• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exercise with Thomas Jefferson!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Worth quoting Wikipedia:

"In 2008, the TV series African American Lives 2 revealed that some of Freeman's great-great-grandparents were slaves who migrated from North Carolina to Mississippi. Freeman also discovered that his caucasian maternal great-great-grandfather had lived with, and was buried beside, Freeman's African-American great-great-grandmother (the two could not legally marry at the time, in the South)."

Also note the man's surname etymology.

I did notice the significance of his name. Didn't know the other stuff, though. Thanks!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
He also made a reference toe the game of golf, calling it "a good walk spoiled."

He was also an OCer for a while. I can't recall exactly, but I think he said it was a little S&W. The book is Roughing It.

Found it: I was armed to the teeth with a pitiful little Smith & Wesson's seven-shooter, which carried a ball like a homoeopathic pill, and it took the whole seven to make a dose for an adult. But I thought it was grand. It appeared to me to be a dangerous weapon. It only had one fault—you could not hit anything with it. One of our "conductors" practiced awhile on a cow with it, and as long as she stood still and behaved herself she was safe; but as soon as she went to moving about, and he got to shooting at other things, she came to grief.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3177/3177-h/3177-h.htm Chapter II, paragraph 2.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

He was also an OCer for a while. I can't recall exactly, but I think he said it was a little S&W. The book is Roughing It.

Found it: I was armed to the teeth with a pitiful little Smith & Wesson's seven-shooter, which carried a ball like a homoeopathic pill, and it took the whole seven to make a dose for an adult. But I thought it was grand. It appeared to me to be a dangerous weapon. It only had one fault—you could not hit anything with it. One of our "conductors" practiced awhile on a cow with it, and as long as she stood still and behaved herself she was safe; but as soon as she went to moving about, and he got to shooting at other things, she came to grief.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3177/3177-h/3177-h.htm Chapter II, paragraph 2.

Haha love the way he describes.

Knew there must have been a reason I spent countless hrs/day as a young lad reading Samuel Clemens.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Haha love the way he describes.

Knew there must have been a reason I spent countless hrs/day as a young lad reading Samuel Clemens.

Yes. Some of his stuff I cannot read without doubling over with laughter, even though I've read it a dozen times across the years and know its coming in the text. Among my favorites was his reply to Bacon supporter in the Shakespeare controversy. Backround picture: In times past there has been considerable controversy about whether the Stratford-on-Avon Shakespeare wrote the plays, sonnets, etc. Twain was invited to a dinner where supporters of the idea that Francis Bacon was the actual writer leaned heavily on Twain to outwardly declare he thought Bacon was the writer. All Twain would say was that he was absolutely certain the Stratford-on-Avon fella did not write the plays. But, he could not say Francis Bacon did. Twain tried to gently end the pressure by saying:

Twain: I guess I'll have to wait until I get to heaven to ask him.

Bacon Supporter: You won't find him in heaven.

Twain: Fine. Then you ask him.

:D Classic Mark Twain!

Back on OC, I swear I have read where he wrote that he also aquired and carried a .36 Navy Revolver, but I'm darned if I can remember where. I thought it was also in Roughing It, just later. But I couldn't find it when I skimmed the text. So, maybe I'm wrong.