• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whos going to Open Carry when they go to VOTE on Aug. 7th?

Hevymetal

If it were me, I would be contacting the state election commission and letting them know a clerk feels like they have the authority to over rule the law. If they said it was ok, then they should communicate that down to the polling locations so the polling locations know not to try and violate a person's rights.

Well the sad fact of the situation is the clerk DOES unfortunately have the authority since they hold all of the cards in deciding who, what, where, when and why the election is run and staffed :(

HKcarrier

titled: "i couldn't vote"

although it is legal for the 300 thousand or so "privileged" michigan residents to carry openly in schools, i am not among those "special" people who have been granted the so called right to carry the same weapons that the criminals do. Unfortunately, my polling location is in a school. A place that we send our kids everyday to learn about things, such as the constitution. Due to the location of the polls, and the staggeringly irresponsible convoluted mess of firearms laws in this state, it is illegal for me to exercise my "rights" while voting. What a disgusting irony.

Gun owners played a major part in voting in this majority this term, we took the entire state as a result, yet we have received nothing meaningful in return. It's not too late, but many of us are planning some changes this fall as a result. Perhaps that will become apparent as the votes start rolling in.

absentee ballot

waaaambulance-s480x268-191420.jpg

Someone better call stainless a waaaambulance!!!!!!!

Don't cry about how you didn't get to vote when you simply didn't prepare enough.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Troy Community Center (nearly asked to leave)

i walked into the troy community center, signed in, got my ballot, then i was told the instructions for voting.
i stepped over to the booth, set my ballot down and picked up my pen. i started to read my ballot and was interrupted by a very quiet whisper from behind.
female poll worker:
"sir, are you a police officer?"
me:
"no"
female poll worker:
"then i don't think you can have a gun in here"
me:
"it's fine, i know i can"
her:
"i'm going to check"
me:
"ok, i'm going to finish voting"

she didn't come back and i finished voting

on my way out the door she said, "i checked and it was fine". i told her that i knew it would be. she said she just had to cover her bases. i told her that it was a lot easier for me to know what was legal than for her to know what was illegal. there is a whole lot more illegal in our country than there is legal.
despite being illegally harassed while in the voting booth, the lady was nice, so i didn't make an issue of it. that's what open carry is about, education.

Last edited:

Grutte Pier

open carry while voting

I open carried today and expected some comments but nothing at all, I had my voice recorder at the ready but no use for it.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Michigander

I wasn't planning on OCing to the polls, because up until now I haven't had a go to polling place at a CEZ, and I don't much feel like causing a stir while people try to vote. At my new residence however, I have to go to a school. So I just OC'd to vote.

I was pretty nervous about trouble, but I seem to have gone at a pretty dead hour, so there weren't many people there anyway, and though I got a couple looks, I didn't get any comments or questions. I do wonder if November will be any different, with hopefully more people voting.

Mitchell

Good to hear other as well as I voting today. I also voted today at an Ann Arbor Public school and nothing was said. I do not think they noticed.

DanM

I OC'd at my polling location, which is an elementary school at other times.

Spent a little time with the campaign volunteers before going in, asked them their candidates' positions on the RKBA. Not that I needed to know in most cases. Just wanted to see if the volunteers knew.

Went in, voted, no issues.

Well, apparently someone had an issue. :) As I was walking toward my car, a West Bloomfield PD cruiser slowly rolled up toward me. The officer was very courteous and apparently felt so at ease he didn't even get out. Said they got "some calls" and he was checking it out. He seemed a little bothered with whoever called and said, "I don't know why some people freak out so easily." Seeing there was no trouble, he thanked me for voting and I proceeded to my car.

The brief LEO encounter, and me walking away freely, happened in full view of the campaign volunteers. I'm glad they got to witness what *doesn't* happen when you OC. :)

cmdr_iceman71

In Detroit, I walked two blocks to my polling location which happened to be a church - dual OCing as usual. As I entered the building I heard someone in the crowd which was standing outside blurt out "G0d Damm!?" No one said a thing or batted an eye while I was inside - which is how it is supposed to be. On the way home a couple sitting on their front porch asked if I was a LEO. I replied "No, I'm just a law-abing citizen." The woman threw herself backwards in her chair giggling and replied "Well alright den." No problems, no issues.

Attachments

• DCP_0034.jpg
    DCP_0034.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

ChuckWagon-SMVM

I voted

I voted at around 4:30pm at Elliot Elementary School. I was told I had to provide a drivers license or state ID. I called the woman a "Racist" then chuckled. I already had my drivers license and voter id card in my hand.

Later I took my wife and son up to vote it was her first time in this district. It's a good thing I went with her some horny old coot (probably 70 something in a baseball cap and plaid shirt like they all wear) was hitting on her. She mentioned me and he turned around to see me facing him strong side and looking at him slightly cross. He all of a sudden came to attention and saluted me I gave him a nod and he slithered away.

Attachments

• 185939_10151085561703514_1635220194_n.jpg
    185939_10151085561703514_1635220194_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 87

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
I voted at around 4:30pm at Elliot Elementary School. I was told I had to provide a drivers license or state ID. I called the woman a "Racist" then chuckled. I already had my drivers license and voter id card in my hand.

Later I took my wife and son up to vote it was her first time in this district. It's a good thing I went with her some horny old coot (probably 70 something in a baseball cap and plaid shirt like they all wear) was hitting on her. She mentioned me and he turned around to see me facing him strong side and looking at him slightly cross. He all of a sudden came to attention and saluted me I gave him a nod and he slithered away.

Same place as me...