• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Connecticut Carry - What happened in New Britain?

Rich B

As we are probably all aware, something went on in New Britain. We had New Britain's common council for the first time talking about mandating concealed carry.

http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2012/06/13/news/doc4fd949348e6fa722599484.txt

In the interest of getting to the bottom of this and finding out what we could do to fix whatever went wrong, we did some research.

Here is the video of common council meeting, trimmed to not include the non relevant parts of the meeting:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/b8f4f2c2-f558-486e-ac46-406be3941d29

That sure seems to be the same thing we are getting out of the news report, so the news report does not seem to be out of place or badly reported.

We were also able to obtain this roll call and resolution from the common council:

http://ctcarry.com/Document/Details/bef65889-31e6-4dc0-aebe-b450096aebcd

This is far more interesting. That resolution is garbage and there is no possible way for it to proceed.

I am including it here for easier discussion and analysis:

Resolution said:
Sec. 16-80. Carrying concealed weapons

(a) [strike]No[/strike] Any person shall be permitted to carry, or wear under his clothes, or conceal upon or about his person any deadly or dangerous weapon including, but not limited to any pistol or revolver, dagger, metal knuckles, razor, sling-shot, blackjack, sword or canegun. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any person who is found with any such weapon or implement concealed upon his person while lawfully removing his household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, nor to any person while actually and peaceable engaged in carrying any such weapon or implement from his place of abode or business to a place or a person where or by whom such weapon or implement is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to his place of abode or business with such weapon or implement after the same has been repaired.

(b) This section shall not apply to any law enforcement officer in the discharge of his duty.

This resolution makes no sense. Even if it was adopted, it would seek to eliminate the need for a pistol permit inside New Britain city limits. There is no way for it to proceed.

The proper way to handle this would to repeal this entire section as none of it is necessary or useful. Barring that, adding a (c) clause with "This section shall not apply to anyone with a valid State or temporary Permit to Carry Pistols or revolvers" would at least accomplish what people have claimed is the aim of this resolution.

Something is very wrong with this resolution and the communications surrounding it.

This resolution is supposed to have another vote in a future council meeting. I would have to assume that the text of this resolution will change once someone who can read looks over it. With the stated purpose of the bill made to the council, I can't imagine it going well for unconcealed carriers.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well, they're idiots .. no debate that day ... people are scared .. well, the gun carrier did not do that; the people who get scared scared themselves. BOO !

KIX

They were told what the state law is - carry as you choose.

The change to the ordinance is geared towards making New Britain the same as CT. On a few occasions, they were thinking the state law was concealed carry - and they were corrected on that a few times as well.

As it stands now, they motion is set to table it so that city council can get the verification that the state law is indeed carry - period. Then, they want to send it to the police chief to see if he agrees that the option is a valid one.

Then it comes back to the council for a vote.

Jonathan

Rich B

They were told what the state law is - carry as you choose.

By whom and by what method?

The change to the ordinance is geared towards making New Britain the same as CT.

Clearly, it is not.

On a few occasions, they were thinking the state law was concealed carry - and they were corrected on that a few times as well.

By whom and by what method?

As it stands now, they motion is set to table it so that city council can get the verification that the state law is indeed carry - period. Then, they want to send it to the police chief to see if he agrees that the option is a valid one.

Then it comes back to the council for a vote.

What comes back for a vote? The resolution as presented is not a sound one and cannot be adopted.

KIX

Rich, the video you posted is from June.

The council hearing and public comments was yesterday, I and CCDL were present.

The language you posted isn't how it stands now.

We had public comments, then they continued with the hearing and we stuck around. When it was going to come to a vote, they recognized the language as it was needed tweaking. They asked us questions (when they didn't need to) after the public comment period.

We clearly stated that the law stipulates a permit to carry.

They did start to finally understand... how do I know, face to face verbal communication.

romma

Jonathan and I were able to support the amendment during the opening comments, and then under new business we (Jonathan and I) were able to explain the state statues and convince them that many people wish to conceal their firearms.

I was also quite clear that there is no prescribed manner of carry in Connecticut, but most would probably conceal their firearms if the ordinance is revised.

They were not happy with the language so I directed the committee to the information on the New London revision and supplied them with a copy of the language, clerks information, a copy of the Connecticut Statutes.
There is little doubt that this modification will pass after some tweaking.

The fact that we showed up to the committee hearing and carefully explained the intent is what swayed some anti gun alderman.

Scott
President
CCDL, Inc

KIX

Especially that one guy that said he was the biggest anti gun there..... then shook his head and said.... I agree with the change..... "can't believe I'm going to say this about a gun ordinance, but I agree!".....

It would be interesting to see how this goes forward. I open carry most of the time (even out of town), but still would like it to be a persons CHOICE as prescribed by the CT statutes.

I don't want to FORCE my open carry beliefs on someone who doesn't like to OC. It is a choice, and I would like to keep it that way.

Jonathan

brk913

Open Carry IS LEGAL per state law.
Why would you even think that it is not allowed in NB?
Anyone following this in the media is bound to be confused, there have been numerous articles stating they are banning OC. For the record what we are hoping NB will do is comply with state law, curently to follow the letter of the law you must OC in NB as they have a town ordinance prohibiting concealed weapons with no exemption for permit holders. What the CCDL and others have been doing is trying to get them to ammend the ordinance to allow permit holders to not only OC but legally CC.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Anyone following this in the media is bound to be confused, there have been numerous articles stating they are banning OC. For the record what we are hoping NB will do is comply with state law, curently to follow the letter of the law you must OC in NB as they have a town ordinance prohibiting concealed weapons with no exemption for permit holders. What the CCDL and others have been doing is trying to get them to ammend the ordinance to allow permit holders to not only OC but legally CC.

Spot on ... they must like people OC in NB hahaha look mommy, a killer with a gun!

GARGOYLE

i was deff confused and also already had somebody called
new britain police on me for open carrying and had to deal
with their BS about people being alarmed or scared and the
possible breach of peace crap(i wasnt charge or anythin but they tried
to scared me with that) obviously it didnt work on me but u get
the point....

brk913

I am surprised that with all that is going on the police are not informed about this, by now everyone in New Britain should know that currently to follow the letter of the law you must carry exposed, you have no choice. I have friends on the force who used to tell me they would arrest anyone for OC, they have since toned down their attitude but I will have to ask them if their is a policy in place for them now...

GARGOYLE

I am surprised that with all that is going on the police are not informed about this, by now everyone in New Britain should know that currently to follow the letter of the law you must carry exposed, you have no choice. I have friends on the force who used to tell me they would arrest anyone for OC, they have since toned down their attitude but I will have to ask them if their is a policy in place for them now...

please do.. i like to see what the answer is... all this happened by me
gettin out of my vehicle for 2 mins to an outdoor redbox!! next thing you
know new britain PD is looking for my vehicle on every street and made a whole
scene about it ( 7 or more police cars searchin until they all pulled me over) i could see
them searchin while i was between cars in traffic at a light....somebody really needs to
train NBPD on the subject....

davidmcbeth

Banned
please do.. i like to see what the answer is... all this happened by me
gettin out of my vehicle for 2 mins to an outdoor redbox!! next thing you
know new britain PD is looking for my vehicle on every street and made a whole
scene about it ( 7 or more police cars searchin until they all pulled me over) i could see
them searchin while i was between cars in traffic at a light....somebody really needs to
train NBPD on the subject....

Maybe Netflix cops in disguise ...