued me a no trespass order, while I am OCing.
    I would think the federal right to vote would trump that, ask for a police escort to your polling place so you wont be violating the trespass order and let them know they are legally obligated by federal law to allow you to vote. They are now a conundrum. If they escort you, you get to vote (you win). If they refuse you the right to vote they violate federal election laws (you will hopefully win in the long run after lengthy and expensive trials, but the ACLU would love the precedent).
    "God created man, Sam Colt made them equal."

  19. #19
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetal View Post
    I would think the federal right to vote would trump that, ask for a police escort to your polling place so you wont be violating the trespass order and let them know they are legally obligated by federal law to allow you to vote. They are now a conundrum. If they escort you, you get to vote (you win). If they refuse you the right to vote they violate federal election laws (you will hopefully win in the long run after lengthy and expensive trials, but the ACLU would love the precedent).
    Or possibly lock the gun in the car just long enough to vote? I understand the right to bear arms, I don't understand throwing away the right to vote. Voting for a third party MIGHT be throwing a vote away, not voting is for sure throwing the vote away. just my opinion.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wayne County, MI.
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    I don't go where I can't carry.

    There are too many people voting for obama, either directly, or by a third party to beat him anyhow, and our state government has failed gun owners miserably this term.


    It will be interesting to tell Eileen, my state rep I have worked with many times, that i will not be voting for her because I have been banished from the polling locations in her district. I guess she should have done something this term.
    Absentee Ballot


  21. #21
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Absentee Ballot

    yeah, or that
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Taylor, Wayne County, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I won't OC in a PFZ in Ingham County as long as a lady with the last name of Aqualina occupies a bench of the 30th Circuit Court.

    See People v Watkins.
    -
    Hey easy - ladies everywhere maybe offended by you grouping them with her. Sorry Mike, one cannot choose who they are related to... bummer...

    Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    Last edited by Glock9mmOldStyle; 08-03-2012 at 11:40 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    WAYNE COUNTY
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    -
    Hey easy - ladies everywhere maybe offended by you grouping them with her. Sorry Mike, one cannot choose who they are related to... bummer...

    Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    No Problem, It is what it is. Bummer..............lol

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Gobles, MI
    Posts
    178
    I will be OC while voting here in Gobles!

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Eastpointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,440
    I will be, in a school.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •